Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have fitted an after market muffler to my 2005/650 burgman, the fuel economy has improved which is a good thing as this all l have to get around on/ in ( no car), the problem is it sounds like a constipated blowfly not good. I have been told that if l cut the balance pipe in the exhaust system a block that pipe off on both endss that it will make the exhaust note lower, can anyone tell me if this mod will effect the performance of the bike.

Peter

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
any mods on exhausts will impact the performance, what you've been told is sort of true but probably the bike will react more quickly and it will impact your MPG. Im not an expert, im sure somebody else will explain all the techy details of it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have never had an after market exhaust system that improved fuel mileage. On some bikes it does improve performance, but then you get the loud exhaust, you need to buy a fuel controller for the fuel injection to work properly, and like everything else one thing leads to another. I'm strictly a stocker today, if the manufacture didn't put it on from the factory, then I don't want it.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
The fuel mileage improved by about 2 klms/ Lt which makes it better for me when we pay $1.54/ Lt, when l had my trailer it would drop about 4-5 klms/ Lt which still did not seem to bad. The exhaust note is a bit louder than standard but it just sounds a little bit off when you take in the size of the bike. I don't want to make it louder just a little bit deeper, l guess if l fake out the balance pipe and doesn't work l can always put it back in, no boggy. The new also improved through performance a little, l have rattled a couple of the bigger bike about town. Summer is almost here in the land of OZ today's temp at home was 38C, just warming up. L hope we don't see temps like a couple of years ago when we had a week of 45-50 C.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I hear you, you may try to drill a hole through the internal baffles inside the muffler so there is a clear path from the front to the end of the muffler, and check it, if still not deep, drill another one and so forth, this may cause you to fail the emissions inspection.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I had my C50, I did what was called an Honest Abe conversion. I bought a round, pointed steel rod at Lowe's, and with a few swings of a 40 oz. hammer punched a nice 3/4" hole through both the inner and outer baffles. Had the same effect of lowering the exhaust tone, without raising the volume too much.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Any alterations to an original exhaust system require fuel adjustments for the system to work properly other wise you can end up loosing horse power and gain more fuel usage, Nothing you change from original item will not require some adjustment else were take it from me who has been a motorcycle mechanic for some 35 years and worked on the world superbike scene and home in my business of modifying and restoring bikes

·
Registered
137 Posts
It has been my experience that if you make moderate changes to the exhaust, and leave the intake ALONE, there won't be any issue. My 1997 ST1100 had Two Brothers mufflers, and stock intake. Ran great with improved mileage. 1500 Vulcan with Cobra exhausts and stock intake. Same results. Two Harleys, ditto. 650 Burgman with Yoshi exhaust, same. I think it is only when you change both the intake and the exhaust that you exceed the capability of the computer to adjust the mixture properly. If the computer can adjust the fuel system to run smoothly from sea level all the way to 7-8,000 feet, I would think it could handle a slightly reduced back pressure from a freer flowing exhaust. jmo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts