Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is a worn out issue but anyway I would like to get the members experience about it.
1) What is the best fuel grade for the AN 400, I can choose between 95 octane and 98 (both unleaded) ?
2) when the meter is on the left side of the RED range I can fill about 10.5 liters of fuel (2.77 USG). Since there are 13 liters in the tank are the 2.5 liters hiding below the red range ?
3) My fuel consumption is about 50.5 MPG (US) for the 95 octane, mostly out of city at 60 to 70 MPH, 80% only me on the burgi. Odometer is about 3000 miles, is that a normal fuel consumption ?

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
I stick with the regular grade of fuel since it's what's recommended for the Burgman and premium fuel doesn't provide better milage / performance.

The fuel guage on the 400 is highly pessimistic. I ignore the guage and use the trip meters instead. When the guage shows empty, I'm at about 1/2 a tank. I normally put 170 - 180 miles between fillups. I estimate I can easily put 200 miles on with the worst mileage I've gotten so far on the 400.

The mileage you're seeing is just a little bit below mine and is on the low side of the scale. Some riders are getting in the high sixties and even a few in the low seventies. A lot of the mileage will depend on your riding style and the type of riding you do. I've noticed a sharp decrease when riding at 65-75 MPH over backroad crusing at 45-55. If you have a heavy hand on the throttle, you'll also show a decrease in MPG.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Bendi said:
3) My fuel consumption is about 50.5 MPG (US) for the 95 octane, mostly out of city at 60 to 70 MPH, 80% only me on the burgi. Odometer is about 3000 miles, is that a normal fuel consumption ?
Funnily enough - the same as me! ( I tend to ride 70 - 80mph. :twisted: )

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
When I owned a 400 I got 60 mpg US at the worst and 70 mpg US average, riding 2 up @ 55-60 mph. Higher speed Does cost you mileage.

This may sound odd, but I believe lower octane may be better for you. Higher octane is Not more powerful, but really requires more compression to fire. Higher performance engines require it because of detonation, (pre-ignition). The olny time you need to go to higher octane is if you are experincing pre-ignition or detonation. Usually associated with high temperatures.

Lower octane fuels I think are really more flammable than higher octane. I know lower octanes(87+) work better for me espically with colder temps.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Might want to also take into consideration that in really cold weather you will get less miles per gal; at least thats the experience 3 of us riding 400's have had. Went from nearly 70 mpg to about 60 mpg. Wonder if it has anything to do with the way gas is formulated for winter use?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
ted clement said:
Might want to also take into consideration that in really cold weather you will get less miles per gal; at least thats the experience 3 of us riding 400's have had. Went from nearly 70 mpg to about 60 mpg. Wonder if it has anything to do with the way gas is formulated for winter use?
I think it is partly the Winter gasoline formulation, but also there is an air temperature sensor for the FI, so I think our fuel mixture runs richer in the cold temperatures.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm currently seeing about 55 MPG (cold weather, fair amount of stop-and-go). I agree on the pessimistic fuel gauge comment by Bill: the gauge is reading "empty", but I'm only able to put 9 litres in a 15 litre tank. Hmmmmm. One of these days I'm going to push it and see when I actually run out of gas. :D

Simon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts