Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's executive started overheating a few days ago. Until then, you could clearly hear the fan working like crazy during our stretch of hot weather, now it's silent. Fluid was low, even though it was flushed and filled 3,000 miles ago. Topped off with water (didn't have antifreeze) and checked the fuse - its good.
Now "fluid" level remains high, but still overheating in moderate afternoon temps. I know I need to get coolant in there - does it require a special type?
Any suggestions on how I should proceed on the fan issue would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Have you checked the fan is free to turn by hand?
The fan mounting system is vulnerable to damage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't suppose there is an easy way to get to the fan, thermostat, or associated wiring, is there? What would I need to take off to get to these things?
And thanks for the quick replies!

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
You can check whether the fan is free from underneath the scoot without removing anything. If it's all free, check the fan switch. You can also get to the fan switch wires from undernrath as the fan switch is fitted to the bottom of the radiator on the left hand side of the bike. Just remove the electrical plug and connect the two wires together with a paperclip or something similar. If the fan starts working when the ignition is switched on, then the switch is faulty - replace it.

To get to the thermostat you will need to remove the engine cover - just a couple of screws I believe.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
And do not check the fan while the engine is running, you may learn it is running and cost you a finger. That would be the best place to start. :thumbup:

Did you make use of LeDude's site for help?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I would start by checking that the cooling fan turns freely by hand all the way around as suggested above and jumpering the temp switch.

If you have to add coolant after a service then either you have a leak or they didn't follow the proper bleeding procedure. Trapped air in the system can cause the temp switch to not read coolant temp correctly causing the fan to not turn on. Putting water in my work short term but depending on the amount can also cause over heating. Anti freeze does more than prevent freezing, it also raises the boiling point (along with a good system/radiator cap holding pressure) which allows the coolant to remain in contact with hot surfaces and transfer heat. If the mix has too much water it boils away from the hot surface and can't transfer heat to the radiator.

I think a visual inspection of all cooling system connections for any signs of leaks (repairing as needed), changing the coolant to the proper mix, and testing/replacing the radiator cap would be needed as well.

·
Administrator
18,364 Posts
Vancouver is a bit far south but I can maybe help here. Laying on the front side, (left or right per your L/R handed) and with the key off reach up and behind the fan. There is a shroud and in that shroud is the fan. You can spin it with your finger if it OK. On my 03 I hit a simi trucks tread in the road and it caused the shroud to bend just enough to stop the fan.

A test light probe is a great test tool. I use one to test both sides of a fuse and any connector. Both of these type will work. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 14Z1z10vbt

Do you really have over 50,000 miles on that 07?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! Get home from work and find lots of great advice! I will be putting this to use this evening.
I have been pressed for time, and threw the problem out there before doing any research - not even LeDudes great site. LeDude abides!
And yes, I rolled over 50,000 miles in Baja this last April. Not bad for the Great NorthWet, but just a piker next to farquharforever with 120,000 and SERIOUS off-roading.
No issues for me in over 50k miles. My wife's bike, however, has 15k and an overheating issue.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I am pretty sure you will sort this easily as long as you work methodically

·
Registered
2 Posts
i've got a problem with fan some time ago.
Found that the fan power wire, went out from its mount behind the radiator, sagged and worn out with fan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks (!!) to all who have posted on how to diagnose and manage overheating from fan failure. It's gotten me back on the correct side of the temperature cliff.

I started to overheat last fall when riding below ~35mph, and had a couple of instances where I had to stop because I got to 4 (and 5) bars on the temp gauge. I somehow convinced myself it was the thermostat, and got one. Didn't install it until last week, though, since I had to stop riding for nearly a year to get my bum hip fixed.

When I had nearly all the tupperware off last week, to install the new thermostat (so I could start riding again), my wife heard my colorful language and went online to look up Burgman overheating and found this thread. Suggested I look at it, which I only did after getting the new thermostat in and bike back together. I did the road test suggested in this thread and put it up on the stand, and darned if it didn't overheat again. Turned out the fan wasn't working, new thermostat wasn't the issue, and I'm not as smart as I think I am (fortunately, wife IS smart....and patient). When I got under the radiator, I saw that one of the fan wires to the coupling for the thermosensor had worked its way out of the coupling. Doh! That was a much better explanation.

This weekend, again using info from this thread, I jumped the wires in the coupling to the thermosensor, turned the ignition key to get juice, and the fan came right on! So, I managed to work the wire back into the coupling, reconnected to the thermosensor, and did another test drive. Fan came on automatically after about 2 minutes running on the stand after the engine was warm. No overheating, no more problem, looking forward to riding again.

I would have taken a lot longer to figure things out if it hadn't been for you all (and some redirection by my wife). Thanks!!!

·
Administrator
18,364 Posts
Well Dave, she has stumbled onto the best web site in the whole WWW. :D We can help fix everything but denture ooze. But then again I bet some JB Weld would fix that up. :thumbup:

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too had a problem with overheating, fan not turning on. Much thanks to you for suggesting I look at the fan wires. One of the wires had become stripped and pulled apart. A simple repair and a huge relief. As a sidenote, the LeDude videos have helped me tremendously with rebuilding my 650 clutch, replacing all the fluids etc. I have read many threads from so many people and I’m very thankful for all the guidance. Has made this process a pleasure.

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
I had the same issue, as have a couple other k7's who found the same break I had.
After reading wiring diagrams, finding there's a hard to get to relay in in the front behind the bins, I started going through it, first checking the fan by jumping the plug (it worked fine) checking fuses, even changing 'em just to be sure. Nada.
Finally started the wire trace & found that the plug where the fan harness connects to the bike harness had corroded badly, the spade in the plug was completely gone.
After repairing this I sealed it up as best I could with shrinktubing & waterproof tape.
To access this you just need to pull the right hand lower cover, preferably on a hoist or other raised platform since lying on your back on a garage floor is no fun.
Here's a pic of what I found.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Dielectric grease works too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts