Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two week old 2014 Burgman 200 with about 650 miles, i just did my 600 mile oil change. Two days ago i added some seafoam to about half a tank of gas and i think i added a little more than the recommended amount, it ran fine the next morning to work, about 30 miles. Later in the day i took it out on my lunch break and rode a couple miles, ate lunch. When i started scooter again, my FI light came on and stayed on while i was riding, the acceleration hesitated just for a second; i pulled over and cut the engine off, started it back up and the light was not on and engine running fine. I rode a couple miles back to the office with no problems. I called my suzuki dealership and spoke to the service department, the guy told me i probably just had some trash or water in the tank and the fi system was reacting to it passing through, it should be good to ride, but if it happened again bring it in and they would check it out. I forgot to mention that the starting of the scoot was hesitant a couple times before the light came on. I rode the scooter home, again about 30 mile, after topping off the tank. Again, no problem, it ran like a charm. My question: does the servicemans advice sound legit to you experienced riders? Could the additive to the gas caused that?

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
The engine is not designed to run on Sea Foam, it is a cleaner. I feel that you had a strong mixture of Sea Foam and gas and by diluting the Sea Foam concentration with adding more gas, you corrected the problem. Just my $.02! Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying Wes, that's about my take on the matter too; i just needed someones reassurance on the matter. I was hoping to take a preventative measure with carb buildup by adding the sea foam, i guess sometimes being too preventative creates more of a problem than you're trying to cure. And I am enjoying the new ride immensely; I love the Burgman!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Why would you add seafoam to a new bike? I've used seafoam when I had a problem but that hasn't happened in this century. I don't add anything and I have had no problems of any kind.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
The Seafoam my have been the problem and it may not have been. All the FI indicator really tells you is that the PCM in the bike received a signal it did not expect from a sensor or it did not receive a signal at all from a sensor. Depending on which sensor it was the bike would go in to a fail safe mode until the FI indicator is cleared. The fail safe mode is designed to allow the bike to continue at a reduced performance level even though the PCM has detected a possible problem. When you turned off the engine it cleared the FI indicator. When you restarted what ever caused it did not reoccur so the indicator was not reset and the bike ran fine. It could have just been a glitch and it may never occur again.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Why would you add seafoam to a new bike? I've used seafoam when I had a problem but that hasn't happened in this century. I don't add anything and I have had no problems of any kind.
+1. Case of too much cure and no illness.

My bike has 40k miles and I've only used fuel injector cleaner ONCE about a year ago when I had FI problems. And that turned out to be unnecessary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Osbornk, I have read conflicting statements that adding two caps full of cleaner to the gas periodically is a good preventative measure for ethanol treated gas; helps prevent carbon buildup. I thought it sounded legit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buffalo, I hope thats all it was. Thank you for the advice, if it occurs again I will get it to the dealership. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Liamjs, i feel you are right. I need to learn to keep my hands off things. lol

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If it aint broke dont fix it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been having problems with my FI light for 2 years, apparently due to a defective Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator(see thread "STVA-FI #4) The Dealer and Suzuki want me to replace the entire throttle body assembly for $500+labor.Grease alone helped in 2012 , BUT NOT NOW. DON' LET SUZUKI TELL YOU OTHERWISE.SEA FOAM IS IRREVELANT AS WELL AS WATER, ETC BE SURE YOU HAVE WARRANTY COVER IT WITHIN MILEAGE AS WELL AS TIME

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I was hoping to take a preventative measure with carb buildup by adding the sea foam, i guess sometimes being too preventative creates more of a problem than you're trying to cure. I love the Burgman!

No carb on Burgie, Fuel Injection !

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I've been having problems with my FI light for 2 years, apparently due to a defective Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator(see thread "STVA-FI #4) The Dealer and Suzuki want me to replace the entire throttle body assembly for $500+labor.Grease alone helped in 2012 , BUT NOT NOW. DON' LET SUZUKI TELL YOU OTHERWISE.SEA FOAM IS IRREVELANT AS WELL AS WATER, ETC BE SURE YOU HAVE WARRANTY COVER IT WITHIN MILEAGE AS WELL AS TIME
So just change it ! Mechanical part do break down, wear, become defective, etc. and yes water can cause damage !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fortunately I have the extended warranty. I will follow up if it occurs again; then I will take it to the dealer. I just wish the dealer was closer than 78 miles away. :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cheri,
Il n'est pas bien! A part should not wear out within the first year of use., or even after only a few thousand miles. There definitely has been a manufacturer defect for the FI light to stay on so soon!

Ah, "if only to ride again!!!!!!"...........

·
Registered
64 Posts
Note: This previous Forum discussion can be found by using the FORUM search(not google) for "Bad STVA, help", which will show the link for Berganaut, who started the discussion on 4/2/2010. Clicking on this will reveal 4 pages relating to the FI Light problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts