Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost bought the farm.

I was going around a bend I take everyday to and from work. its a tight turn that always surprises me, and different lines through it have different ripples. Well....I went in a little hot, and was leaned WAY over ...waywway over.

Then I hit the bumps...in the turn. And the LIP CAME OFF. and I actually thought...this is it, Im putting the Burgie down, there's no way you can be this far over and hit theese bumps and lose the laminar lip and get it uptright again.

But I knew I had no choice but to just keep off the brakes and look in the direction of the turn, and....and ...whew. The Burgie pulled me through. My heart was in my throat. I pulled over and ruminated before I doubled back to see if a car ran over my LIP. Ah, here it is !! Pop it back on...

So, my dear friends, the burgie saves my butt again. It stayed planted in a turn with a suicide bump, when I was going toooooo fast.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It certainly is a superb motorcycle and goes ronud bends extremely well, but it's probably the case that YOU saved your butt, buy not touching the brakes and looking in the direction of the turn. Even Rossi's 2003 RCV MotoGP bike wouldn't have got you out of the turn if you had jammed on the rear break or something. Full marks to you.

However, I do have one question: what's a LIP?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Well done abm , good catch and nice save.......Whats that smell? Have you changed your pants yet? :pottytrain5: So where you scraping the lower leg shield and just how fast was too fast?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
allwalk said:
Well done abm , good catch and nice save.......Whats that smell? Have you changed your pants yet? :pottytrain5: So where you scraping the lower leg shield and just how fast was too fast?
Well, really, Lycheed...I saw the whole thing unfold and decided, 'Im going down". It was perhaps, 3 seconds. It takes 15 seconds to read the accounting. But you are right, when in a situation like that, the front anchor will only widen the turn, the rear will use up traction you need badly.

The LIP is the Laminar extentsion to the Windscreen. It has only come off once before on a really nasty pothole, and becuase I did not have it attched properly.. Still....I think its actually the wind screen flex that did it.

Allwalk: I was way over and a brief thought had crossed my mind that there is no pegs to feel into the turn. I did not notice any scraping...but I was way over ...you have no idea! Maybe I just didnt notice.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I usually turn my toes out on higher speed, deep bank turns, to sense the angle of lean as I have my 650 on the higher suspension settings, so it doesn't scrape side/centre stand very often.

I actually lost the front the other weekend on a slippery black substance that they use to repair cracks in the road - which for the life of me I can't recollect the name of. It was a perfect day, an unpopluated area 2200 meters up, and a snaking set of bends that ran for 35kms, and I was riding with the girlfriend and 20kg of camping gear under the seat. I was hard over - but I'm always hard over - and suddenly the front went. Luckily for me it was a tight bend, and I was only doing about 25mph. I instinctively put my foot down - which hurt very much indeed - but it was enough for the front to regain traction and we continued as normal. I told the girfriend that my foot had "slipped off the rubber floorboard". She bought it. I slowed down on that particular road after that. The pain went away about 40 minutes later...

Can you beat that? Roughly, how fast were you going?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It's funny now but it wasn't funny then. I really did dump a load when I blew a rear tire at seventy MPH. That was about fourty years ago & I thank goodness for the tubeless radial tires we have now. A rapid failure is far less likely now.
When the tire blows you have no directional control & all you can do is hang on for a wild ride.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lycheed said:
Can you beat that? Roughly, how fast were you going?
I thnik maybe 30-35 mph, which for that particular decreasing radius was very fast, with the bumps and all. However, with the right line and setup, you can go about 45. Its a question of paying attention, which I wasn't, and picking the line without the bumps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts