Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about it everybody? What is your all-time favorite vehicle?
Easy for me:Ford Mustang 8)

·
Registered
969 Posts
My current: '95 Subaru SVX with 165,xxx miles. It needs little things now and then, but it's never let me down. Here's a picture of it as it appeared on the My Classic Car website. It was the Featured car of the Week in early June of 2001. Current archives don't go back that far. :(

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/wasions/309.jpg

Second would be a '90 Nissan Stanza GXE that I once traded for a Mitsubishi - stupid move.

Steve

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve,
I almost bought one like that a few years ago. Loved the looks of it, but didn't know anything about them.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I stumbled upon a good one. I know several folks that have had multiple transmissions, or who seem to have to replace rear wheel bearings bi-annually. But then, I also know a guy with SEVEN of them!

Steve

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seven? WOW!!!! I assume that not all of them run though.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I like wierd foreign cars like the Citroen 2CV, the Fiat 500, Trabants etc. I really like Alfa Romeos. But to buy now? I'd say maybe a Mercury Marauder? A Buick Park Avenue Ultra? I dunno - I like cars that are fast without saying (looks-wise) that they are..like maybe an old school ford mustang LX 5.0 (without the wings and stuff - thats what turns me off about the WRX). Since my kids are basically not around any more (college etc) I could go for a two seater like a neat little Honda CRX with low mile that hasn't been "fast and furious-ized. A nice garage kept lil red one with under a hundred thousand miles - stock - with AC. Oh well - you hit a soft spot with me...cars...Oh yeah and... - ALL TIME?
American? - The 1970 SS 454 Chevelle. Silver with black stripes thank you.
Others? - an early 70's Porche 911. No wings, no turbos. Just plain and stock.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
that I have owned...1979 Camaro Z28.

That I will never have 1963 Stingray Vette.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've thought about it and thought about it, but can't come up with one. I guess cars just don't turn me on! I restored a '59 bug eyed Austin Healey Sprite along time ago and had fun with that. Up until a year ago, we owned a Miata, which was also a lot of fun, but no substitute for a two wheeled machine.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
A Mercedes man thro and thro'. :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Understandably so, and glad that it truly was for your sake.
A current running car commercial in the U.S. shows a shopper and salesman seated in the showroom in the front seat of a new one. The shopper in the passenger seat asks how it corners. The salesman fires it up and turns a tight circle around other cars on the showroom floor and stops it where they started. The shopper was impressed. Wanting to close the deal, the salesman asks "Want to see the airbags?"
Norman, we wish you didn't have to learn first hand, but thankful that had such a great passenger box cage.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
NANCY! ..... STOP IT. PULLEEZE!!!! - the '63 split window coupe (with knockoffs I'd presume!) NICE CHOICE...NICE CHOICE. Darn - if I had the 7 figures required, I'd get both the Chevelle and the Stingray! :)

Oh well....I guess a 3500 dollar CRX would be more my speed! :oops:

Now, in so far as the teutonic thing goes.....MB - what's not like?

I like the "estates" (brakes?).

Norm, clear me up here on nomenclature. Is it a brake or, is it an estate, or is it more commonly referred to on that side of the pond as a wagon?

Either way, a nice mid-sized Benz 3 class 6 cyl wagon/brake/estate with a stick (and some "afterbreathers" added onto it!) would be nice! The old school MBs were solid. Before we moved to Naples my Pop test drove a relatively nice Fiat 124 Wagon, it had 4 wheel disks! And we drove a 1970 MB 220! But, he opted to wait till we got there. Then he bought a 1971 (new) Peugeot 504. It was cool because that was the first year for that model without the "4 on the tree." And it was metallic silver with a cool manual sunroof.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Favorite...

1968 Red Pontiac GTO - Made all the boys jealous
1983 Red Chevy Corvette - My whole wardrobe was red & white, even kept my nails done in Cover Girl Bold Bordeaux - it matched exactly!

I just bought a 1987 Lincoln Town Car. (I wouldn't swear to it but I think I may be having a mid life crisis.) or maybe I'm just getting older... :oops:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Favourite cages as follows:

1960 Mini Cooper
o Easiest car to drive sideways in the world
1975 Lancia Stratos
o Ferrari Dino engined distinctively shaped winged rally car that dominated the 70s rally championships
1992 TVR S4 c
o Evolution of S: humble Ford V6 mounted in a 'front-midship' position in the TVR chassis, fiberglass body and exhaust system, giving the best sounding British open car since the 1960s.
1992 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
o Last of the 'real' Porsches, 3.6 flat 6
1992 Skyline GTR R32
o 300bhp turbocharged straight six, every drift-fanatics dream car, still only matched by the R34 (end of the line).
1992 Audi Quattro 20v
o 5 cylinder rally car on the road, 230bhp German musclecar replica or 1980s fearsome 600bhp Group B rally champion
2003 Subaru Legacy GT spec B
o simply the best 300bhp wagon available, turbocharged 2 litre boxer 4.
2004 Infinity G35 Coupe - aka Skyline 350GT
o simply the best 300bhp 4 seater coupe available, V12 noise

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pretty specific tastes, there. I owned an '84 Porsche 944, an incredible red item, did not drive it nearly hard enough. Didn't manage to impress local young dollies any more with than without. ****. Guess the prob' was not the species of car....
Have lusted after a '49 or so MG TC, leather strap over the bonnet and all, big spoked wheels, skinny tires (pardon me, tyres). Or maybe a similar vintage Morgan. Not a fire-breather, but oozing class.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
60 Mini

Lycheed, you have GOT to elaborate on the 60 Mini. Just HOW do you drive a car sideways?!! :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I love my '98 Lincoln Continental. 270 HP V8, FWD, loaded with all the toys and rides and handles great. Pete, it's your fast car without the wings and spoilers.
But, if I could only have one car, my '02 Subie Impreza Outback Sport would be my choice. It ain't a WRX or STi but, like most Subies, it's reliable and goes in snow. I've had a bunch of Subarus over the years and have had nothing but good experiences with them. It's the only brand my wife wants at trade-in time.

Don

·
Registered
969 Posts
Now this little club has class!

Nancy! That split window was born way before you were! You MUST be a blueblood. 8)

Yes JD, they all run: 1995 Bordaux Pearl LSi ~64K, 1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~47K, 1994 Laguna Blue LSi ~140K (5 Speed Manual - they never came with a manual), 1993 25th Anniversary Edition ~58K, 1993 25th Anniversary Edition ~97K, 1992 Pearlie LS-L ~103K, 1992 Pearlie LS-L ~142K

Here's three of them: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/ ... e/6766.jpg

Lycheed, I'd give my right, uhm, well . . . anyway, I'd LOVE to just see a Stratos, much less drive one.

My dream car (that I've never owned), if it had to limited to just one, would have to be a custom Lotus Europa. I think it would play nicely with one of those 300 hp Subaru turbo 2.5's implanted along with the STI six speed and modern suspension/brakes/wheels/etc. :shock:

Steve

·
Registered
498 Posts
Re: 60 Mini

ScubaGirl said:
Lycheed, you have GOT to elaborate on the 60 Mini. Just HOW do you drive a car sideways?!! :shock:
Well, Scuba girl, go to a wide and empty car park and hold your car in a constant turning circle at a out 40mph, tight enough to make the tyres just begin to squeal. You are now at the point where traction is beginning to break, and the point at which you can begin to drive the car sideways. Now, if you were driving a Mini, you could accelerate progressively making only small steering corrections and you will find that all four tyres are sliding controllably, gently widening your turning arc. If you accelerated more you would induce more easily controllable slide. Rally drivers use this technique to swing through bends more quickly on loose services or indeed snow, and it was also the norm in F1 pre-the winged downforce cars of the 1970s. Sideways driving.

The reason why the mini is so easy to do this with is that the centre of gravity (engine, transmission) is extremely low, as is the total weight of the machine (due to the tiny wheels and wafer thin sheet metal body). The same exercise in a modern family cars will see the front or rear of the car break away with a lurch – not fun.

Once the Mini driver has mastered the basic technique, she finds herself cornering like this all the time, and ‘setting up’ the car up before going into bends with a aggressive swerve and dab on the brakes, and sliding gloriously though the bend. I learnt to drive aggressively in one of these whilst at university – I bought the thing for $500 and sold it for $500. Fond, fond memories.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts