Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I've ever seen any down filled motorcycle clothing and was wondering why . In places like Antarctica where -50 degree wind chills are common they where suits like this . Any one ever tried any thing like this ?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I know from wearing a NON-motorcyle down filled jacket that if you go down (pun intended) you will leave a trail of feathers everywhere....But they sure are the warmest jackets for riding!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not being familiar with down gear I would think that it would not have the strength of motorcycle gear, built in pads for crash protection, etc. Motorcycle gear is user friendly for bike riding and does give very good warmth for riding in most riding conditions. My Katmandu Firstgear riding jacket and pants will handle the elements just fine for my riding wants, if it's too cold for it them riding is no fun for me. Also the down gear looks very large and bulky, which I would think that riders would prefer something that is more flexible when riding.

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
I usually dress in layers then if it warms up I can adjust to the temperature. I start with a Gerbings Heated Jacket liner ( one of the best gifts my wife ever gave me ) , I then add a down filled jacket liner and top it off by adding my leather motorcycle jacket. If you have never tried a heated jacket liner , do so , you will be glad you did. The weather here in Nashville has been below freezing for much too long and I have come down with a case of P.M.S. ( Parked Motorcycle Syndrome ) . As soon as all the ice gets off the roads I am getting on the scoot for a much needed ride.............Dan

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
+1 To the heated jacket liner...It's always cold in central Illinois:tongue:

My heated liner and and my Cortech Jacket have always been sufficient...down to -5F

Heated grips and gloves and insulated riding pants and a balaclava complete the winter package...and you are still ATGATT with protection:D

I bought this coat 32 years ago...and it still works as good as the day I got it...but...I would never ride in it...no protection, except from the cold

·
Registered
230 Posts
my wife bought her self ski pants which were only $40 and she loves them .we have a very short winter here maybe 3-4 weeks were its cold in the morning about 9 degrees Celsius

·
Registered
27 Posts
The problem with down gear, other that the fact that you'll explode in a flurry of feathers if you have a get-off, is the fact that down is very compressible. This makes it great for portable gear that you carry with you, but on a bike or scooter the wind will compress the down, and compressed down has no insulating qualities whatsoever. Stick to fleece gear, it also works when it gets wet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
my wife bought her self ski pants which were only $40 and she loves them .we have a very short winter here maybe 3-4 weeks were its cold in the morning about 9 degrees Celsius
first. my lottery winning dream is to retire in Oz.

2nd is funny that ski pants are in order for riding in 9c weather. around here that is warm lets get out and ride winter weather. (west coast Canada)
Havent stopped riding yet this year. Even when it was 1c ...lol. 10c in winter in Canada is beach weather, especially after suffering thru -50c (with wind chill) like the eastern half of the continent has been in the last week or so.

·
Registered
230 Posts
minus 50c you don't need a bike you need a snow cat....I can see why Australia looks a better proposition ,,,,mind you Canada is on my list of places to ride in the next 2 years.

·
Registered
280 Posts
minus 50c you don't need a bike you need a snow cat....I can see why Australia looks a better proposition ,,,,mind you Canada is on my list of places to ride in the next 2 years.
Nah Bikersmurf Canada will be out of the question as its the ice age over there now not global warming they have led to believe in, they got it the wrong way round. Better you stay here and enjoy year round biking weather which accounts for Australia's increase in boat people and American military build up and actors and others all queing up to get here LOL

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Down jacket over motorcycle jacket equals warm and protected. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
what is the weather like in the Gold Coast area? I was born in Toronto, Canada but left there in 1991 for Vancouver. I hated the weather extremes Toronto gets. From lots of snow and -50c winters to +50c (with humidex) humid summers.

For me i would be looking at the Melbourne / Adelaide / or Perth areas

·
Registered
230 Posts
well the temps are between 27c and 36c in summer very rare to have 40c winter it gets down to 9c and no higher than 25c its our best bike season no rain and very mild autumn and spring it dose not get any hotter than 32c so summer is the most unconfutable to ride due to the humidity .Melbourne can have all these seasons in one day.as for Adelaide and Perth they are pretty much the same as us on the gold coast Queensland

·
Registered
806 Posts
Down jackets

I know from wearing a NON-motorcyle down filled jacket that if you go down (pun intended) you will leave a trail of feathers everywhere....But they sure are the warmest jackets for riding!
I ride in South Florida. In the Wintertime it can get down to the 30's. The best riding clothes for me is my Eddie Bauer cheapest jacket. ($59) under my leather jacket, Winter gloves, a gater for my neck and Sliders pants. I put Velcro straps around the bottom of the pants. The leather protects me and the down jacket really keeps me warm.

The nice thing about the down jacket is it can be compressed down to a softball size and stored in its own pocket. If it warms up I just compress it and store it under the seat.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Down jackets

The problem with down gear, other that the fact that you'll explode in a flurry of feathers if you have a get-off, is the fact that down is very compressible. This makes it great for portable gear that you carry with you, but on a bike or scooter the wind will compress the down, and compressed down has no insulating qualities whatsoever. Stick to fleece gear, it also works when it gets wet.
I wear a down jacket under my leather jacket. Are you talking from experience or only guessing regarding feather compressing. I have never had that problem. Set up this way the riding clothes I wear are very warm.

I ran a test last weekend. I tried wearing Sliders Kevlar armored pants against regular jeans with long under pants under them. The sliders were much better. I also used thin shock cord around my ankles.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wear a down jacket under my leather jacket. Are you talking from experience or only guessing regarding feather compressing. I have never had that problem. Set up this way the riding clothes I wear are very warm.

I ran a test last weekend. I tried wearing Sliders Kevlar armored pants against regular jeans with long under pants under them. The sliders were much better. I also used thin shock cord around my ankles.

I have a few of what they some times call a down sweater , what they are is what appears to be a nearly paper thin down jacket . I normally wear a large but in these I buy a medium , they fit snug , so snug that they look like they are to small for me . I use them as a layer usually around the freezing mark with a summer jacket over it , that way I can strip a layer off and on getting in and out of the truck and I seldom get over heated or cold . What I have found is that even the thinnest down garment can keep you warm if it fits snug to the body .

Yesterday it was zero here with a 30mph wind , I wore a modern 700 count down North Face bomber waist length jacket with hood . The jacket fits close to the body so nothing can enter , and it didn't . I was as warm as toast like I was sitting around the house on a summer day .

From what I've read on mountaineering sites , NOTHING can beat down for warmth . I bought a Ralph Lauren Polo down filled jacket 25 years ago and it still looks new , or it did when my son borrowed it 3 years ago LOL . If you buy a good down jacket and you take care of it there is no reason why it shouldn't last you 25 years , or the rest of your life . All that said , in order to get maximum performance from down it has to fit close to the body .

TheReaper!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts