Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Burgman is now just 2 weeks shy of its one year old warranty period and has about 11,500 miles on it.

It has been well maintained and been trouble free for 50 weeks so far.

Today, I filled up at one of the local non-major brand gas stations before taking off on a long day of riding. Lately, for the past 2 months, I have been adding a touch of Seafoam to each tank, usually only an ounce or two at a time. Today I did not.

While cruising down Rt 70 towards Baltimore, the red F1 indicator light suddenly came on and the LCD display's F1 symbol started to pulse on and off. Thankfully, I was just approaching a truck rest area and immediately pulled into it. I shut everything off right away. Pulled out the Owner's Manual to figure what was wrong. Fuel Injection problem indicated. The engine was still running quite smoothly and strong prior to shutting it down.

Started it back after a few minutes rest and everything seemed well. F1 light was gone and the engine idled properly. I started back onto the highway and brought it back up to speed (65-70) and kept it running until about ten miles down the road and then got off on an exit and continued my trip along some Maryland back roads. Continued on and back again onto another major highway and slowly worked my way back home (the long way of course). When I arrived home, I had put well over 100 miles on it since I had left the truck rest area and experienced no further issues.

Before the F1 light came on, I noticed that my mpg's were running about 4-5 below normal, even though the power and acceleration was in the normal range. After the restart, the mpg's went back up into my normal range and stayed there.

Any ideas on what may have happened here? A happenstance? Should I go ahead and take in while it is still under warranty and have it looked at anyway? Even if it continued to run flawlessly, would the shop's code readers be able to still pick up any trouble codes?

Panic or just chill out? :confused:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Absolutley I would bring it in.. why wouldn't you ? Way too much at stake and you don't want to void the warranty.. Is the dealer acccesible?

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
By all means get it checked out while it is still in warrenty. In all probably it was just a tempoary bad reading from a sensor that put the ECM in fault mode. When you turned off the key it cleared and did not reaccure.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Check the STVA white coupler under the seat. Sometimes it gets loose from vibration.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutley I would bring it in.. why wouldn't you ? Way too much at stake and you don't want to void the warranty.. Is the dealer acccesible?
Dealer only a mile and a half away - I will bring it in this week.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went in to the dealership today and had them hook the scan tool up to it. Sure as heck, the STVA showed up as the culprit. Since it did it only that one day and has not done it in over 700 miles, they added some fuel system cleaner and said to monitor it. They wrote up a ticket documenting the issue for future reference and told me if it happened again, don't even bring it in, just call them and they will go ahead and order a new one under the warranty and replace it. It may have been a fluke or a loose connector, as after it happened, I went and checked the STVA connector like Bolzen sugested and all has been good since that day. As I recall, while trying to remove the air filter from the box for cleaning, that wiring harness does get in the way and has to be pushed around a little.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts