Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Dero, my 400 does that and the Reflex before it. Just the way they are made...gotta have a little "play" in them. I expect the 650 is the same.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
You've got 5 gear wheels. There will be a tiny bit of play between each one. I think 1.5mm at the wheel rim is a very small amount of lash considering that.

I'm confident that you can come up with better things to worry about. :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Most of the play is from the chain with the V-Strom (or any chain drive bike). I learned long ago that adjusting a chain too tight causes it to stretch and wear out prematurely. I keep it within spec. I've only had to adjust it once - a very small amount at about 5,000 miles. The dealer also adjusted it at the 7,500 mile service. I had checked it a couple of weeks prior to the service and it was right at the loose end of spec.

A shaft drive also has some play - probably as much or more than the gear drive on the Burgman 650. I think that the belt final drive bikes would have almost none. I don't think there is any slack at all in the belt, so any play would be directly from the transmission gears.

Except for the chain drive bike, I don't worry much about this. Even with the chain drive I just check the slack once in a while. Chains and sprockets do wear out, usually within 18,000 miles. Shaft/Gear drive systems should be good for well over 100,000 miles (except for some of the BMWs, which have had some problems with spline wear).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts