Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought for the heck of it to give something a try. As we all know as soon as you roll off the throttle the 650 has some incredible engine braking. What I was doing today was as I was coming up to red lights or a stop I would click it into manual mode and the Burgman would coast without near as much engine breaking. When I come to a stop I just click it back to auto mode and carry on. This works great with 2 up as your passenger doesn't get the sudden jerk forward when decelerating.
I suggest you all give it a try and see what you think. I found I had to be on the brakes more so be careful.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Another way to avoid some engine braking is to roll off the throttle, instead of allowing it to slam shut. Try it. I've ridden my brother's 650 and my Derbi GP1 is just as abrupt.

EDIT: BTW, my GP1 has a bit more engine braking than stock due to the 13.9:1 70cc engine I have installed. Stock, they're not as bad as the 650.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I agree with you Aaron. If I don't want the engine braking, I roll the throttle slowly closed. I have also gotten in the habit of everytime I want to stop, to put slight pressure on a brake lever to activate the lights.

Eddie

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'll have to give that a try allwalk - I've only used the manual system once.

I have developed a habit of actually giving it a little blip on the throttle while slowing down just to compensate for the enging braking, and now that its turned into a habit, I am not minding the engine braking so much anymore.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Experimented today with manual button

Used the manual button in a different context. Did a 280 mile round trip over the weekend, from Peterborough UK to the Cotswold Hills, in mixed weather, lovely sunshine one minute, medium to heavy rain showers the next. On the steeper hills, brought the speed down on the brakes, switched to manual, mostly 3, sometimes selecting 2 because of the steepness. Worked very well, minimal braking, even if we had traffic ahead of us, as the speed range in any one gear is quite wide - it naturally dropped our consumption figures. Heat guage stayed on three bars throughout the trip. 2 very happy people after this ride out.
Regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts