Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 years of contemplating how I could cleanly install the Fenda Extenda I finally got around it. I came across a plastic rivet gun called a POM riveter at Harbor Freight and figured I would give it a shot. The install is solid and clean looking with plenty of clearance between the Fender and the wheel, I think it will hold up well. Here are a few pics of the install.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Looks nice.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Looks good. Where'd you get it? Went to the fenda extenda site and couldn't find burgman ones. Also, what is the benefit of installing one?

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
sweet job, i wish I had the rivets gun!.... I got the pyramid plastic one, out of ebay i think, here how i did it on the 400.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
what is the benefit of installing one?
It prevents crap being thrown up around the radiator area. PS: I drilled and fitted mine in situ with 2 small bolts - one of the fiddleist and most frustrating jobs I have ever done. If there's a next time I will definitely removed the mudguard first. :(

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
Keith, I had one of those POM riveters and it worked very well. Alas, one of my sons friends like it (AND MANY OTHER ITEMS) more than me. I used it for all sorts of things including filling unneeded holes in sheetmetal.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keith, I had one of those POM riveters and it worked very well. Alas, one of my sons friends like it (AND MANY OTHER ITEMS) more than me. I used it for all sorts of things including filling unneeded holes in sheetmetal.
I like it as well, a good addition to the tool collection.

·
Registered
154 Posts
additional rivets

Can you buy plastic rivets when your supply runs out from harbor freight? I've bought some similar items from harbor but if you want more fastners, you have to buy the whole tool again!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have never put an Extenda on the Burger King, however, I have installed them on my Goldwings and ST's and PC's in the past

Since the inside of the fender was ABS and the Extenda's were ABS...I just used some ABS glue and primer from the plumbing section of my garage:D

Clean the inside of the fender...prime both neatly...apply glue neatly...hold in place for 10 seconds...and good to go...permanent bond

Food for thought:p

Bill

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
/\ I installed a real Fenda Extenda on my Concours, it had ABS plastic fenders. I used Testor's model cement, after sanding off the paint from the inside of the fender. Perfect.

For my Burgie, I used a scrap piece of black vinyl flooring, textured. Cut to shape. Used three short stainless steel socket head screws and locking nuts with SS washers to hold it. Perfect. And cheap :) Just don't drill through the tire :tongue3:

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Since the inside of the fender was ABS and the Extenda's were ABS...I just used some ABS glue and primer from the plumbing section of my garage:D

Clean the inside of the fender...prime both neatly...apply glue neatly...hold in place for 10 seconds...and good to go...permanent bond.
I want to glue mine on because I just wouldn't be happy with the riveted look. I bought the molded Fenda Extenda and one of the Spanish carbon fiber jobs. I might just order another carbon fiber for my other bike rather than using the molded plastic one cause carbon fiber just looks cool. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts