Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost 70K miles, I have an exhaust bolt that was stripped out. I couldn't, and still haven't, figured out what caused the bolt hole to lose the threads but it has and the exhaust header cannot be tightened.

This is cast aluminum and I have no idea how to fix it. Has anyone had any experience with the threads being stripped out on the engine case? For reference, it is one of the two bolt holes on the engine where the exhaust elbow attaches.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You could try a heli-coil but I fear the head would need to be removed before it could be priorly installed.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yes, Helicoil it. Head will probably not require removal. However, you only get one shot at t so if you haven't done anything like this before, let alone doing it with the head in situ, then give it to a pro to do. Strictly speaking a drill guide must be used but most pros can do it without too much difficulty freehand. Much depends on how accesible the location is. I,ve done it before on motorcycles but access has been easy. Let a pro take a look at it first. Engine might need dropping out which is easy on the Burgman 400. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will give the heli-coil a shot. I have already been looking for a newer bike. My Burgman has treated me well and saved me a lot of money commuting for the last 6 years. 65K miles / 52mpg avg X $4 a gallon for fuel is roughly $5K in fuel. If I would have put those miles on my BMW or F350, my fuel costs alone would have been over $13K. Not to mention tires, oil, and other breaking car parts.

P

·
0 Posts
After almost 70K miles, I have an exhaust bolt that was stripped out. I couldn't, and still haven't, figured out what caused the bolt hole to lose the threads but it has and the exhaust header cannot be tightened.

This is cast aluminum and I have no idea how to fix it. Has anyone had any experience with the threads being stripped out on the engine case? For reference, it is one of the two bolt holes on the engine where the exhaust elbow attaches.
Yes both mine are totally stripped 2007 burg 400 no cal
I dont think heli coil will ever work on mine
The metal is too weak and crumbly
Holes are oval shaped
Must hold muffler on with springs and wires
Many hours spent doing this
Getting good at it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts