Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Does anyone have a pair of FEHLING side racks for the 2007-up AN 400,for sale? (I have the 2016 ZA model if it's of any importance).

I reached out to Fehling and they said they "don't have a production date scheduled yet", which is probably a "never" as their demand may not be there.

I had a road trip planned for September... and could really have used those instead of a stupid backpack.

Thanks in advance!
~Andrea

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
I do not but if you drop down south of Seattle Washington we can weld up a set of carriers.

Abbotsford BC to my place is 240km. And drop shipping anything to here is a lot less shipping and maybe taxes.

Reactions: Rhea

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I am in Chilliwack, BC - which is about 3-4 hours away from you. And now I have questions.

Would these carriers fit the GIVI system? Do you need the bike there, or can you just make them and Ill pick them up? And... can I get a quote? :)

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
I do not have a Burgman 400 to model one off of, sorry. The GIVI 4 pins and 2 latch tounges would need ordering but I could take mine off and clean them up if needed in a hurry.

Costs would be just the price of steel and any bolts, nuts and GIVI parts. Maybe $10 for welding consumables and electric.

I try to never make money off of members. I am full retired so my time is free.

My 650's racks look like this below but same idea for the 400:
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle Motor vehicle
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
But planning is a bit short for a September trip.

It would take about 1 full day if we had all supplies on hand. Add in the 3 hours ride down, an over night may be needed. My guest accommodations are kind of cramped as my Daughter has moved back home with a 2 year old kid. Big house but she kind of spread out into my 3 free bedrooms and they are noisy most of the day and night.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I am trying to gather all the supplies here, as much as possible. It's very kind of you to offer overnight, but I have friends in Olympia where I could stay over, so I should be covered on that part if it comes to it.

Otherwise, a lot of Red Bull and if the weather holds, I should be good. I work from home, so I can make my own schedule. :)

Let me see if I can get the case mounts without having to cannibalize your system, and once I do (I have a few options I am waiting for answers on), I'll direct message you to figure out when you could accomodate this...

Once more, I am very grateful for the quick offer to help!
~A.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Or if you cannot sort the hard ones out a set of Givi Voyager throwovers will hold just as much and are another option.
I just picked another set up from the Bay for £30.00.
These are them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or if you cannot sort the hard ones out a set of Givi Voyager throwovers will hold just as much and are another option.
Thanks. but courtesy of f***book I just scored THREE Givi cases - two sides and one top case, PLUS mounts (for another motorcycle but they can be used) for $300.

I guess it's now a matter of finding out when I can go pay Dave a visit... :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here they are, in all their beauty. Quite beaten up, but nothing a good spray paint can't fix (previous owner must've dropped the bike on them). They're intact though, no cracks, and still close and open perfectly.

Dave - I think the existing attachment bars can be modded easier than building them from scratch?

Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive exterior Gas

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
Take a couple more pictures when you can of all the steel framing.
And a picture of your Burgman from the sides.

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
OH, I just went out in the garage to check on my welding gear. My son may have borrowed my welder and plasma cutter. It is no where in my garage. The not working TIG welder and Argone tank is here.

We share it and I do not use it very often. I have a Voice Mail into his cell but he shuts it off til he gets up around 2 PM as he works 4PM to 2 AM.

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
My son called back. I'll pick my welder up Friday.

Rhea has sent me lots of pictures.
Her is a 2016 AN400ZA. I have never seen one.

Her used rack looks like a special Goldwing rack so we will need to modify the mounting. She does have a small GIVI top box mount but no sidecase racks.

She is wondering if we need to use one of the top brass insert in the underside of the Passenger Handgrip's. In the Fielling Rack they do to stabilize the rack. It is not weight bearing. See the pictures Bluestrom13 shaired.

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
I just need to ride over to Bluestrom13's house and borrow his to do a welding jig.

😁

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I just need to ride over to Bluestrom13's house and borrow his to do a welding jig.
When can I expect you? :)
-------------------------------------
The weight of the panniers is carried on the rear end of the passenger footboard, and the B400 tie-down bracket.
The top mount does fasten to the underside of the handrail.
Care will be required with that one. There is not much clearance.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
OK.
Details, of mounting points. All double checked dimensions, but standard disclaimer - use at own risk, etc...
Front mounting is most awkward. Fixing is bent upwards. Suggest putting that bend in at final fix.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Font Automotive design Rectangle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Automotive design Musical instrument
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle Automotive lighting Hood
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey everyone. It's been busy in the Lower Mainland but I got the boxes sorted out today. First off, thanks everyone for chiming in and the ton of help you offered, as well as the info.

I found a wizard fabricator 10 minutes from where I live, on a fortunate recommendation from a mutual friend. It was one of those out of the blue things that just popped up as neither of us have common interests.

Long story short and $550 later I ended up with a pair of modified Yamaha mounts that look like they came with the Burgman.

Fehling outright told me they're not making the mounts anymore so there's that.

I chose to install the boxes parallel to the ground as opposed to the slant of the bike so that there would be less chafing spots inside on the luggage.

They're pretty battered. The next step is sanding and match painting them to the bike along with the top case, as well as installing matching lock cores which I just ordered off Amazon.

We also made a bracket that was installed on top of the existing Givi Monokey mount for the top case.

I still have to punch through the rubber foot runners.

That's it. Once more, thanks everyone, and especially Dave for the so gracious offer to build. You folks are awesome!

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover Steering part

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Plant Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
Kind of looks like what I'd have done. I would have been cheaper but the travel and you getting to your friend's house 50 miles south of me and back kind of pushed it some.

Glad you sorted it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Perhaps the more experienced people can answer me this one... Is it just in my head or does the bike feel more stable on the road? I did some winding road riding after I put the boxes on and it's different, but in a good way. And having incoming semis at 65mph felt less like they'd blow me off the road.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts