Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the first ride, seem to feel a faint surging..or inability to cruise at a dead steady speed. Staying below 5000 on break in, varying the speeds, new plug, fresh gas, 150 miles on odometer. Tried disconnecting battery for 1/2 hr. Fairly steady idle...just a faint feeling in seat of pants. Very faint, but keep feeling it.
Ideas? This is a left-over, new 2013 400. Came with 5 miles on odometer.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
In the range of 4-5K rpm you could be traveling at 30 - 60 mph, depending on the instantaneous conditions the transmission is experiencing. Especially with relatively clean variator parts. You will only be able to hold a 'dead steady' speed in that range if your conditions remain exactly constant. Moreover, you are still in the meaty part of break in. I imagine you will find things stabilize somewhat as your engine loosens and your transmission gets a little dust in it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
stig, that's pretty normal. I would not even try to cruise at a steady speed. You should be varying the throttle almost all the time during any cruise anyway as the engine is still running in. Avoid all steady speed throttle applications for more than a few seconds as per your owners handbook. It's not good for the engine when running in. The surging will improve, but it's well known that the B400 has a slight imperfection in the fuel injection at those revs, like most bikes. They run a bit lean. After run in this will moderate as the engine loosens and you won't even notice it.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
One other comment, after disconnecting the battery to reset the adaptively learned values it can take 25+ miles of varied riding before the ECU has relearned those values. During that time it will be "hunting" for the correct AFR, etc. This is a normal part of the learning process.

Also I think you are obsessing over this all a bit too much--just ride it and get used to the way it behaves. The Burgman 400 is a very capable beast but like any bike it has its idiosyncrasies, and like any thumper there are compromises made in the interest of simplicity--you also have a learning process to go through...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One other comment, after disconnecting the battery to reset the adaptively learned values it can take 25+ miles of varied riding before the ECU has relearned those values. During that time it will be "hunting" for the correct AFR, etc. This is a normal part of the learning process.

Also I think you are obsessing over this all a bit too much--just ride it and get used to the way it behaves. The Burgman 400 is a very capable beast but like any bike it has its idiosyncrasies, and like any thumper there are compromises made in the interest of simplicity--you also have a learning process to go through...
Fair point....
Climbing off a Forza NSS300 after a year and straight onto a Burgman 400 - I can't help but notice some things.
Stig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts