Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ther I am, doing my 600 mile service. Saving myself so hard earned green. Engine oil and filter, piece of cake. :D Transmission oil, bit of a challenge but with a little "engineering", using a drinking straw, a funnel, some tape and a graduated measuring cup, I got it sorted out. :wink: Moving on to the final drive. I loosen the drain bolt, then try the fill bolt and it promptly strips the hex hole. :shock: I spoke some words that would make a sailor faint and jumped up and down a bit. :x Now I am sitting here with a filler bolt that I have no idea how to remove. I thought I saw someone mention this before but after about ten minutes and countless variations of "stripped" and "bolt" and "final drive" I couldn't find the info on how to get that bugger out.
:cry:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
This is happening to enough people that I have to wonder what's going on.

First, is it really a hex hole, or is it a Torx hole? If folks are using the wrong tool, that could explain it.

As for what to do; first, get a replacement plug. It's Part # 09248-18004, shown as #9 on the fiche linked to below, and they run about $6.00.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0346/case_final/case_final.bmp

After the replacelement arrives, you can work at getting the stuck one out.

Several options have been suggested:

Weld an old driver bit onto the stripped plug,

Drill a couple of holes in the flange of the stripped plug and stick some pins in the holes on which to grip with a crescent wrench and the like,

Fill the hole with two-part epoxy, stick in an old driver, wait for it to harden, then try to remove,

Cut a slot into the plug-head with a rotary tool (Dremmel, etc.), then use a chisel in the slot as a driver,

Take it to the dealer and let them get it out for you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had this problem on my burg, where I stripped out the Hex socket on the final drive drain plug. I removed the factory-installed plug fairly easy. Using a hammer and chisel I carefully tapped around the outer edge of the plug in a counter-clockwise rotation.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I guess I was lucky. I didn't strip out the head, just snapped off 2 different hex bits before the 3rd one finally broke it loose. The manufacturer or assembler needs to learn the term "torque wrench".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks brian. My first thought was to Epoxy a hex key in there but I didn't wanna sacrifice a good allen wrench. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet there. I had also thought of cutting a slot with a dremel tool and using an impact wrench as that has worked in the past for me but I was kinda worried about doing that seeing as how its the final drive that the bolt is stuck in. those other two ideas didn't even cross my mind.... That's why I love forums like this. Everybody's got a different piece of the puzzle.

Stupid bolt, the bottom one was a pain to break loose but it came loose. That top one seems to be welded in. I think you're right Buzz. Spec on those bolts is 24 ftlbs of torque but it's gotta have three times that on it. I had to practically stand on the bottom one to break it loose.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I found that when I did my first gear oil change ,to synthetic lube, that I encountered it being hard to remove also. The bottom plug was easy, the top "filler" bolt ,very hard :twisted:

I found that I used a torque wrench on mine , the display read 57 pounds as the top bolt finally broke loose.

Must have been a bad day at the factory :eek:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I changed my final drive oil at 14k miles, just after I bought the bike. The fill plug was partly stripped when I started, and completely stripped when I finished. The final drive was full of metal flakes, too. I suspect the previous owner (or his mechanic) noticed that he was starting to strip the fill plug and punted on the whole oil change. I haven't removed the stripped plug yet, but plan to try JBWeld first, and a big EZ-Out if that fails.

To get up & running, though, pick up a big syringe or baster and some vinyl tubing. Wrap a wad of paper towels around the tube and stuff it in the drain hole. "Inject" the correct amount of oil (measured) plus a little bit, then pull the paper towels out and quickly insert the drain plug.

I was able to pull this off with only a few drops of oil spilled, and it got me back on the road much quicker than trying to remove the stripped plug and waiting for a replacement to come in.

BTW, I used a 60cc syringe I bought at a local feed & tack shop for a couple bucks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Since it looks like these plugs are assembled incorrectly at the factory, to those who are attempting it for the first time service, I would suggest, prior to using the allen wrench to do the following:

Take a center punch and at the outside diameter of the plug, hammer an indentation.
Next, angle the center punch to drive it in a counterclockwise direction and give it a good couple of whacks. This should break the torque tension and allow the allen wrench to do the job.
I would bet money they use lock-tite in the assembly process, plus after 14000 miles the expansion/contraction from heat/cold and aging does a number on seizing of the threads

·
Registered
605 Posts
All these great suggestions except one....don't weld. An electrical welder will probably fry some delicate electronics like the ECU or the ABS computer if you have an Executive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts