Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of installing a GPS on a ram mount opposite of me cell phone. Problem is what size and make of GPS I should buy. Do not want togo for those really expensive type do to it being stolen. Actually I do not want anything stolen. Saw some that were from China that were waterproof , glare resistent, and had bluetooth and looked good. Do not think it had liifetime map updates but I figure as long as it is updated for todays roads, that there is not much more new roads that can be built. So what do you all think. Will be interesting and if you have any pictures of your setup, include them. Thanks:kermit:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Garmin 1450LMT on a Ram reservoir mount. It's an older model without Bluetooth, but fully featured otherwise. You can get them used on Amazon for $50, so it's cheap enough. Rugged 5" model with a matte screen (for glare protection) and very glove friendly. Has routes, and POI, etc.

But the feature I like best, that I haven't seen on other models, is the ability of the unit to pick up a route, midway through. Occasionally one must restart a planned route in the middle of it. The newer models require you to figure out the last waypoint on your route and select the next one as your starting point for the reboot. Not very convenient when you're hurtling down the road at 80 mph on the interstate.

The 1450 is the only Garmin model I know of that will figure out where you are on a route and pick it up from that point, automatically. Even if you're off the programmed route, it will give instructions on how to get back to it. I lead very large rides (30-40 bikes), so this feature is invaluable for me. No one likes making u turns with 35 bikes in tow. :D

Good luck. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I just bought Garmin Nuvi 2757LM for my excursion van. The thing has a huge screen, 7 inches! Great for my aging eyes. I like it better than the built in unit on my 2015 Tacoma, much simpler.

·
Registered
704 Posts
iPhone. Picks up my route from any point. I don't need two, three, or four mounts. I can go between gps, phone, or music.

·
Registered
202 Posts
iPhone. Picks up my route from any point. I don't need two, three, or four mounts. I can go between gps, phone, or music.
Can you upload a specific route to your iPhone and have it follow it exactly as you wanted? I have tried several apps but am having trouble doing this.

What I need to do is create a specific route on my computer and then send it to my iPhone GPS app.

Thanks.
Simba

p.s otherwise, I like my Garmin GPS 2595.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yes
Use MotionX Gps - and there are others.
http://support.motionx.com/motionx-gps/importing-waypoints-or-tracks/

standalone GPS is a dying industry.

You have to make sure you are using the correct mapping format.

There are tutorials.

This took us to Alaska and Vancouver Island and then back home via Yellowstone...21 days..

Just used this upside down if raining

FRIEQ Universal Waterproof Case With Waterproof External Earphone/ Accessory Jack and Armband for Apple iPhone 5, Galaxy S3, HTC One X, Galaxy Note 2 - IPX8 Certified to 100 Feet: Amazon.ca: Electronics

This one - you can use the armband to mount the iPhone on the Burgman.

I used a cheaper case before on the Burgman

The one above is on my Wee.

••

Instant rerouting is the norm I thought.

I use TomTom app for its Winding Roads feature and it re-routes from where you are.
$50 for all of States and Canada ...one time purchase.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
.......Do not want togo for those really expensive type do to it being stolen. Actually I do not want anything stolen.
Ok, I know you said you didn't want to go expensive, but I've always believed you get what you pay for. I've gone thru several makes and several models of various "top-brand" GPS units and eventually all will fail due to vibration, dust and moisture. Some feel that replacing cheap units with more cheap units works out cheaper in the long run, but I also like reliability so I eventually went with the Garmin Zumo 390LM motorcycle specific unit. I've been very pleased with it ever since. And when you get caught out in the rain, or simply just have to keep going rain or not, well you'll appreciate it being fully waterproof. It's fully glove-friendly (important) and as you can see, I've built a full glare shield around the top and sides out of corrugated plastic which makes it even easier to see in all light conditions.

As to theft, that's never been a concern to me or a problem because with one quick push of the release button the unit pops right off the cradle. So at long stops for lunch or when the bike is going to be out of sight for a while, then I just pop it into the locked topcase or under the seat and the issue is moot. On club rides (where I'm leading lots of other scoots) it's not an issue because we keep an eye on each other's stuff when we're at gas stations or pee breaks.

Here's my present setup on my 2014 650. Now I should say that I ride "bare-bar" with the bodywork plastic taken off my bars. I did this because I've got bar risers on and frankly it looks stupid to have the bars up higher and farther back and still with the plastic on it. So as you can see, I've got a RAM mount right at the bottom center for the Zumo (the top of it's case is visually flat at the bottom of my instrument cluster, so nothing is blocked) and also an Etrex Garmin up higher. I keep the displays showing different things that give me more info for long rides.

Oh, and all the other RAM mounting points (I have a total of 6 on the bike) are for things like camera's all adapted to RAM mount technology.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Have Tom Tom but can't recommend it.
Little vague....if you have the non-iphone version it's crippled.
No Winding Roads.

The standalone GPS unit has it but pretty expensive for what you get.

The iphone version works fine and Winding Roads is unique. Easy to use and maps are updated regularly for free.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Here's my present setup on my 2014 650. Now I should say that I ride "bare-bar" with the bodywork plastic taken off my bars. I did this because I've got bar risers on and frankly it looks stupid to have the bars up higher and farther back and still with the plastic on it. So as you can see, I've got a RAM mount right at the bottom center for the Zumo (the top of it's case is visually flat at the bottom of my instrument cluster, so nothing is blocked) and also an Etrex Garmin up higher. I keep the displays showing different things that give me more info for long rides.

Oh, and all the other RAM mounting points (I have a total of 6 on the bike) are for things like camera's all adapted to RAM mount technology.

Good example of what I don't want. I prefer to keep my eyes on the road and surrounding traffic. Just lost a 23year old motorcyclist locally last nite when a car pulled from a stop sign and run over him. Don't trust cagers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This past Sunday, my wife and I did our first 100 mile trip. Doing the "Discovery Trail of Delaware. She on her Helix and me on the Burg 650. Great day! I used me TomTom and I might as well not have it. Within 3 hrs of riding or less the battery went dead, could not see the screen due to the glare and sun, and the charger cable coming out of the lock compartment on dash would not close due to charger blocking the door from closing. What do you all do about you power cables?? Show pictures if you have them. I've heard you need a 90Deg cigarette lighter plug but have not seen that anywhere yet. I have tried the cell phone gps app and again......can not be seen. Tha's out! Heard that the Zumo 390 motorcycle is great at $500. With keeping you off magor highways if you want nothing but back and winding roads. What about the glare? Like I said seen some china built with terrific glareproof and bluetooth. I know, I know, cheap and you get what you pay for. Maybe!?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
TomTom and then several others on occasion. Co-Pilot is decent but I have not purchased the maps for North America.
Because of Winding Roads, as a rider, TomTom is the go to.

When there is service I use Googlemaps so I can find things around me.
•••

Man of Steel
You have to have a charger and low profile plugs are everywhere for cheap.

There is nothing that is "glareproof". You set it up so it can be tilted.

You've ridden 100 miles and decide to "pass judgement"????!!!!!

We just came off a cross continent 24 day jaunt. iPhone and TomTom app.

Voice Nav is there as well when you don't want to look at the screen. Came back from PA at mid-night even through some detours and TomTom got me home effortlessly even with the phone in the glove box.

Beleive me you want eyes ahead in deer country at night.
I'll say it again....stand alone GPS are a dying technology and a waste of money.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought a used TomTom (stand alone unit) and built a sunshade similar to what Steve YYZ posted. I've added a weatherproof 12volt outlet and plug the unit into that. It works extremely well for my travels. If I get jammed up or need other info, then I'll pull out my phone, but I don't like it for constant GPS use or music.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I was for many years a road warrior for my job. To my mind, the two best inventions for the regular traveler are the portable GPS unit, and the Kindle.

I have used quite a few units over the last fifteen years or so, from a variety of manufacturers, but mostly from Garmin, and Tom-Tom.
I currently have seven units active, three Garmins and four Tom-Tom's.
Both my 650's have Tom-Tom units with lifetime maps and traffic (not sure which model number excatly, but I think they are 1435MT, or something similar, with a 4.3" display. I also have a larger but similar, which I use while on the road. The Garmin units I have in my cages, these are larger displays, but similar spec (Bluetooth/lifetime maps and traffic/Mp3 capable/etc.)
It took me a little bit to get used to the way the Tom-Tom displays the information, but I now prefer it over the Garmin for the way it is presents the speed and journey information.
As far as guidance/refresh rate, etc. There fairly similar in performance, Updating the maps is simpler with the Garmin units, and bluetooth operation is fine with either, but I have a Motorola Roadster unit I prefer for this while on the road...so only use it occasionally.

Until recently, on the occasions when I needed GPS while on the bike, I simply attached the unit to my windshield by it's suction cup, but on a recent weekend trip, within 4 miles of home after 400 miles, my unit decide it was time to part company with the shield, and got a 55mph flying lesson for a short distance, before bouncing it's way along the road.
I went back and retrieved it. The case is beaten up a bit in the corner where it landed, but it still works just fine.
Prior to this we had taken it through a very heavy rainstorm (not in a waterproof case), and it fared just fine there too.
So Tom-Tom definitely gets my vote for both usability, and durability.
Only downside, while they will bluetooth with my phones just fine, they won't connect to my Scala Rider 2 headsets......but they're due for replacement anyway, so hopefully the next will be able to connect (I'm thinking of switching to Sena, having seen the ones with the cameras built in).

BTW, I now have water resistant cases, and ram mounts for each Bike. So there should be no recurrence.

As far as connection, I have a 3-way 12V connector with a short right-angle plug I got from Advance auto parts, which I plug into (My Shark boogie-box's connect in there too), and take the cables out through the upper LH corner of the glovebox door, with no issues at all.

To each their own, and my set-up works for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The unit worked well but the route planning software including TYRES was too cumbersome. The unit died recently and would not reset.

However, I downloaded the Tom Tom Go App for Android and it worked very well in most respects except being a bit hard on battery life. And the cost was approx. $14 a year and cheaper for 3.

I agree with others that except for offroad and world explorers, a $500 dedicated motorcycle GPS unit like Tom Tom is overkill as opposed to smartphone version.

Little vague....if you have the non-iphone version it's crippled.
No Winding Roads.

The standalone GPS unit has it but pretty expensive for what you get.

The iphone version works fine and Winding Roads is unique. Easy to use and maps are updated regularly for free.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
For those having trouble with battery life while using their phones for GPS, I found that by being sure to use a 2.1 amp USB supply in the glove box outlet kept up fine. A 1 amp would still allow my phone to loose juice but, the 2.1 actually charged my iPhone 6 from 70% charge to full charge in short order, while running GPS. With the on-board maps of CoPilot, it did great throughout the 4000 mile trip I just finished.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'll say it again....stand alone GPS are a dying technology and a waste of money.
Well, opinions vary but that statement is really misleading because for those of us who have and know how to use a GPS to the greatest effect for our travels, I couldn't imagine not having my Zumo. If you needs are minimal then a phone app can suffice in a pinch.

Good example of what I don't want. I prefer to keep my eyes on the road and surrounding traffic.
When I used to teach flying, we taught our students a simple axiom which was "Aviate then Navigate". The same holds true whether flying, driving or riding a motorcycle. Any good rider needs to follow a good scanning technique of road, mirrors, instruments so that the eyes are never stationary or fixated on something. Scanning the GPS is just part of the routine and if you're set up properly doesn't even require moving your head, just a quick glance with your eyes, or listening to the voice prompts if equipped with such.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Seems a bit of a misleading statement as actually, I didn't see anything the Tom Tom Android app wouldn't do that the actual Tom Tom unit did. And it was a huge amount of $$$$ less.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts