Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the oils and all the filters today on the 2005 . Who ever did the last final gear oil change stripped the allen drain bolt out . I drilled it out then used an easy out to turn it out , only took a few minutes and I had an extra from the few Burgs I've parted out . If this ever happens to you and you have to drill it out , make sure you look inside the hole for the little magnet that will be inside the drain hole after drilling . In the picture you'll see the magnet , and the easy out that is now stuck in the drain bolt . After drilling and removing the bolt I used a pair of very thin needle nose pliers and pulled the magnet right out . This was actually a very simple no brainer fix , but I had the proper tool and an extra drain plug .

These drain plugs are very easy to strip so be careful , and it's a good idea to have an extra one on hand .

TheReaper!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Yeah you need to make sure you have the allen wrench seated very firmly into the plug. Past that when I break the plug loose I don't do it by just turning the wrench. When doing that the wrench wants to walk out and strip the hole. I take the heal of my hand and give the wrench a couple of pops to break it loose. Kind of like what would happen with an impact wrench. The shock will usually break it loose and then you can screw it out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
One of the first things I did last year when I bought my 06 was strip the hole. I immediately sent for a replacement and a spare. I didn't have an easy out so I took it to my dealer who did the first final drive change. I now am the proud owner of an easy out set - Craftsman.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I broke off a bolt in the engine block when putting a starter in my Isuzu Trooper once. Was a HUGE pain in the ass. I had to remove a lot of stuff to get to the point where I could get straight on the bolt to drill it and use an ez-out. Ugh. UGH!!! I ended up putting that same starter in 3 times.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I broke off a bolt in the engine block when putting a starter in my Isuzu Trooper once. Was a HUGE pain in the ass. I had to remove a lot of stuff to get to the point where I could get straight on the bolt to drill it and use an ez-out. Ugh. UGH!!! I ended up putting that same starter in 3 times.
How well I know :help: :cussing: :banghead:

When I fist saw that the plug was stripped I thought RUTTRAW !! But the whole ordeal went text book perfect , 10 minutes later all was well in Reaper Land . Needless to say I felt very lucky to have it all go so well , normally when some thing like this happens to me it's a day long ordeal . OR WORSE !!!

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Easy-Out's work with bolts this size.

On 6 and 8 mm bolts you usually end up with a broken Easy-Out, making it even harder to drill out the bolt. DAMHIK

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah you need to make sure you have the allen wrench seated very firmly into the plug. Past that when I break the plug loose I don't do it by just turning the wrench. When doing that the wrench wants to walk out and strip the hole. I take the heal of my hand and give the wrench a couple of pops to break it loose. Kind of like what would happen with an impact wrench. The shock will usually break it loose and then you can screw it out.
It does need a pop to break it loose , I use a socket and a hammer with a light pop and they come right off , amazingly so . Once you pop it , it feels like it was a tad above finger tight .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you used an easy out to remove the upper fill bolt, would little bits of the bolt material fall inside the gear case? I've never had to use one.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you used an easy out to remove the upper fill bolt, would little bits of the bolt material fall inside the gear case? I've never had to use one.
Actually all the chips from drilling came out on the outside . And the magnet that is on the end of the plug was right there at the opening , I was able to grab it with a small needle nose plier . Like I said above the entire procedure took about 10 minutes , perfect text book removal .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've done several of these through the years and I take a brass hammer and tap the face of the plug to squash the gasket a little further then drive a torques bit that is just a little bigger in the hex hole.
Has worked every time...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts