Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This belt thing (not that there is anything wrong with it) is totally new to me and have noticed a certain smell after our 100-150 mile rides. We keep our bikes in the double garage next to the families main ride and this has become evident after each ride. The smell is not a burning smell but it is a smell that speaks of wear. Is there anything to be concerned about?

Pastor Tyler

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
How old is your scooter and how many miles are on it? How long have you had it? Is it possible that it is maybe just that new scooter smell? I doubt you need to worry about it but a little more information may help us understand what you are trying to explain.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
As model28 mentions, some more info would be good as to how old the bike is etc and what model. But generally, I would not think there is anything wrong. Scooters tend to smell a bit when new or after a hard ride. The engines get very hot and live encased in plastic which also gets warm in some areas. The exhaust and cat is very hot and does smell of hot metal (if you see what I mean!). The clutch dust on the rear wheel of a 400 will also exhibit a hot smell too quite often. Come back with more info please.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
How many miles have you put on it? If more than a few thousand, you should pull the case apart and clean out the rubbber dust from the variator. And check the belt for wear.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It's more likely its the clutch you smell than the belt. They run a bit warm and, if new, its still breaking in.

This is my standard recommendation for riding the 400...

Depending on riding style, terrain and load, the clutch pads have a tendency to heat up and glaze after a while, 5k-20k miles. It's not a big deal and happens on most CVTs. The glaze just need to be sanded off. The shops I've had it done at charge $40-90.

However, to help alleviate this, try to blip the throttle on take-off to 4500 rpm, then adjust your speed accordingly. This maneuver will engage the clutch quickly and limit heat buildup. You can't avoid heating the clutch altogether, but this technique will lessen the severity and extend the time between deglazings.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Next time you pull open the case, to clean out belt dust, lightly sand the clutch pads and housing with fine emery paper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The smell was no doubt the oil dripping from the oil filler cap. The o-ring was not doing it's job and was allowing a small amount to blow past it and make a mess under the bike and cause the smell.

I found one at my local Ace hardware and all is well. We just returned from a 1100 mile trip through Arkansas.

The bike preformed flawlessly. The final day we caught I-20 at Ruston, La and slabbed it the rest of the way to Jackson, Mississippi. The wife pushed me and my BMW R1100RS the entire ride on the interstate with her 400 Burgman. It handled anything and everything as far as steep grades or curves.

Many thanks for the help in getting it ready.

Pastor Tyler

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Pastor, that's great news! Glad you enjoyed the trip. There isn't too much that goes wrong on a Burgman 400. They are truly an incredible bike. But correct servicing is the thing with them as with any bike or scoot. Is yours a new model? If you pop your bike details in your profile so it comes up in each post you make, we can always see what model you have and answer any queries you may have with greater accuracy. You do that by going to the 'user control panel' which has it's own button along near the top of the page. Any issues with that just let us know for help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I get a smell too, especially if multiple takeoffs....it always makes me wonder if something is going wrong down there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts