Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 3rd year with progressive insurance. year 1 - $356,year 2 - $260, year 3 - $185. Saying this in case one/some of u are looking for an insurance company.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Having watched my father-in-law for the past 38 years, I highly recommend checking out Independent Insurance agents. They aren't locked into just one company and forced to offer only what that company has. They have a number of insurance companies that they work with and will shop around to get you the best deal for your needs. It works well enough that my father-in-law is on his third generation of clients.

Chris

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Insurance rates are not really comparable at all - between companies or individuals. I pay FULL coverage in AZ (my bike is still registered in AZ) and it's about $100 a year, with FOREMOST (as linked to my Farmer's insurance for my house and other vehicles). There are just way too many variables to make any sort of reasonable comparison - everything from driving histoyr, claim history, credit history, age, marital status, home address, type of vehicle(s), discounts, training, employer, you name it, etc all are so variable, it's hard to just say "This company is expensive" or "that company is cheaper". It may not be the case. Each person has to do their own legwork, for sure.

tomfelock said:
on my 3rd year with progressive insurance. year 1 - $356,year 2 - $260, year 3 - $185. Saying this in case one/some of u are looking for an insurance company.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had Progressive Insurance for a couple of years. Then for no apparent reasons (no claims / no citations), the third year the premiums went way way up. So I immediately quit them and went with Geico whose rates (so far) have been very reasonable and have actually decreased slightly over the years.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
And yet there in AZ, GEICO wanted nearly TWICE what FOREMOST charges me. GO figure.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I am an insurance broker.. I only do commercial stuff... and not personal lines... but based on the comments here you can easily see the problem.. Insurance is VERY territorial.. completely different from State to State.. and from region to region. That's a good thing.. or not depending on where you live...
I have already been getting the message from underwriters that I better expect huge increases for coastal property since Sandy hit the NY/NJ area..so one person says Progressive is great, another says Geico is wonderful.. but both live in different States..

The message from Daboo is also very valid.. I'm an independent broker.. I work for my clients.. not for any insurance co.. that is a very important difference in the distribution chain.... I have contracts with at least 40 different carriers and place business with at least 50 others... placement usually depends on premium but also terms & conditions.. I wouldn't work for a direct writer.. In my case, yesterday I got the word that the premium would be going up by 20% for the property portion of a large coastal client (they own over 145 commercial buildings on the coast) .. by the end of yesterday, I had my submission out to at least 15 other good candidates and had positive input from 2 or 3 of those.. so, the beat goes on.. On the plus side, there is no reason for any one of my clients to leave me as I go to all of the same carriers that my competition does.

·
Registered
368 Posts
But what is puzzling is this: Why would Progressive give me reasonable premiums for two years and then for no apparent reason increase my premium two fold the third year. No claims and no citations - no reason. Yet, Geico comes along (in my case) and offers me lower rates than Progressive was previously offering me before their increase. I am still in the same state, same address?

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Noth said:
...I'm an independent broker.. I work for my clients.. not for any insurance co.. that is a very important difference in the distribution chain.... I have contracts with at least 40 different carriers and place business with at least 50 others... placement usually depends on premium but also terms & conditions.. I wouldn't work for a direct writer.. In my case, yesterday I got the word that the premium would be going up by 20% for the property portion of a large coastal client (they own over 145 commercial buildings on the coast) .. by the end of yesterday, I had my submission out to at least 15 other good candidates and had positive input from 2 or 3 of those.. so, the beat goes on.. On the plus side, there is no reason for any one of my clients to leave me as I go to all of the same carriers that my competition does.
That's a good explanation and example of what an independent insurance agent will do for you. My oldest daughter worked for XXXXX as an office manager for a year. The broker wanted her to become a salesperson, but she declined. She knew there were better rates elsewhere and didn't think it was ethical to take people's money for an overpriced product. Noth, as an independent agent asked for quotes from 15 companies, and I'm sure he'll find the best deal he can for his client. When you walk into Progressive, Geico, State Farm, Allstate, etc...you get one quote from one company. And they won't tell you there's a better deal from somewhere else.

Chris

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
TeeMon said:
But what is puzzling is this: Why would Progressive give me reasonable premiums for two years and then for no apparent reason increase my premium two fold the third year. No claims and no citations - no reason............clipped......................

Because they felt they could?

·
Registered
23 Posts
An interesting side note: while all of the above geographic variables are true, the TYPE of bike one has also makes a difference. I had just renewed the policy on my previous bike (a Kawasaki Versys) before picking up my Burgman, and the same coverage for the same engine displacement now costs me 50% of what I had been paying. Apparently at least one insurer sees less risk there... must be because our scoots are just too good-looking. :D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Ascender said:
An interesting side note: while all of the above geographic variables are true, the TYPE of bike one has also makes a difference. I had just renewed the policy on my previous bike (a Kawasaki Versys) before picking up my Burgman, and the same coverage for the same engine displacement now costs me 50% of what I had been paying. Apparently at least one insurer sees less risk there... must be because our scoots are just too good-looking. :D
And my insurance went up when I went from a 800cc BMW motorcycle to a 400cc scooter. Interestingly, the liability portion for 100/300/50 coverage was only $21 but the uninsured motorist coverage for the same amount was $70. They must have figured my risk of getting run over on a "slow" scooter was riskier than what I would do to someone else.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Progressive wants to dump you but are too chicken to tell you. So they raise your rates, you go elsewhere. Problem solved. Now I cannot say why Progressive would want to dump you, but that's the end result, right?

TeeMon said:
But what is puzzling is this: Why would Progressive give me reasonable premiums for two years and then for no apparent reason increase my premium two fold the third year. No claims and no citations - no reason. Yet, Geico comes along (in my case) and offers me lower rates than Progressive was previously offering me before their increase. I am still in the same state, same address?

·
Registered
739 Posts
They may be re pricing their entire book... raise the prices somewill leave, others will stay..

In the commercial world, one company ( I won't say who, but they use red umbrella's a lot), has been kicking their prices up more than everyone else.. They have been bragging that they have kept about 73% of their business.. That's awful retention.. They indicate that they have gotten rid of unprofiitable business.. so you have to look at the large picture.. a good article here.. http://seekingalpha.com/article/514101- ... -retention

Also insurance premiums are and have been increasing.. We have been in a softmarket for years and this has now turned around with 8-10% price increases being the norm.. Sandy will now become a real justification.. I suspect that when I used to have 5 or 6 companies interested in working with me on an insured.. Now there may be only two...

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have had Allstate for my AN400 and now my 650 Exec. There was no change in premium from one bike to another.
I pay $105 for the bike and $115 for my boat. Having both of are cars with Allstate gives us a big break.
Tried to switch to Geico, progressive many times. When you factor in ALL the vehicles
no one can match my current rates. Allstate has smaller companies that they operate under the Allstate umbrella which some how
allows me to keep my rate lower. That and not having any traffic violations.

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
IMHO, Insurance rates don't mean anything without, What coverage do you have???

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Safe drivers/riders, the ones with no claims/citations/accidents are the profit centers/money makers for insurance insurance companies. Seems odd a insurance company would chase a profit center/money maker away with a premium increase above what the competition charges.:? There's must have been some reason. FWIW, just got our 7th annual renewal from Progressive......$121 for all 3 bikes, 3 licensed operators, coverage is whatever the Texas minimum requirement is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts