Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to explain myself with an example:
Suppose that i write in my post something like

Hey! Today at {40kmh} my mileage was {20kml}: please note that air temperature was {32°C} and that i'm {180cm} tall.
Then a parser function scan the post (just like the one that changes ":" and ")" in a :) smile) and do the conversion based on a preference in the user setting, so when i read my own post (with my preference set to "metric system") i see:
Hey! Today at 40kmh my mileage was 20kml: please note that air temperature was 32°C and that i'm 180cm tall.

You, as your settings are "american system" will see:
Hey! Today at 25mph my mileage was 47mpg: please note that air temperature was 89°F and that i'm 5.9 feet tall.

and someone else which picked the "unbelievable system" will read:
Hey! Today at 0.02 curvature my mileage was 88 bananas per hamburger: please note that air temperature was 1.20483 fiddly and that i'm 3.5 stones tall.

In the end, a "tag" that tells the server how to convert units. As a programmer i see this complicated but not difficult. In the end, there's already functions that handle smiles and (i think) bad words.

It will be very handy, imho.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Will this tell us our o.a.t. ? 🤓

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It's not a bad idea but generally, as I grew up with both systems, I'll use metric and put the USCS (Unites States Customary System) measurements in brackets so our American heathen know what we are talking about. I find it doubly ironic that the USCS is actually a bastardization of the British Imperial System. Seems our Yank friends haven't mastered how to move a decimal place and prefer to try and remember how many feet are in a Statute mile (5280) or a Nautical mile (1.1508 Statute miles) 🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Also US gallons are different to British imperial gallons :)

I’ve had to do do this and add a UI selection when designing engineering software that sells in multiple territories/ systems that use imperial/metric/US and hybrid.

(It gets even worse in aviation because of different altitude, atm. pressure and distance systems). Then one bunch of engineers work in degrees and another in radians...:)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Also US gallons are different to British imperial gallons :)

I’ve had to do do this and add a UI selection when designing engineering software that sells in multiple territories/ systems that use imperial/metric/US and hybrid.

(It gets even worse in aviation because of different altitude, atm. pressure and distance systems). Then one bunch of engineers work in degrees and another in radians...:)
British Pints VS US Pints.
I can drink 3 US pints before I must visit the toilet, but I can only drink 2 British pints and have to go to the Loo.
Wasting my time on British pints as I have to go more often per pint.

;)

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
We use to have a 'Fifth of Whisky' that was 5/4 measured US pint (20 US ounce) . When US went to 750 ml (25.36 US ounce) that went away.

Its like a friend that drinks Scotch. His first 3-4 shots are 'Top Shelf' but after that his bartender friend serves him the bottom shelf stuff as the taste buds are not so exact by then. ;)

A funny side story. In Germany they use recycled "DIN" standard 0.5L beer bottles. You can go anywhere and all the bottles are the same, just different labels. That bottle may have been used 50+ times in different cities, just cleaned and refilled.

We had a Beer fridge in the office for after 4:30 PM. We would set and drink a few after work and I had to have 3 different brands of beer on stock. Steve B would not drink the Local Kaiserslautern BBK beer. He always wanted Parkbrau... I took the label off 2 Parkbrau's and replaced the BBK labels. After Steve B drank 2 real Parkbraus, I gave him a relabeled BBK and he did not know the difference. It was when he was 1/2 way thru #2 BBK that we let him know.... He was pissed but it was funny anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts