Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2011 Burgman 650 Exec one year ago, and now have a whopping 2144 miles on her (medical problems).

Except for the first fluid change, and routine maintenance, no other work was needed during this first year...I've been enjoying the first miles without any hitches.

This is my first scooter, and I have two questions.

First, considering I probably won't be putting more than 4,000 miles per year on her, and considering I probably won't be able to do any repairs (except for the fluid changes and routine everyday maintenance) myself, is an extended warranty a good idea?

Is there anything on the 650 that can go wrong with age (versus extensive riding mileage) that would warrant an additional warranty?

I need to make this decision now, as the time is (or maybe has already) running out to buy the warranty.

Also (I know this is more than 2 questions), where's the best place to purchase the warranty?

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought a new 2011 Burgman 650 Exec one year ago, and now have a whopping 2144 miles on her (medical problems).

Except for the first fluid change, and routine maintenance, no other work was needed during this first year...I've been enjoying the first miles without any hitches.

This is my first scooter, and I have two questions.

First, considering I probably won't be putting more than 4,000 miles per year on her, and considering I probably won't be able to do any repairs (except for the fluid changes and routine everyday maintenance) myself, is an extended warranty a good idea?

Is there anything on the 650 that can go wrong with age (versus extensive riding mileage) that would warrant an additional warranty?

I need to make this decision now, as the time is (or maybe has already) running out to buy the warranty.

Also (I know this is more than 2 questions), where's the best place to purchase the warranty?

Thanks for your advice.
It is up to you as to whether to purchase an extended warranty. If you do, I would start with your local dealer to secure a quote. As the investment people always ask, "What is your risk tolerance"? Prices on these are fluid and negotiable. Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/eshopprod_cat_5052_product_632839.New_Suzuki_Motorcycle_Plans.htm

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/cycle/suzuki-sepp/

TW

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
With the small number of miles you will be putting on it, I think the years would probably run out on the warranty long before you are likely to have any issues that will exceed the cost of the warranty.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
With the small number of miles you will be putting on it, I think the years would probably run out on the warranty long before you are likely to have any issues that will exceed the cost of the warranty.
I second that , save your money .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Save your money. Extended warrantees are mediocre deals at best. And you never know what the company is going to cover until you need it. My friend got one on his car and sure enough, when problems started occuring, the company gave one excuse after another why the repairs weren't covered. Not saying all warrantee companies are like that, but I wouldn't want to find out.

My bikes are 6 and almost 9 years old now and I've had no age related problems what-so-ever. Just keep it in the garaged and out of the sun. That's a much better insurnace policy.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Like others before have said, save your hard earned cash. At 4k per year that's only one oil change. Will take 2 years before you need a rear tire and 3-4 before you need a front tire. Save up your cash for those. ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was all set to buy the warrantee when the bike was a year old and the offer came from Suzuki. The salesman that sold me the bike talked me out of it saying the only things I probably will have to replace are tires and you know what he was 100% correct. Save your monery.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your replies. I'm not really familiar with the inner workings of my Burgman, or what might go wrong in the first 20k miles, and I wanted to get input from those of you that have ridden many more miles than I do in a typical year.

I'll do as you suggest, and save my $$ for future maintenance (oil, filters, tires, etc.).

These "mega scooters" must really be built well, with all the good stuff I've been reading here...and I'll just keep enjoying my Exec without worrying about possible mechanical failures.

Thanks again for your help in this decision.

--Andy

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Take the cost of the extended warranty and put it away somewhere. I guarantee you that the average cost of repairs for someone in your situation with your vehicle is going to be considerably less. If that wasn't true, nobody would make money on the extended warranty and they wouldn't be for sale.

Yes it's true that your repair bill MIGHT be higher, but the odds are seriously against it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
At 2400 miles per year, I would save the money. I bought a one year old Burgman with 1100 miles on it. The person that owned it had a three year extended warrantee that he paid $995. The bike now has 29,000 on it with no problems. This bike has bee rode hard with no problems.
Respectfully,

David Miller

·
Registered
10 Posts
One alternative to an extended warranty is to keep your own repair fund. Open an interest-bearing bank account or CD and deposit $50 per month for the duration of your new car's bumper-to-bumper warranty. When the warranty expires, bump up your deposits to $75 per month. Most cars don't generate big repair bills until they are at least seven years old, and by that time, you'll have well over $5,000 in your repair fund and no worries about deductibles, coverage limitations, or denied claims. Best yet, if you never need to dip into your repair fund, you'll have a healthy down payment for your next new car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
joeyorav, That's a great idea! I don't know about the $$ amounts, but my wife and I will put some into an account that we don't currently use for anything else, and watch the balance in the account grow.

And the best thing about that plan is that along with the growth of $$ in the account will come increasing peace of mind knowing that the money will be there in the event of any unusual repair.

Thanks again all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts