Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading posts and recently visited a dealer with questions about some of the costs of ownership. I am doing my due diligence in making a decision as to whether to buy a 650. I was horrified to learn that tires only last about 5,000 mi on average and the cost to have them installed seems very high to me. I realize there's a lot of labor involved - about 2 hours, I believe. Also, the 600 mile service is about $450! After that, I don't know what annual costs might be if I have a dealer do the work. I would probably do the oil changes myself, both engine and final drive. I realize that my 96 Harley is low-tech compared to the Burgey 650, but I wasn't expecting the annual costs of ownership to be that high. My question is: Am I right about the average tire usage at 5,000 miles? What are annual costs after the first 600 mile service? Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can figure about 13cents/mile for your tire costs. People don't ride motorcycles/maxi-scooters to save money. Overall, the burgman 650 is one of the cheaper bikes to ride. The burgman 650 is pretty much bullet proof and you will be well pleased with the scoot. I think you will find better tire mileage than you were told, at least I do with my 650.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I bought used so don't know about the 600 mile service. Front tire last 15k & rear went 7k. I do my own oil changes so cost hasn't been a big deal. Find a nice low miles used one & saving will more than pay for any tires it goes through.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I have been reading posts and recently visited a dealer with questions about some of the costs of ownership. I am doing my due diligence in making a decision as to whether to buy a 650.

I was horrified to learn that tires only last about 5,000 mi on average and the cost to have them installed seems very high to me. I realize there's a lot of labor involved - about 2 hours, I believe.

Price of installation is now about same for all tire that dealer install on any bike, it is labour cost that is high. 650 Tire cost less also than 16-17-18-19 inch wheel & tire. Tire life depend on how you ride, very aggressive rider get 5,000-7,000 mile on rear tire, many less aggressive member on BUSA claim to get 12,000 - 15,000 mile on rear tire, front tire normally get about double rear tire mileage. You can still find Ma & Pa shop that will install tire for $25.00 - $30.00 approx. per tire. When using my local Ma & Pa shop previously it take him about 30-35 minute per tire for uninstall wheel, swap tire and reinstall wheel.

Also, the 600 mile service is about $450!

Depending on dealer this can cost as low as $175.00 - $200.00, you can do this yourself also, keep all your detail receipt and log, also purchase service manual to make maintenance easier. Some BUSA member did pay ridiculous price and were abuse on this by some stealership because not know better and did not shop around for better more normal price.

After that, I don't know what annual costs might be if I have a dealer do the work. I would probably do the oil changes myself, both engine and final drive.

Then very little cost for you if do oil change and maintenance because nothing else require much regular maintenance.

I realize that my 96 Harley is low-tech compared to the Burgey 650, but I wasn't expecting the annual costs of ownership to be that high.

Cost very low on 650 compare to many bike on road. Do not understand why you think it so high except believe you only take in to consideration only the highest price you find on this forum.

Many member here will confirm quality of bike, incredible fun factor (burgman grin) and very respectable cost of ownership maintenance.

I will say that the ABS parts are expensive like on all other bike which have ABS part, but you only change such part if have accident and plastic part are damage.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
The Parts Are Much Expensive for Japan Bikes and Cars Such as NISSAN Parts are Expensive Honda are more Cheaper Parts and Honda Cars as well,

We used to Own a NISSAN and the Parts were Very Expensive But Now Own a Honda Civic Parts very Cheap!! Repairs much Lower then a NISSAN or TOYOTA

Not to sure about the Honda Silver Wing,

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I bought used so don't know about the 600 mile service. Front tire last 15k & rear went 7k. I do my own oil changes so cost hasn't been a big deal. Find a nice low miles used one & saving will more than pay for any tires it goes through.
Ya, you should always buy used if you can. You Can avoid that expensive first service.

So far as annual and tire costs... Oil changes every 4k are $20. Filter every 8-12k $8. My last rear tire cost $54 and my front cost $35, $40 to install each, that's not bad. The front lasts twice as long, 12k, as the rear, 6k. So you can do the math with how much riding you intend to do. Some put a car tire on the rear that lasts 30k.

Of course there are other intermittent repair costs, like valve adjustments, plugs, air filter, etc., but overall, I don't think the 650 costs are out of line with other bikes. There's no belt to change, or chain to adjust or replace and the clutch lasts a long time. The engine is a rock solid performer.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
When I am out on the road and going thru the curves, I forget the expense. When I see the expenses, it is not really much to worry about. I average about 45mpg, my car tire should get about 30,000 miles. I do my own oil changes. My expenses are low. I would think of it as a house, sort of. If you are in love with it, it is worth it.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
The first service is really a glorified oil change, but additional bolt check and a good going over.
Can also tighten all bolt yourself.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I came from a 2001 Harley Electra Glide Ultra to the 650 Burgman. I do my own oil/filter changes and I've gone from the Battleax tire to a car tire shown in my sig line - and only because getting a dealer to put a tire on or an oil change without making an appointment is a PITA. Each time I show up for the 'appointment' they tend to take their sweet-assed time doing the tire change or oil change. I get the feeling they don't really want my business - and I've told a few of them just that.

The Harley cost me about $1500 the last two years I owned it - and I only rode it about 1500 miles! A dollar per mile before gas and oil factored in isn't cheap IMO. First it needed a new belt at ~28500 miles (broke BEFORE the first ride of spring! in the garage!) - then a new stator that fall - then the 30,000 mile service - and all within that 1500 miles and two year span! I'm done with motorcycles for reasons of health - can't chance getting a leg over one without pulling something out of shape in my back.

I didn't go with a Burgman because it was cheap - I bought it because its fun to ride - and I can't imagine not riding two wheels any more. Costs are a minor part of the equation IMO. I have about 5-6 months of good riding weather where I live. If you are worried about costs you'll need to live in an area where you can ride year round to justify the costs - if not then its only worth the expense if you really enjoy riding.

My last 3 motorcycles were Harleys - and they all cost me more than anything I've owned before or since - and some of that cost was farkles. I did make out pretty well off the 95 Ultra - I bought it with a sidecar on it for $15000 when the bike alone booked at $17000 - I sold the sidecar for $2000 so I was $4000 ahead when I bought it. I put a couple thousand into it with a couple of 10k interval service checks and about $1000 with head work and an S&S carb and Andrews cam. It was still a slug! I sold it 7 years later for $11,500. The 2001 stock was much quicker and the fuel injection was nice. A 1990 Fat Boy wasn't cheap either - but I had it 'hopped' up with high compression heads - cam - big S&S carb and Porker Pipes. It was pretty fast but a back breaker!

Don't worry about losing the Harley - unless your manhood can't take riding a scooter! I draw the line at pink - but I proudly ride my black 08 scooter!

·
Registered
643 Posts
My wife will tell you it is reddiculosly expensive to operate, & I do all the work myself. My daughter & I could care less. I get between 7 & 8 thousand miles on a rear. I have been told I ride fast. A local shop charges me $20 to mount and balance. The rear tire is a snap to remove and replace, I did have a little learning curve with the rear caliper, but now easy peasy. Don't pay attention to my wife, she thinks a long ride is anything over 2 hours and stopping for ice ceram is frivolous.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Except for major breakdown at 73,800 miles (CVT I guess as i took the clutch apart and did not see any problems there), it has been cheap to operate.
I change Engine and Xmission oil every 4 to 5K (Valovoline MC Oil at Walmart is $3.98 a quart and FRAM filters about $8 as I remember), and final drive every 10K. I have never had the plugs changed or valves adjusted in 73,800 mles.

Tires - I use a Car tire on rear (20K miles) and OEM on front (about 16K miles). Buy OEM from Chapparal and Car Tire from Tireeasy.com. Take wheel off myself and had folks change the tire for $20. Bought a tire stand and planed to do it myself. But, the ones I have done on my MC have been a lot of trouble. Not worth the $20 to do it yourself except for satisaction.

Had one problem documented here. It blew the ECM 12 v input and every light bulb that was on. Managed to get out of that one fixing it myself for around $500 (Posted the probelm amd fixes on here sometime ago, I was lucky to be able to fix it). Found a used ECM on E Bay for $110 and bught a new regulator, battery, ad light bulbs.

Not expensive to operate if you buy used and luck out (I did $4500 fro a 2007 with 1700 miles in 2008 and put 73,800 miles on it).

HOWEVER -- Have a breakdown (clutch or CVT, or ECM) and you will have some expense FOR SURE. Complicated machine it is. Take it in for all the servises (Valves, oil changes, and it would cost you a fortune).

I am now trying a Burgman 400 - at least I think I can change the Belt, and work on the CVT myself. We shall see.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Except for major breakdown at 73,800 miles (CVT I guess as i took the clutch apart and did not see any problems there), it has been cheap to operate.
I change Engine and Xmission oil every 4 to 5K (Valovoline MC Oil at Walmart is $3.98 a quart and FRAM filters about $8 as I remember), and final drive every 10K. I have never had the plugs changed or valves adjusted in 73,800 mles.

Tires - I use a Car tire on rear (20K miles) and OEM on front (about 16K miles). Buy OEM from Chapparal and Car Tire from Tireeasy.com. Take wheel off myself and had folks change the tire for $20. Bought a tire stand and planed to do it myself. But, the ones I have done on my MC have been a lot of trouble. Not worth the $20 to do it yourself except for satisaction.

Had one problem documented here. It blew the ECM 12 v input and every light bulb that was on. Managed to get out of that one fixing it myself for around $500 (Posted the probelm amd fixes on here sometime ago, I was lucky to be able to fix it). Found a used ECM on E Bay for $110 and bught a new regulator, battery, ad light bulbs.

Not expensive to operate if you buy used and luck out (I did $4500 fro a 2007 with 1700 miles in 2008 and put 73,800 miles on it).

HOWEVER -- Have a breakdown (clutch or CVT, or ECM) and you will have some expense FOR SURE. Complicated machine it is. Take it in for all the servises (Valves, oil changes, and it would cost you a fortune).

I am now trying a Burgman 400 - at least I think I can change the Belt, and work on the CVT myself. We shall see.
You personally put 73800 mile on bike, it cost you $0.06 per mile excluding maintenance cost which very little of, replacement tire, brake. not expensive at all.

Was there not Suzuki recall for free dealer inspection of ECM on 2007 model and free replacement of ECM if require ?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

I live relatively near you and you are near my daughter. Where do you get a tire changed for $20. I need to know so they can do mine.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
You personally put 73800 mile on bike, it cost you $0.06 per mile excluding maintenance cost which very little of, replacement tire, brake. not expensive at all.

Was there not Suzuki recall for free dealer inspection of ECM on 2007 model and free replacement of ECM if require ?
Yes, not a RECALL, - a Customer Satisfaction thing, some folks had problems with the new design on the 2007 of computer controlled idle, so the C S Deal changed the ECM and installed an Idle Control Valve (whatever that is, I do not know) as part of the C S Deal. I found out about it on this web site about the time I had fixed the blown ECM with the Used ECM from E Bay.

Anyway, I called Suzuki and my Serial Number qualified IF I WANTED IT. I did. Turned in the OEM one that had the blown 12v input. So, now have the new one on the Scoot and the used one from E Bay in a cabinet.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I live relatively near you and you are near my daughter. Where do you get a tire changed for $20. I need to know so they can do mine.
I am talking wheel off tire change. Long story.

Had a dealer I worked with after the original dealer got to $35 wheel off (original dealer was where I bought the first bike 2001 600 VLX). The new dealer gave me Chaparral price on tires (plus a little) and installed wheel off for $25. They went out of business (they were in Morristown, TN). The old dealer had dropped his price back to $25 wheel off. All of them add sales tax (near 9% here).

Then saw an add on Craiglsit for $15 (no tax), a guy in Sevierville running a side job (I always gave him $20 anyway). He said TN does not requrire sales tax on labor (if that is true - these shops, MC and Car, are ripping people off). He just had a stand and hand tools and balancing stand. A few nicks do not bother me.

Then I decided to buy a stand and do my own. Not sure the saving is worth the trouble. Stand is pretty good one for around $100 and I use Hand Tools. Learning process (More Nicks than the oter guy HA!). See my Post on the car tire for the Burgman 400 that I tried to install myself. Got 'er done with help. I just balance the wheel on axle (can't on the Burgman 400 due to the splines in hub and on axle - so, I had Bob, Dynamic Balnace, do it. He did not charge me for it. Actually, I have never fiound a MC tiere needing much balance.

Bob is a retired Honda Mechanic and really knows his stuff, has one heck of a shop setup in his basement for everything. No Mar and dynamic balance on tres (only does Wheel off). $15 Wheel off. He lives not too far from I-40 Exit 407 in TN.

I tried hard to get him to take on my Burgman Problem (No Way he said, not getting that involved). He does tune ups and tire changes. But, I have not used him for a tire change. since I started struggling with my own. BE SMARTER if I did, just get some satisfaction of doing it my self.

I cry when I think of the money I wasted on tires and tire changes initially at the dealer. Buy tires on Internet (Chapparal has good prices, service, and free shiping over $100), then find someone to change them for you or start douing your own. Probably would have saved $1200 over the last 270,000 miles since May 2001 if I knew waht to do.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The Burgman 650 clutch is no more complicated to service than any UJM with transverse crankshaft. Unbolt the cover, dismantle, inspect, change worn parts and button it up again.
The alternator and regulator is a common problem with many different bikes.

Only the CVT, mainly because lots of tupperware has to be dismantled to get to it, is expensive/time consuming to fix.

Regarding tires, here in Europe hardly anyone gets more than 7500 km, and most get only about 5000 km out of a rear tire.
I've gone dark with a car tire, and can hardly tell the wear after 10,000 km.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I concur w/ owners here who's saying it's dirt cheap to own the 650.
I'm going on 4 yrs w/ my 650, have racked 10k miles, and so far, my out of pocket maintenance expense has been two oil changes and one coolant flush, in conjunction with filling it w/ fuel when low. That's it. Still on original tires, and the wear bars in the rr is almost about there. I don't typically ride when it rains or in the winter, so I could easily sneak in another yr's ride (av. 2.5k miles/yr) w/ the stock tires.

Parts wise, I had to buy a small qty of plastic rivets to replace broken ones, one halogen headlight lamp, new battery, and just recently, put 4 new well nuts bought from home depot ($6 for 4) when I swapped back to the stock windshield.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks so much for the posts. All of it makes perfect sense and I feel better about the costs of owning a Burgy 650 - I've decided to buy one very soon. I've been riding for over 50 years and I can't imagine not having a bike in the garage to jump on when the mood moves me.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
This is kinda incorrect family question. Should have read,

Excuse to own a Burgman

1 - 20 of 28 Posts