Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work today and still on my first tank of dealer-supplied gas, I noticed that the fuel pump symbol started flashing with one bar showing on the display. 120 miles on the odo, BTW.

Since I really didn’t know for sure if they had filled it up completely on delivery, I decided to fill up on the way home and reset the trip meter so I’d know exactly how many miles I’d driven on the second FULL tank.

Living in suburban Philadelphia, many gas pumps have hoses with the rubber “bellows” that capture the gas fumes escaping from the tank while fueling. These bellows-equipped hoses require that you push the nozzle in far enough to compress the bellows a particular amount or the pump will not operate. This is a real annoyance when refueling a car, IMO. On the other hand, it does help with smog.

When I attempted to put gas in the 650, I couldn’t get the nozzle in far enough to compress the bellows to the amount necessary to allow the pump to start dispensing fuel.

Looking in the fuel neck of the 650, I could see there is a crossbar that stops a nozzle from being inserted past a certain point. This is what prevented me from compressing the bellows to the required amount.

So, I drove to the next station in hopes that they had a pump without bellows. The first pump HAD a bellows, so I went to the next one which did not. I managed to fill up without incident other than making sure to use a slower fill rate than you would on a car. I guess that’s a good idea with the small tank on the 650.

Anyone else experience this problem with bellows-equipped fuel nozzles, or do you think it was this a case of a a poorly adjusted one?

BTW, I’m really starting to feel comfortable on the 650, my first bike after a 20 year hiatus. Looks like I made a good choice. AS IF THERE WAS ANY QUESTION!

Bob

·
Registered
90 Posts
All pumps in regulated areas have that type of handle. Most I've had no problems with. If you do, just hold the bellows back; like filling portable gas tanks. Then fill as normal. the tank stop is for not overfilling the tank. Give fuel expansion run with engine produced heat. Being an old rider who just got back into riding after 10 years, I agree, the Burg is great.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have had to refuel motorcycles before using those bellows equipped pumps. Just hold that silly contraption back with your other hand as Kelly stated. Thankfully, we don't have those where I live. And I don't believe we have any people keeling over from fumes from gas pumps either. :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Almost all the pumps in my area have the bellows, and those that don't have to phase them in over the next few years.

I've found that I can pull it back with my free hand, then press it into the body of the bike and let go. It doesn't always work, but I'm happy when it does becasue I don't like the smell of gas on my hand.

pauljo said:
...I don't believe we have any people keeling over from fumes from gas pumps either. :wink:
I know you were speaking tonque in cheek, but just to be fair long-term exposure to even small amounts has been shown to increase the risk of cancer.

The fumes also add to overall air pollution, and recycling them and condensing them back into the station's tank can also save fuel in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts