Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,047 Posts
Is it just in my head or does the bike feel more stable on the road?
Congrats on the luggage.

You have a lots of new aero drag at the back of the bike. This might be helping keep the bike pointing ahead and keeping a straight course (most of the time) - like feathers on an arrow or the tail on a plane.
(technically - centre of pressure moved aft).

It can sometimes work against you too though, so don’t put faith in it. Remember to make a conscious effort to pack heavy things low and centred and use the high/aft space for light stuff. Keep an eye out when decelerating from speed.

·
Administrator
23,648 Posts
The Police version of the Honda ST1300 had stability issues at high speeds from side bags. Some say it was over loading with all the radios and extra battery for all the lights and radios.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Yup, they look great Rhea. We had a friend fabricate the GIVI side racks for our 2016 AN400. I started with a used set of side racks off of a V-Strom I believe and he used those to do the fabricating ... similar to the approach Dave J would have taken. When I had Fehling fabricate some racks for my '09 Silver Wing a couple years back, they too said it might take a while before they schedule them into their production line-up. I think I waited about a month or so before they started work on them. Mine were chrome, looked great and so far have worked and held up well.

Reactions: Rhea

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yup, they look great Rhea. [...] I think I waited about a month or so before they started work on them. Mine were chrome, looked great and so far have worked and held up well.
Thank you :) I am heading out to Vancouver Island at the end of this week, on a likely solo trip... Trying to catch whatever's left of this year's good weather in the PNW. With Fehling being VERY non-committal about any potential manufacture date, and this being a long postponed ride, I went with whatever I could. Frankly, I enjoyed working on this project, probably a little more than if I had all the parts handed to me brand new. Bonus, it makes the bike very unique.

Do you have a photo of your setup?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I don't think so but I'd have to look. If not, I'll have to take one. Right now, the scoot is locked up in our enclosed cargo trailer ready to depart for a combo camping/riding trip to Inverhuron Provincial Park on Lake Huron. When I unload it, I'll mount the E22 cases and take a pic and post it up here in this thread. Probably see it in about two weeks.

·
Registered
2012 Burgman 400
166 Posts
I know you didn't ask, but here's my "setup"...factory Suzuki mount and topbox. I don't normally have it on, but I was heading to a friends party, just a couple miles away (7 min.) and took an extra helmet and some party supplies. 😁🤙🥳🍷

Not a great picture, it's from my Ring doorbell...
Vehicle Sky Tire Building Wheel

·
Administrator
23,648 Posts
I bought the same kit. Two side boxes were easy but my 52L top box took me HOURS.

Funny thing, the Long Ski Thule Car top carrier uses the same key. Bonus!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Probably different molds? Mine is abV46, it had a different, thicker key core than the 460s. But I pushed the core sleeve out and the spare core that came with the kit fit perfectly.

It was a little harder to keep the spring and ball for the rotating tongue in place without having a third, fourth and fifth hand but I think I lucked out and fit them all on the first try.

Such a relief to have one single key for all three boxes!

FWIW I actually replaced all three core sleeves - for some reason the V460s didn't want to fit new cores in the original ones either. I mean they fit, but would only turn 1/4 rotation to try and lock. No go.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts