Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m 2,500 miles into a three week cross country trip on my 2012 Burgman 650 Executive. Today after refueling in Cody, Wyoming about a 1/4 mile up the road I got an FI A error code. (Solid FI and flashing FI displaying in the odometer display.) I immediately returned to the gas station where I had just filled up, turned off the engine dug into the manual and did some reading here in the forums.

When I restarted my engine the error code was no longer there. I then drove 350 miles to and through Yellowstone National Park, not a single problem... that is until I refueled in Jackson, Wyoming at the end of the journey and encountered the the same error code about the same distance after refueling.

I then pulled over on the side of the road turned the engine off and then turned back on and the error code disappeared.

One thing that I’ve noticed that is peculiar about the fuel they sell here is that the octane is odd relative to what stations sell anywhere else I’ve traveled.

Typically I fill up with 87 octane but in Wyoming they sell 85 and 88 octane. I’ve chosen 88 each time. Each gas station is also consistent in indicating that non-ethanol gas is available. As far as I’m aware the gas that I typically fill up with outside of Wyoming includes ethanol so I’ve been using the fuel that includes ethanol here. I mention this as it just seems odd to me that they’re persistent about advertising the the non-ethanol option.

The octane and or the ethanol could be completely irrelevant, another thought that crossed my mind was possibly the altitude.

In any instance, the bike is running as good as it ever has and I have yet to experience any problems whatsoever with the exception of the error code after refueling. Being that I’m traveling solo such long distances in such a rural part of the country though, it is extremely unnerving to see the error code.

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
The FI light will reset every time you shut the bike off. To read the codes you must have the 'Dealer Select' switch plugged in and while the bike is still running flip the switch. You can also use a paper clip reshaped into a U and inserted into the connector.

Octane at sealevel needs to be higher. So 87 octane at sealevel, the same requirement at 5,600 feet is 85 octain.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
271 Posts
It doesn't seem octane or ethanol related to me. Would something in the evap system set an FI code? I ask that because I believe the Burgmans have an evap system, and because it happened to you just after refilling the tank. Just throwing it out there. An improperly functioning evap system probably would not affect the way the engine runs … but might set a code. I just don't know if it would set the FI light. Maybe someone here can shed some light, or tell me I'm crazy.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would check the fuel ... buoyant ? signal, for weird values or shortcircuits in certain positions.

Being sensible to the fuel octanes seems a bit too much tech for our burgman, but i may be wrong.

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
The FI code will not set for a fuel issue in most cases. The ECM uses sensors for many things and it takes a lot to get in the alarm state.

I'd say that if you can, get or make a 'Dealer Select' switch and plug it in but in the OFF position. Then if the FI code comes on again, DO NOT SHUT THE BIKE OFF. Flip the Dealer switch on and wait for the codes to flash.

The connector is under the seat on the left side of a Burgman 650. So you would need to shut the bike off to pop the seat. Now the code is erased in 2-5 seconds. This is why you must have the switch installed when ever you start seeing ant FI lights.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Dave_J Thank you for the helpful and insightful reply. Might you have any insight on how to make the “Dealer Select” switch?

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
Justin, all you need is a water resistant on/off switch, some wire and a bit of soldering skills. I have one somewhere in the garage I made.

The switch needs to be ran somewhere you can get to with the bike still running. I made my wires long enough to reach up to the left small cargo box up front. Then snaked the wire down to where the connector is on the left side under the seats edge. I twisted the wire tips and soldered them and then used a file to make a square'ish tip that slides into the connector.

Or you can use a Paper Clip.

I think you have 2-5 seconds to shut the engine off and restart it before it dumps the codes. So if you're quick, while still running put it on center stand, shut the engine off, quickly pop the trunk latch but don't wait to open it yet, re start it, THEN open the seat and put the paper clip in the two right side female connectors.

Dealer Mode connector.jpg 1.jpg

2.jpg 3.jpg

·
Administrator
18,362 Posts
You are on a road trip so ordering a Dealer Mode switch is kind of out. But they are $19.99 on Ebay with free shipping.

Dealer Mode switch.jpg Dealer Mode switch 3.jpg

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
you need to put the scoot in dealer mode to find out what code you are getting
F1 Special Tool

once you have the code you can then start your diagnosis cycl

find the code on this page if you don't have a service manual, it is under f1-cvt malfunction code and code 2

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use 91 (conoco) or 93 octane myself. Either NOS or KLUTZ to boost octane. Star Tron for ethanol. Friend works scheduling gas to be delivered to refineries. We know of NO non ethanol gas as it is a daily fine for refinery for a few years now (we were pissed off). Shell premium has been mentioned more than once to me for extra cleaners. 2003 650 Burgman so less electronics to it. Cheveron compleate fuel treatment? BK44? (Lucus or Sea Foam?)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've just returned from the 25 day, 7,000 mile trip I was on when this happened and wanted offer an update for any who read this in the future and are curious.

I witnessed this code 8 days into my trip. It happened on the day that I posted this to the forum and it happened again when I refueled the following day - same exact scenario as described above - but after those two occasions I did not see the error again in the following 17 days I was on the road. Whether it was a fluke, or there was something that caused the error that worked itself out I do not know, but I was glad that I didn't see the error again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts