Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
riding my AN650 2012, hadn't ridden in long time, installed new battery, started, ran normally for 5 minutes, then. the red F1 light came on and seemed to lose power, I could accelerate very slowly, but if I gave it any gas it would just rev and not speed up.

Any help appreciated.

David

·
Registered
270 Posts
If it appears to be stuck in first gear and hasn't been used for a while then check the centre stand switch as it may be sticking. check out le dudes info on getting the fault codes up

·
Administrator
22,019 Posts
I'd check the battery connections again.

Do a quick look at the wiring around the seat and battery areas. Rodents like to chew.

·
Premium Member
17,760 Posts
For the herd ,with a 2012 does a F I lite come on with the center stand switch? I don't think it does on my 15.

OP anywhoo, getting that FI code is yer next step, congrats, ye got something to do this weekend !

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your help, was unable to get back to the bike until now.

In summary, my AN 650. 2009, not 2012, F1 code came on after replacing the battery. Bike starts, but "never gets out of first gear, very little of power being transmitted to the wheel. Center with seems not to be stuck, and wiring looks ok. I did LeDude's trick of shorting the plug to get the F1 fault code. Initially there was no code displayed, but when I started the bike on the center stand, I got code of " -COO. "

Any advice of what this means, and what to do about it would be appreciated.

David

·
Premium Member
17,760 Posts
when you shut off the bike you lost yer code, you gotta get the fault indicator light again and check the code without turning off the bike , get it broke, stop, pop it up on center stand , jump the dealer mode switch, record the code, get back to the house and have a few refreshing beverages to prepare yerself for what the code means. probably the discomababulator is malfunctioning, and the bike has a problem too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this time, I connected the 2 wires as directed, then started engine and initially code was C00, then changed to C58, which means CVT reduction ratio disagreement.

I hope somebody knows what this means, and I hope the situation is not too dire...

·
Premium Member
17,760 Posts
ok we got a code that makes sense with the symptoms, Now Macc and his magic finger will finger it out for you (y)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump. F1 light on, code is C58, "CVT reduction ratio disagreement". Anyone dealt with this before, any ideas where to start?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,760 Posts
any maintenance done between the time you rode it and it was fine and now? I am thinkin there are a couple sensors in the cvt and if they don't jibe with other things you might get this code kkgood news is , one is easy to get to , bad news is the other you gotta use a borescope and tweezers, go in thru the tailpipe, around the left headlight and back over the top to the bottom inside of the cvt to see it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
C58 means the primary pulley and secondary pulley may be having a fight over their respective positions. Could either be sticking primary pulley sensor or debris causing the pulleys to stick in different locations. You could pull the PPS and see if the plunger operates smoothly with no crunching and make sure it is nice and clean. Need to take Tupperware off though to get to the top hex bolt to get it out. Stick a hoover over the hole as well see if it sucks and debris out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for your help, guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
No recent maintenance, rode it about once/ month over the winter, did not use tender, then the bike would not start due to dead battery, which would not take a charge and I replaced it. Immediately after that, the F1 light and engine racing and very little power getting to rear wheel

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Just remember us old folks like to give advice. It may not necessarily be correct advice but it is free 😉

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update.

When confronted w/ serious problem, my usual response is to procrastinate, and see if it will go away...
Been riding the "other bike" a 2000 BMW 1200c in the interim.

Problem was the clutch would seem to mostly disengage when given any power at all, got error code c58. reduction ratio disagreement. couldn't even drive it to the shop.

New info: so far, have done nothing, bike works much better, clutch only seems to 'partially disengage" when trying to accelerate rapidly, or if going over 45 mph,

15k miles on clock. oil is Rotella T6, although last change "a while" ago. I did clutch test, gunning the engine with both brakes pressed, and RPM immediately went up to 8-9000.

sometimes c58 code will come on within a few seconds, other times no error codes, but either way, it will switch to manual but 1st gear only, and blink 3x if I try to upshift.

do I have 1 problem (cvt). or 2. (clutch)

what do I need to remove to get to CVT sensors to "try to clean them out"?

Reluctant to go to dealer, since 2009 bike and cosmetic damage, cracked plastic below windshield from zero mph crash, probably would cost more than worth, and it "almost" works ok now

anybody within about 50 miles of Charlottesville, VA willing to help me with this "project"?

again, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
to clarify, "the cleveman". and. djc1. are the same person, had to set up new account when could not get into old one.

·
Premium Member
17,760 Posts
start by peeling all the paint off the garage walls, then strip the floor, remove air from tires next, have a few refreshing beverages and inventory your supply of badwords, yer gonna need a full months supply and maybe borrow a little from next month, lotsa tupperware gotta come off the right side bottom to get to the clutch, to get to the cvt you gonna hafta take off everything but the handlebar cover and hand grips.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts