Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
ONE QUESTION: Where can I buy 'Key Blanks' for the Suzuki 2018 Burgman 400? The Suzuki is not returning calls to my dealership and all the key blanks that I find are up to 2017. I don't know if the key blank were changed in 2018?? It seems strange that no one including Suzuki would not carry key blanks for a 2 year old Suzuki Burgman. I did look on eBay, but found nothing on 2018 for the B400.
(below are keys for B400 up to 2017)
2003 - 2017 Suzuki Burgman Scooter AN400, AN650, UH200 Key Blanks
if you want the magnetic head that operates the shutter, they can be ordered and assembled, there's posts on here somewhere, if you just want a flat bodied spare you can get one at places that cut keys but you will have to cut back the head to make the shank long enough, i keep one in my wallet.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
if you want the magnetic head that operates the shutter, they can be ordered and assembled, there's posts on here somewhere, if you just want a flat bodied spare you can get one at places that cut keys but you will have to cut back the head to make the shank long enough, i keep one in my wallet.
mikeyMarine, I have the k9 Burgman 650 and have had no problems ordering key blanks(without the magnet) in the past. I have 2 extra Burgman 650 key that were easy to order through the dealership. I bought them as spares without any problem. I see enough 'Google search' links for 2003-2017 Burgman 400. I wanted to know if 2018 keys for the B400 are any different than the keys for the B400 -2017 and earlier. That seems to be the dilema.
The YouTube video below explains my problem the best, but I am not sure that the keys that he bought were for a 2017 or earlier B400? -or is the 2018 really that different on the ignition keys?? I have no problems buying the flat bodied spare if it is for the 2018 B400.

·
Administrator
17,687 Posts
I think not too many members have this knowledge. Very few 2018's on here.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Given the relatively minor changes to the 2018 I would be shocked....shocked I say!....if they were different. If it were me I would just go ahead and order the blanks, or go to a well-stocked locksmith and have one made and try it.

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
if it's convenient, drop in at a stealership and eyeball a 18 key.(and maybe a pretty motorcycle sellin wench, )

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The dealership was finally able to order the keys for the B400. I don't know what the mystery was about ordering the keys, but at least for now I'm waiting for the parts(windscreen, top box, keys) to arrive before I take ownership of the B400.

I think not too many members have this knowledge. Very few 2018's on here.
Given the relatively minor changes to the 2018 I would be shocked....shocked I say!....if they were different. If it were me I would just go ahead and order the blanks, or go to a well-stocked locksmith and have one made and try it.
if it's convenient, drop in at a stealership and eyeball a 18 key.(and maybe a pretty motorcycle sellin wench, )

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I finally bought the Burgman 400. Between the rain in L.A., I wanted to put at least 100 miles so I could get an idea of what I purchased.

The Burgman 400 is not like any motorcycle or scooter I had before and I had all the major brands(Honda 150 Elite, 250 Elite, 250 Helix, 600 Silverwing, Suzuki 650 Burgman, and about 10 Honda Elite/Metropolitan 50cc scooters) If I would compare the Burgman 400, it seems closest to my Honda Helix 250 -but even this is not correct.

The lines blur in the world of motorcycles as I had so many UJM, metric V-Twins, 4 Goldwings, and a Valkyrie, but did they feel like motorcycles? My Norton 850 Commando, Harley Road King Classic, BMW R650LS, R1100RS, R1200R and Honda Rebel 250 really felt like real motorcycles. The last motorcycle that I sold was my 2013, Honda Goldwing 1800 which felt more like sitting on a "boat" with 6 cylinders, left-hand clutch, left-foot gear shift, right-hand brake -but the Honda Goldwing 1800 F6B was about as close to a motorcycle as the Burgman 650 is to a scooter.

If we are talking about CamAm Rykers, the Burgman 400 is like the Ryker 600 twin, while the Burgman 650 would be the Ryker 900 triple -both Burgmans(B400/B650) outperforms respectively the Ryker(600/900) and cost much less. The Burgmans are more reliable than the Rykers and Can-Am Spyders according to statistical data, customer satisfaction and recalls.

As I now own both the Burgman 650 and Burgman 400 -The Burgmans run like motorcycles, look like scooters, but both the B400 and B650 don't exactly feel like scooters or motorcycles and I have had owned a lot of scooters and motorcycles.

Right now I have only 150 miles on the B400 getting about 60mpg(120 miles filled up with about 2 gallons of gas). The B400 feels very small compared to the B650. I'm still in the process of 'breaking-in/wearing-in' the B400 so my speed is more around the 40-50 mph, seldom at 60 mph.

I wanted the storage space of the B650 so I have the 56 liters Givi Top Case on the B400.

The problem with the ignition keys had been addressed in another post. The keys that the dealership ordered(Suzuki Key Part #: #3714614G00) are the ones that after they are cut, you have to cut the upper key portion to lock the steering column. They work, so I'm not complaining.

Clearly, I understand why the B400 is a great commuter bike being much lighter with a small footprint than the B650. I understand how much fun the B400 can be once 'broken-in'. L.A. traffic is much lighter due to the quarantine, but the B400 is fun with or without traffic. You get a bit of the shudder with the BMW horizontal twins, Harley rubber mounted engines, but once going both motorcycles are smooth. Same as the B400 with a little shudder from a standing start that smooths out once you get going.

I have about 33,000 miles on my B650 so 150 miles on the B400 qualifies me as a test rider on the B400. Thus far the B650 has never left me stranded as I picked up my K9 in 2011 and it is still running strong. I am looking forward to many trouble-free miles on the B400.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

This is what it is like to peacefully cruise to the middle of "No Where" on my Burgman 650. I look forward to doing the same on the Burgman 400.
Below is a fairly accurate video of the Burgman 400 with the short experience I have had riding it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
There are some keen observations in this thread.....before I decided which size to get I would have loved it. R1200 is doing a great job and I would like him to share his findings with this site too: MaxG | Comparison: Burgman 400 vs. Burgman 650

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
There are some keen observations in this thread.....before I decided which size to get I would have loved it. R1200 is doing a great job and I would like him to share his findings with this site too: MaxG | Comparison: Burgman 400 vs. Burgman 650
DarisPakar, after I get a couple thousand miles on my B400 -I'll do a comparison test as you posted on the link to "MaxG | Comparison: Burgman 400 vs. Burgman 650". I agree with so many of those who posted to "MaxG | Comparison: Burgman 400 vs. Burgman 650". These are experienced riders who have also had other motorcycles and scooters.

My Goldwing 1800 was much easier to push around the garage than my B650. In many ways the B400 and the B650 are very different with the exception that both are scooters made by Suzuki -and also very similar that both have the advantages of the scooter. For a while I was doing so much touring on my B650, that is when I decided to buy my Goldwing 1800 F6B -sadly that is when I stopped touring to focus more on my work.

If a person is a rookie rider -riding a Honda Rebel 300, Suzuki 250, Hayabusa, Kawasaki Ninja H2 tubocharged, etc. -anything on two wheels is fun. The reason why I owned so many motorcycles and scooters when I first started riding.

The post from "MaxG | Comparison: Burgman 400 vs. Burgman 650" has a lot of thought put into not picking the "Best motorcycle" rather picking the "Right motorcycle😊" for your riding needs. My riding needs right now leans more toward the B400(urban traffic in L.A. -occasional touring), but with only 150 miles on the odometer, I'm sure I'll learn a lot more about the B400 in the next 12 months. There is nothing wrong with the B650 as I plan to keep it.

Right now I'm the 'rookie' owner of a B400 -so I don't feel qualified to do an in-depth review. Much like what I see on "Motorcycle.com". You have a bunch of editors who spend a day with the motorcycle/scooter and ready to give you their professional opinion on what motorcycle is best to buy. This type of review is okay to give a brief overview of the motorcycle/scooter. However someone who spends at least 10,000+ miles on a motorcycle/scooter riding through rough winds, rain, hail, sleet -packed gear on the bike for touring, used everyday for commuting are the motorcycle/scooter owners who really know the strengths and weaknesses of their particular ride.

As of now I have nothing negative to say about the B400 or B650. Strangely the B400 rides closest to the Harley Sportster 883 Iron -with respect to seating positions. The 883 Iron when riding feels like a small motorcycle and has a smaller fuel tank than the B400. I was told after breaking in the 883, -- 80 mph is the most I should go without harming the engine, while 70 mph is a better cruising speed for the 883. The 883 gas tank is 3.3 gallons with over twice the displacement of the B400 with 3.6 gallons. Both bikes are 'belt' driven without having to oil any chains as I would have to do with the Rebel 500 or SV650. This is an odd approach on how I chose the B400. If I bought the Harley 883 Iron, I would have still purchased the passenger seat, passenger footpegs, back rest/rack, mountings, etc. with a bag that hold 5.6 liters of carry space and a windscreen.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts