Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang - more questions from the newbie, this time regarding extended warranties.

The previous owner of my 400 indicated that he bought it new in May of 2004 - that means it is still within the 12 month warranty period, but coming up quickly on the end of it. I'm considering whether or not to pursue an extended warranty.

if I take the VIN in to a local dealer can they look it up and verify whether or not it is still eligible for an extended warranty? Ford has their "OASIS" system that allows the dealer to input the VIN and it shows the day the vehicle was built, the day it first went into service, and all work that has been done at a Ford dealer - do motorcycle manufacturers have a similar system?

Would an extended warranty be a good expense considering I know absolutely nothing about working on these things? I know my way around my Ford F450 Powrstroke and my wife's Ford Escape, but scooters and motorcycles are completely foreign to me.

Are there any problems likely to pop up that an extended warranty would even cover? It seems that these things are pretty reliable - should I even worry about it?

How much can I expect to pay for an extended warranty from a dealer?

Thanks, guys (and gals!)...

·
Registered
247 Posts
My 650 is in the exact same situation as your 400. My warranty is up in May/04. I've gone to my dealer and am going to buy a 2 year extended warranty for $489 (canadian) If figured for that kind of money it would give me peace of mind for another 2 years. If just one major thing goes wrong it will have paid for itself. Not that I want anything to go wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Alan, as a second owner you may only be able to get a used bike extended warranty. I believe only the original owner has a year to get a new bike extended warranty

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I generally don't purchase those extended warranties anyway. The odds of getting your money's worth out of it are very slim. In most cases they are pure profit for Suzuki & the dealers. It is a gamble of course either way, but declining the coverage is a pretty good gamble. Even if you have to eat a $200 or $300 repair bill, you are still ahead.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I bought my 400 used, and 3 months b/4 the warranty ran out I bought an extended warranty (over the net), I figure cheep insurance. 389.00 dollars for 48 months. That's around 8.00 dollars a month just in case something gives. 8)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Really - Mr. Paul stated the brass tacks. I will run out of warranty next October so..... I'm on the fence..... what?! with all these computer hookupz snappin and me and my manual slash power mode jabbin at the whole drive train thing...

oh crap - why does my MoonPie smell odd (gear train smellz - 80 weight..?) after an odd hour of manual mode jerkin around!? hmmmmm.

I just might sign up for that coverage.

dunno.

I am 60 percent nice 40 percent naughty. I've tapped on the rev limiter twice in manual mode ( :oops: ) Once when i didn't know (or sense or hear due to the full face helmet, and a huge muffler) the fact that I had hit that point - I was either just experementing (sp?) for fun or flat out racing a daggum nice pre EGR 71 small block vette.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts