Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I need to commute to my new job and really want to use my EZ Pass. I've tried it on 4 or 5 different trips and only once has it been recognized by the system.

Does anyone have any idea if, how or can the EZ Pass work on motorcycles?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Very big PITA.

I often experience the same issues and have questioned the tollbooth operators and called the E-Pass people about how to and where to display the transponder. No one has provided an intelligent or useful suggestion yet.

I got a small case with transparent window and Velcro arm band and strap it to my forearm when I expect to be using it. All I do is hold my left hand up just above the windscreen as I pass up the overhead sensor and have always been lucky with that.
Just make sure that you slow down enough to actually stop in case the gate bar doesn't actually open, although it has always worked for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't know about PA, but in NY you can get a motorcycle only EZ Pass. The advantage is that (in NY at least) the toll charge is less than it is for autos. It is visibly marked. I assume this is to prevent folks from getting the MC discount for their autos.

I have mine velcroed in the glove box. No problems so far with the toll booths.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I used one in Houston with no problems...

·
Premium Member
647 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes they work just fine. My wife has one on her 650, and I have one on my wing. In Houston, if the EZ Tag card reader doesn't read the tag, a photo is taken of the license plate. The license plate is then put into the data base to check for a EZ Pass tag. If the license plate is on an EZ Tag account, then no citation is issued. It works very well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure of the technology you're using, but here in Florida I use a SunPass with no problems. I used to have it mounted right behind my windscreen with velcro. I could then easily remove the unit and lock it away in my glove box when I parked the bike in a pubic area. One day I forgot to take it out and mount it before I headed out onto a toll road. No worry though, the SunPass system still read my transponder while it was still locked safely away in my glove box. I've never mounted it on the dash board again. :-D
You may want to make sure that your transponder unit is in proper working order.

Scott

2012 Burgman 650 Exec
Givi E55 top case​
KiwiDave side racks​
Givi E41 side cases​
MRA X-Creen Clamp-On​
21,844 miles

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here in New Jersey we have two different types of transponders one is designed to be velcroed to the inside of the windshield, this is the kind I use on my 650 on the lower rt. corner of the screen. Works just great. The other transponder is mounted on the top of your front license plate. Kind of big for a bike although I have a friend that uses this style on his bike. EZ pass is a God send especially on the bike!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've used the my EZ-pass on the WV-Turnpike/I-77. There was a learning curve for me after getting the advice from the main office of just putting it inside your coat pocket. This was inconsistent at best. I finally figured it out with the help of one of the toll operators. The pickup is overhead and setup for the middle of a car/truck with the transponder mounting under the rear view mirror (thus the middle of the vehicle). If you drive your Burgman in the left or right wheel track (to avoid the oil, etc) the transponder didn't always pickup. Since I switched to putting the transponder under my windshield and driving in the middle of the lane it's working much better.

Bruce

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See, that's why I'm confused. I have put it in these places but it just doesn't seem to work. It's the one from my car, it works great in the car and it is new as of February this year. I just don't want to have to buy one just for the cycle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts