Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on an extended backrest using the stock pad. What I'm trying to have it do is extend up, but also retract down to the stock position. What I'm wondering is, would this be something anyone would want to buy? What would be a fair price for something like this? Etc

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'll be honest, I don't see a whole lot of love for that stock pad here on the forum. I'd encourage you to come up with a clever idea, but don't bet the farm on people wishing to have the thing retract to the stock position.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
As a seller of a backrest extension, the problem will be cost and size. I understand what you want to do as I have thought about it, however, with all the time and effort you will have in it, then ad the special parts to make it slide up and down, then you have added a lot of parts all of which need space to rest. Then there is the appearance complaint. I am working on a new one to be out later this year, but extending/sliding is not in the works. If you wish to try it, go right ahead. I am sure there will always be a few people looking to try out new things.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I'll be honest, I don't see a whole lot of love for that stock pad here on the forum. I'd encourage you to come up with a clever idea, but don't bet the farm on people wishing to have the thing retract to the stock position.

I agree I think you would be barking up the wrong tree with the butt stop . Also , price matters . Most won't pop for the better back rest like the Utopia because it's in the $200 + range , even though IMO it's worth every penny . Some are plain and simple to cheap , and others are afraid that they won't like it and it would turn out to be a waste of money . Either way it's a rough road to hoe , the manufacturing , the shipping , the paypal fees , some unhappy customers from time to time . NOT EASY !

TheReaper!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
+1. Sliding down to the original stock position would appeal to very few.

What I do read, however, is a lot of riders wanting more legroom. Thus they remove the butt bumper altogether. If you could somehow design a backrest that is flush with the rear portion of the seat and even slants back a bit, then you might have something the taller guys could use. Make it adjustable and sell it for $100-125, you'd have a winner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am one of those that wish the stock rest would move back another inch or two. I most likely will remove it or try and modify it some.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If you could somehow design a backrest that is flush with the rear portion of the seat and even slants back a bit, then you might have something the taller guys could use. Make it adjustable and sell it for $100-125, you'd have a winner.
I am working on this, but then there is welding involved, custom foam, custom covers, so the charge will be about $200. With everything involved, it would be a money losing project at $100.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I am working on this, but then there is welding involved, custom foam, custom covers, so the charge will be about $200. With everything involved, it would be a money losing project at $100.
You're going to have to move your manufacturing to China :D

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
You're going to have to move your manufacturing to China :iconbiggrin:
I actually do take offense to that statement. I know not all of my materials are made in the US, but I will gladly pay twice the amount for a quality American made product. This thread can go another direction, but let's keep it about the original theme: "Extended backrest "

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My idea behind it all was that when I have a passenger, I don't need the backrest because she wants to hold onto me. Most girls I have on they have no experience on a bike and the backrest would just simply get in the way for her. And I don't want to have to take the extended backrest off every time I pick her up. Because, I'll want it when she doesn't ride, but when she does, it's a hindrance. Also, I don't always where my Giegerrig backpack. And when I do, a backrest will end up pushing way to far forward. So, having it able to slide down to the stock position would be ideal. Idk. I was also toying with the idea of just making a new pad to use that still would go up and down. What do you think after hearing why I started it? And as far as price and fabrication go, we have a huge steel shop so welding, grinding, powder coating, sewing, etc is all in house. Wouldn't be too much out of the way to do. And it looks like the whole mechanism would fit in 1/4-1/2 inch of space. That's where I was toying with just making a new pad.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I actually do take offense to that statement. I know not all of my materials are made in the US, but I will gladly pay twice the amount for a quality American made product. This thread can go another direction, but let's keep it about the original theme: "Extended backrest "
Dude ! it was a joke .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
347 Posts
It amazes me that after 12 successful years of pioneering and producing the maxi scooter, Suzuki cannot or has not been able to make a proper saddle and backrest system for these machines.I would be more than willing to give up a little trunk space for butt space. It makes me kind of angry to ponder this.
The 650 is the flagship of these big scooters, yet you can't ride it any longer time wise than a 200, pretty sad. Yet, we will continue spend more money on somebodies new Idea on how to ease our sore backs and monkey butt in HOPE that it will be the silver bullet to cure it. I say " Go for it " make your back rest. And don't let the ney sayers stop you. You never know, it may be the silver bullet, until Suzuki steps up to the plate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I took my butt pad off the driver seat, mounted it on top of the back rest for the passenger. Only took two pieces of metal for bracing and a little black vinyl for the back.....the wife loves it. Then I bought the Volvo head rest for my back rest.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Don't be offended. Be realistic. At $200, you're not going to sell very many. You could reduce your costs by going offshore, like everyone else does. You will be competing on price with simpler designs.

Myself, we have the 3brothers backrest, which does very well for a fraction of the price. It is simple enough than anyone handy with the proper tools could build one in an hour or two from a sheet of 1/2" plywood and some fittings. That's what you are competing with.

Regards
Scott Fraser

1 - 14 of 14 Posts