Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at some routes for possible trips, and a couple involve taking a ferry across Lake Michigan. The ferry websites say that motorcyclists must provide their own tie-down straps.

What do these straps look like, where can one get them, and how does one fasten them?

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
I've never taken a ferry ride long enough to require the bike to be tied down. However I would hazard a guess that the same straps and tie down points one would use for securing the bike to a trailer would work for the ferry.

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,061 Posts
Use racheting straps with hooks on the ends from Wal-Mart, about $20.

·
Registered
36 Posts
where on the scooter, other than the passenger grab handles ,can you attach to bike?
there was a device that went over the ends of the handle bars that i had in the past.
Allen

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
When I tie mine down on the trailer I run straps around the bottom of the shocks on the back. On the front I run the straps around the forks where the axle goes through or occasionally from the bottom triple tree clamp up under the fairing. When you tie from that clamp you have to be careful about the angle of the strap so it does not rub on the fairing and abrade the paint off.

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
This warning has been presented on here before but I will restate it. A number of people have ended up with bent handlebars when they have used Canyon Dancers to tie down the 650. Use them with caution.

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
Have not heard of anyone bending the handle bars on a 400. While it sounds strange, the handle bars on the 400 are actually made from thicker tubing than those on the 650.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Put on the side stand. Set the brake. Use soft ties over the lower triple clamp. Be careful of brake line. Snug down only enough to keep it from moving. If you can, put a strap over the rear seat and down to pad eyes on the deck. You might find that you have to get creative if the ferry lacks pad eyes. On a short ferry ride, I just stay on the bike on the side stand with the brake set.

DO NOT USE A CANYON DANCER!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put on the side stand. Set the brake. Use soft ties over the lower triple clamp. Be careful of brake line. Snug down only enough to keep it from moving. If you can, put a strap over the rear seat and down to pad eyes on the deck. You might find that you have to get creative if the ferry lacks pad eyes. On a short ferry ride, I just stay on the bike on the side stand with the brake set.

DO NOT USE A CANYON DANCER!
Crossing Lake Michigan takes about six hours. Hardly a "short" ride.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've used Canyon Dancers several times transporting my 650 on extended trips and never a problem. But it's not a contest to see how hard you can ratchet down the straps. That is where owners get themselves in trouble. Just get the forks depressed a little and quit.

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
You also have to watch out for big bumps. One of the fellows I ride with had his tied down with Canyon Dancers. All was fine until he hit a big bump. The handle bars bent and the knurling where the clamps hold them to the steering head stripped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts