Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a new owner of 09 650. I was wondering what kind of expectations can I expect to receive from my new machine? What is it like cruising on the interstate and how you handle being stereotyped by others who ride cruisers, sport bikes etc? Im really curious of others opinions on these matters.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
On the freeway, you will hear more wind noise, than noise from the scooter,
unless of course, you turn up the sound in your helmet speakers.
Some other riders will wave at you, some will ignore you.
Most 4-wheelers will ignore you..some of the smart-aleck drivers will cut
back in front of you 'way too soon....but they probably do it to all motorcycles.
Just ride your own ride, at your own comfort level, & cruise-on.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
They cruise very nicely on the interstate. Last year I took my '09 from SoCal to Moab and back. Having a larger windscreen is nice to have like my Givi. I got my best mileage on that ride too (50-59 mpg). As far as other riders go usually opening the throttle and pulling away surprises them. I just tell them I'm not over compensating for something else.:D

·
Registered
585 Posts
IMO if you're worried about acceptance from riders on sport bikes and Harleys you should have gotten one of them bikes. Since I couldn't care less what someone I've never met thinks about what I ride I simply ignore them. I don't wave unless waved to - and I don't always return the gesture. I feel no need to explain to anyone I don't know why I'm riding a scooter - and people that know me know why I sold my last Harley - and haven't questioned the wisdom of my owning a scooter.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
imo if you're worried about acceptance from riders on sport bikes and harleys you should have gotten one of them bikes. Since i couldn't care less what someone i've never met thinks about what i ride i simply ignore them. I don't wave unless waved to - and i don't always return the gesture. I feel no need to explain to anyone i don't know why i'm riding a scooter - and people that know me know why i sold my last harley - and haven't questioned the wisdom of my owning a scooter.
right on.!!! Brother! Power to the scooter riders.!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
+1 on that from an old iron horse driver

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've not taken mine on the Interstates, and have no intention of doing so. Interstates are boring--the secondary roads are so much more interesting.

·
Banned
78 Posts
I don't really give any thought to what people may think. I also own a 2009 Dyna Super Glide and don't give much though to what people may think about that.

As for the Burgman, it's a super smooth interstate machine that will allow you to ride from tankful to tankful with little need for breaks.

Ergonomics are a subjective thing, but I have a 34" inseam and the stock seat never fit me at all. Removing the bumper resulted in a huge improvement, but everything really fell into place for me when I outfitted my bike with a Corbin "long" seat.

It's now the most comfortable motorcycle that I've ever owned.

I've owned a lot of bikes over the past 35 years,...cruisers, standards, sport bikes, big sport touring bikes and they all lost their allure after a few years.

I've owned the Burgman for four years and I like it better today than I did when I first bought it.

The Dyna Super Glide that I also own is a fun bike but it doesn't present the comfort, the effortless ride, or the convenience that the Burgman does.

My personal experience with the Burgman has been, it's so good that it has spoiled conventional motorcycles for me.

The stretched out riding position the Corbin seat provides,..the multiple foot positions from the running boards,..the automatic transmission,..once I got used to all of that, it's not as much fun to go back to straddling, clutching, and shifting.

It just seems too uncomfortable and too much bother to go back.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've not taken mine on the Interstates, and have no intention of doing so. Interstates are boring--the secondary roads are so much more interesting.
+1. Within the group of riders with whom I ride, our motto is, "Friends don't let friends ride the Interstate!" Love your roads, Elkhound. I have family roots in the Glenville area.

·
Banned
78 Posts
I've always enjoyed traveling the Interstates by motorcycle. The panoramic views combined with the speed and the generally good condition of the pavement all work together to make it an enjoyable experience.

Some are better than others, of course.

I-64 through Virginia is a good interstate ride,...lot of mountains and very wide sweeping curves.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I too enjoy riding the interstate. Set the electronic cruise, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. Makes an excellent way to ride to work.

·
Administrator
18,750 Posts
I have over 100,000 miles on Burgman 650's, split between 3 (03, 2 ea 08's). I have owned over 10 bikes long term and bought/sold some 10 or so more. Liked my Buell, owned for less than 2 months and two "Ultra High Performance Awards" from LEO's. I also do not care what others say about my "Girly Bike". I don't force them to ride it and I don't want to ride theirs.

Go to the top "Dark Blue Bar" and click the Knowledge Base. In there is lots of info on different models and years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts