Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed out the rear tire a week or two ago. I replaced the donut gasket that fits between the head and the elbow pipe. The gasket between the muffler and elbow pipe looked good so I put it back together. Doing some errands I said to myself boy is my bike loud.

I wanted to check for an exhaust leak so I looked on line for the best way. I didn't want to buy a $200.00 plus sniffer or smoke machine. I saw one on amazon for less then $20.00 that ran on a cigar!

I ended up using my shop vac on exhaust after removing the bag and cleaning it out and some soapy water. The exhaust can get so hot with the engine running the water would immediately evaporate. Sure enough was getting bubbles between the muffler and elbow pipe. I already had the new seal and pulled the old one out with a pick. That's why the inside looks so marred up.

I'm going to go outside and start it up to see if there is a difference but thought I come in first and cool down and do a write up.

Attachments

Reactions: SemBurg

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a thin strip of shop towel or string taped to the end of a stick and hold it near the connection whilst it's running is quite effective too. don't wanna use bare hands, it gets a lil toasty in that area quickly. :oops:
I burnt my knuckle on my index finger! I was using my vac hose as a stethoscope :rolleyes: to see if there was still any noise and accidently touched the elbow for a split second. The bike was not running for a full minute yet. Wow!

• Wow
Reactions: JRoss

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I must look at mine, when I changed the tyres a few years ago, I'm pretty sure that the old gasket was reused. There should be some traces of soot from the leak, if there is one.
I wouldn't have replaced it accept my engine seemed unusually loud.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts