Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the course of a previous discussion I noted that a friend with a Pirelli rear tire on his 400 had worn down to the fabric in 3500 miles. He had diligently maintained 29 lbs, as specified for a single rider, which is all that has ever been on it. He's an average rider..no real fast takeoffs or stops.

Another 400 riding buddy has about 13K on his Bridgestone OEM and was planning on putting a Pirelli on, but after the above, he, and I are having some serious doubts about using Pirelli's.

Would any of you that have Pirellis rear tires, please let me know the miles you have on it, and how well its wearing for you.

Thanks, Ted

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I asked about this on the Yahoo forum - the consensus there (predominately UK) was to stay with the Bridgestone Hoops on both performance and longevity grounds.

But that may be 'clouded' :wink: by the frequency of wet weather riding.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I hope it will be a while. .I just put a set of Pirelli"s on. I got over 10,000 on the hoops they were good but so far theses are OK also, but it's only been 2,000 miles.
-time will tell.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
We are all talking tyres for 400s here aren't we? Just checking. :) (some people do not have it in there signature)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Those carcasses wear well, who wants rubber? Wish I could get 10000 out of a tyre, the only tyres that looked like going that way were the old Pirelli Phantom, they were the worlds worst for handeling and the ones on my Thunder Bird; Dragons are the same and made of teflon. Too tight to change them so sunny days only. :sunny:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I tried the Perelli GTS (bias) for the 400 and am very disappointed in the life of the tire. MAYBE 3K miles and I'm now running on a 'slick' rear (all but the edges). I would not recommend this tire to anyone who isn;t willing to replace them VERY often.
I ordered some replacement bridgestones but azmotorsports still have not shipped them. I need tires so I guess I'll fork out the extra money and order them from the local dealer here and keep the ones from az as spares (if/when they come in).

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have nearly 6k miles on the OEM IRC tires that came on the Majesty and have plenty of tread left. I ride it pretty hard and do lots of fast cornering where I scrape the centerstand, but the tires hold up well. They are a hard compound though and require a bit of running in before warmed up good enough for confident cornering. I would like to explore other options but so far I am thinking about the same rubber when its time.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for asking this question. I have 5400 miles on my Bridgestones and they are beginning to wear so I was thinking about the Pirellis because someone said they were a softer ride. However I cannot afford replacement tires every 3k miles so I will probably replace mine with the Bridgestones again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tyre Options - Continental Twist

Hi all,

I've seen on Ebay (Europe) some Continental scooter tyres of B400 sizes, which I've been thinking of.

I've had my B400 (1999 - 22k) just over a year and they currently have Bridgestone Hoops that seem quite acceptable, but always interested in improving roadholding and maybe saving money!

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on these -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7961043633&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I also run a Kawasaki Z750 and there are many positive comments about Conti Road Attack tyre for that, so wondered if their scoot tyres are equally as good, I like the price and more sporty claims on compound and tread pattern.

Cheers

Poldark

·
Registered
180 Posts
You have to admit that the Burgman and Majesty are not typical "scooters". So scooter tires made by certain companies might not be able to handle the speeds and cornering that the BS Hoops are designed for. My point is this...if you want a softer ride get a different bike because shock mods and different tires dosen't seem to help ENOUGH to change them out every 3k miles. I have 5277 on my hoops and they are about halfway thru their useable treadlife. Just my .02 cents worth :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ive went through a pair of Bridgestone Hoops on the first 13,000km.Not bad tires.However when i got the Pirelli's I couldnt believe the difference in handeling.I took the skywave(Burgman)out and about on the rural roads of Kyushu,Japan,on a mighty mission.Only to wear them out in just under 4000km??? Oh man!! they were great tires but too easy to wear out.I replaced them at 17,000km with the hoops.Im now on the same tires at 29,000km and they still look like they have a another 5,000km left on them.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Poldark
Welcome to the forum. :hello2:
Although they are cheap (particularly as it is 'free' delivery) - I would stick with the hoops mate! :thumbright:

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
This may be a new thread but what tire would give you both great wear and great traction? Is it still the Bridgestones?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts