Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Burgman 400 1 week. It's really tough to go thru the break-in miles. Anyway...What can I expect for gas mileage on a 400? :?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had my 400 for almost six weeks, and I've been averaging just a hair over 60 mpg.

Yes it is very tough to hold it back. 4000 rpm's is just enough to have someone leave tire tracks up your back, and across your helmet. I'm still breaking mine in, with about another week before I can cut her loose and let her run.

Good luck, drive safe, and enjoy your bike.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My first three tanks all ran 70-77 MPG, then I ran about 65 MG for a while. I dropped like a rock at the first service down to 55 MPG (a problem not unheard of here) and have been crawling back up ever since. Now, I can pretty much count on 60-65 MPG with little or no Interstate driving, a Givi windscreen, a Givi E-52 topbox, and a 320-pound rider.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My 400 started at almost 75 mpg during the break-in, and also dropped right after the first service to about 58-60 mpg. I don't think it's the service, I think it's the 70 mph instead of 45 once I could go 6000 rpm. I'm holding steady at around 60 mpg now. Started to drop again a little at around 1400 miles or so, but thanks to some help here I figured out that my highway commute to work every day is clogging the air filter faster than I would expect. Cleaned it, and now I'm better again.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
sethbeth1 wrote
I have had my Burgman 400 1 week. It's really tough to go thru the break-in miles. Anyway...What can I expect for gas mileage on a 400?
If 100 members respond you will most likely get 93 different answers (if not 100)
There are just to many variables, but the answers you got so far give you a starting point :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Some riders are getting in the high sixties and even a few in the low seventies as an average. Your MPG will depend on your riding style and the type of riding you do. I've noticed a sharp decrease when riding at 65-75 MPH over back road cruising at 45-55. If you have a heavy hand on the throttle, you'll also show a decrease in MPG. My worst MPG was just under 52 MPG and have had a high of almost 76 MPG. With my slightly aggressive riding style (for a 400) and mix or local, back road, and Interstate riding, I average somewhere around the mid to low 60s.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have just finished off my first tank of gas for my new bike. I calculated it out to 68mpg. Thats almost all city riding. The rpm range was kept at the 4000 range as recommended by the manufactorer.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My wife's 400 seems to get 60mpg exacty, at every fill up. My 650 has gone up from 43 to 45.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts