Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this message in the 1st post, but thought I would put it here so that most of you that responded to the first post would probably read this one.
The dealer went back to my bike approximately 5 hours after my ordeal.
The engine cut-off switch was NOT activated. He said that all he did was put the key in the ignition, turn the ignition to on, held the brake and hit the starter button, and it fired up. He didn't touch anything else. He gave me the choice of taking the bike back or going through with the trade.
I went with the trade. He is not going to look for any problems, since it started right up for him. Again, the CUT-OFF SWITCH HAD NOT BEEN ACTIVATED. Sorry to spoil it for those who KNEW what was wrong, and for those who thought it was funny. I hop it doesn't happen to any of you.

LOL
JIM

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I'd be very interested in knowing what the problem was. Apparently either the dealer doesn't believe there is a problem or the dealer has no problem selling the 650 to someone knowing there is an intermittant starting issue with that burgman. Given your experience with bikes and apparent reluctance to service the bike under warranty (not wanting to be without reliable transportation for any amount of time I am guessing) it leaves quite a mystery.
I hope you will have trouble-free motoring with your ST. :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Sorry you had to go through that sort of situation.
If you are ever in my area, (conroe or huntsville) do I get a test ride on the ST? :wink:
The guys in my SCRC group always take their keys out when I get on their STs. :?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Maybe a loose wire to the battery during assembly?

Not that your frustration isn't validated, but it's quite an extreme reaction to trade it in, isn't it? This isn't a case of the bike not being of good quality, it's someone's mistake.

You can understand the suspicion, tho - the dealer hits the start button and it starts up without a problem?

Either way, you'll enjoy the ST1300 - but from what I've read online, Burgmans are very reliable machines. Either the dealer saw you coming, or you had your heart set on the ST1300 all along. Those are two very different machines.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hi Jim,
I wonder if the kill switch experienced a short?

I saw the Honda ST1300 at my dealer today. Does yours come with the built in saddlebags. The one I saw was a candy-apple red and had these really nice and big color-matched saddle bags that can be removed. The bike was designed for these bags to be hooked onto its sides. It is kind of like a vertical GIVI mount where there are no bolts necessary.

It was a very SWEET setup, but it was a HUGE bike for me. And, I didn't like the large humpy gas tank sticking way up. Also, you would think for a bike that big, and the fact that it is desined for cruising or touring (saddlebags) that there would be more electronic gadgets.

Hope you are happy with the ST.

·
Registered
605 Posts
OK then if the kill switch wasn't at fault, was the bike on the side stand?? CHEK light will come on if you have the bike on the side side!!! Safety feature.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The bike will not start (or even turn over) if the side stand is deployed, but that does not turn the CHEC indicator on. At least it did not on my '03 when I tried it last night. Flipping the kill switch off is what activates the CHEC indicator.

We weren't there, but despite what Jim has said in his last posts, I have to write this off to operator error. I am also a long time rider, and I have been bagged by the kill switch on the 650 a couple of times. In each case, I had flipped it by accident without realizing it (or perhaps someone had fiddled with it when I was away from the scooter). But after the 1st time, I know what the problem is when I see CHEK. If the machine was sitting unattended for 5 hours before the dealer got there to retrieve it, any passerby could have played with the kill switch, changing the setting. People have been known to do that.

I'm sorry, but nothing else makes sense. I do not believe it was a mechanical malfunction.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
With lots of bikes under your belt, it's obvious that it wasn't any of the "normal" problems with getting the bike started. So, if I offended you or anyone with my comments, I apologize.

Clearly, there was something amiss on the bike and that would make me suspicious enough, if I was the dealer, to have the bike throughly checked by the service department, before I sold it to another person.

As best as I can tell, the CHEC is only displayed when the Kill Switch is activated. Since you say that Kill was not activated, I have to conclude that either there was some lose electrical connection (i.e.; battery - which does not compute; or a fuse or some other wire) or was not fully disengaged. Did you try to flip the switch forward and back to be sure? I'm not trying to be critical, I'm trying to learn in case I am faced with a similar situation in the future. I've seen no posts on the subject of an on-board computer on the 650, but I would presume that it has something similar (sim card or module) as it is able to keep track of gas mileage. Therefore, is it possible that the onboard "computer" has an unknown problem?

I hope you enjoy riding the ST and I hope you don't have any problems with it.

Joe

·
Registered
307 Posts
Tried it....did it!

My 05 650 displayed exactly the same problem when I forgot the kill switch with the side stand down, right down to the CHEC display on the dash.

Bill

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't know about the 650, but I don't generally use the kill switch on my 400, I leave it on all the time and turn the key like a car, and I get the chec signal when the side stand is down and the key on.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I do use my kill switch but not 100% of the time. Like Hrdillender my AN400K3 CHEC indicator shows when the bike is only on the sidestand and kill switch is in the run position. I bothered me a little the first time and after reading the manual and seeing it as normal it hasn't bothered me since Florida. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Must be a change on the 05s as compared to the 03 above

"The bike will not start (or even turn over) if the side stand is deployed, but that does not turn the CHEC indicator on."

As I tried my 05 specifically yesterday after reading his original post and got the CHEC indicator with the Kill Switch On, but not with the side stand down unless the "KILL" switch is on.

Hope he is happy with the ST-1300 and all the HEAT. A friend just got one and is finding about the HEAT now. It even came with some kind of "strap on" insulation for legs. Mother Honda just hasn't had much luck with radiator and cooling fan placement lately (GL1800s & ST1300s).

·
Registered
806 Posts
The cooling problem (and frame problem for that matter) notwithstanding, the GL1800 is much better than the old 1500.

But I have met three people that bought the ST1300 that wish they had their 1100 back.

·
Registered
719 Posts
jglawso said:
The engine cut-off switch was NOT activated. He said that all he did was put the key in the ignition, turn the ignition to on, held the brake and hit the starter button, and it fired up. He didn't touch anything else.
Yes, I understand. Would you mind closing your eyes for a moment and telling me about the first memories you have of your childhood.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
jglason wrote:
The engine cut-off switch was NOT activated. He said that all he did was put the key in the ignition, turn the ignition to on, held the brake and hit the starter button, and it fired up. He didn't touch anything else.
Apparently it was on the centerstand.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Selias said:
Apparently it was on the centerstand.
Or the condition which causes the CHECK indication to appear when the kill switch has not been activated also allows the scooter to be started with the side stand down.

·
Registered
611 Posts
No-one's mentioned the brake. If you don't apply the brake, do you get the same result?

My little Yamaha Zuma fires up immediately for me - but several people have had a problem getting it to start - because they weren't pulling the brake hard enough.

Of course - this is all water under the bridge now. I hope you enjoy the ST. :)

http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/ST1300/

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Just two quick thoughts here
the dealer said- yea, but how many people touched the bike before he look at it.

I once had my 400 up on the table lift-finished an oil change and went to start it-dead, checked everything, nothing worked, let it back down to look it over some more, did nothing hit the starter it fired right up.
My point is no problem, with the bike, but I had to wonder about my brain --did I pull the brake hard enough, was I really pushing the starter button maybe it was a Brain Far##.
To be honest in this case I think he wanted a problem ( he was not happy with the scooter)so he found one,
and I don't mean to imply it was done on purpose. As we all know the brain is a lot more complex then our scooters :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'd put my money on the Kill switch being activated. During the five hour time the dealer had the bike, someone probably touched the kill switch.

I have found my kill switch moved :shock: numerous times when people have come to oogle over my bike. It's human nature to want to play with switches.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the bike. I just hope it's new owner takes the time to READ the manual! 8)

I also hope jglawso enjoys his new ST 1300 - it's a wonderful bike!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts