Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the emblem, is there any difference between the OEM Suzuki passenger backrest for the 650 and the Executive passenger backrest? Also, can anyone compare the Givi backrest to the OEM backrest?

While on the subject of backrests, has anyone simply taken their driver's backrest to an upholsterer, removed half the foam, and restored it to the bike to retain a stock look but pick up some extra inches?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
joezeff said:
Other than the emblem, is there any difference between the OEM Suzuki passenger backrest for the 650 and the Executive passenger backrest? Also, can anyone compare the Givi backrest to the OEM backrest?
I haven't seen the Executive yet, so I can't help there.

joezeff said:
While on the subject of backrests, has anyone simply taken their driver's backrest to an upholsterer, removed half the foam, and restored it to the bike to retain a stock look but pick up some extra inches?
I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good idea. I'm starting a long trip on the 28th, and was going to do it sans sacral support, but I think I'll try this first.

I'm no upholsterer, but how hard can it be? It's not like I'm tackleing the whole seat. (If I ruin it, I'll just get a new one before I sell the bike.)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
joezeff said:
Jim has done some modifications to his driver backrest to provide additional legroom. See his picture gallery at : [url]http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Seat-Mods[/url]

Some forum members have bought a backrest bracket that raises the backrest to a mid back level can also give you some extra space. See : [url]http://www.rvtoys.net/[/url] for details and pricing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rvtoys

Thanks for the links. Has anyone gone the route of just using the lower pad from the rvtoys site? I'd love to see a picture of how that looks. I'm not crazy about the look of the long-necked backrest, but I do like the idea of taking off the stock backrest and covering the holes.

Joe

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Joe,

As far as I know, nobody has commented on the lower backrest pad yet. The owner of the rvtoys site is jacvinson...a forum member. Maybe he can answer that question.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Further questions on OEM backrest

1. Hard to tell from photos, is the back metal or plastic?
2. User or dealer installable?

·
Super Moderator
8,066 Posts
joezeff,

I did modify the driver butt pad, and it's a good little project.

Here's the link to the photos
http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Jims-Gallery
From a prevous post
"Just modified my 650 seat.

Took the covering off the backrest.

Sanded the foam down about 1/4" on the Lower 1/2 only, then carefully removed the foam.

Cut about 3/4" off the plastic on the lower portion in the center about 3/4 the width across.

Cut 2 new notches int the 2 pipes to get that extra 3/8" back and locked.

Replaced the top bolt that holds the plastic backrest to the metal frame with one thats about 3/4" longer.

Tipped the back rest foward about 1/2" using a larger nut as a space between the metal frame and the plastic support.

Installed the foam (didn't cut it to match the plastic support) using spray fabric adhesive.

Reassembled the backrest,.

All in all I gained about 1" in legroom, the backrest (buttrest) no longer digs in my tailbone, and supports my lower back at the beltline.

There is about a 1/2" space between the seat and backrest.
Then I took care of the passenger part. My wife said she felt like it kept pushing her foward, only using the backrest when she leaned back.

Well here we go again.

Took the covering off the back up to the backrest.

I marked the foam about 1/2 way between horizontaly.

Sanded about 3/8" thickness off the back 1/4 then tapered it to the mark I made earlier.

My wife being there helped (for the custom fit).

Taking some open cell foam I cut it to fit under the backrest (to fill the space from raising it), to the mark I made earier. tapering the thickness to 0" at the rear.

Recovered the seat (using the origional material)

Time:
Backrest took about 2 1/2 hrs., 1 soda pop and 1 coffee.
The Seat took 1 1/2 hr.

I was going to cut the center out of the seat for a gelpad but we'll try this 1st. She said it's much more comfortable.

The gelpad is always there if we need it.

I have since added the gel pad.

If there is any thing else feel free to PM me
Jim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A nice little project, eh?

You're clearly more adventurous than I. I wish there were a place one could send a seat to have than done (hint, hint).

·
Super Moderator
8,066 Posts
If you want to send me the backrest, I can do the same, using my 650 seat as a template as posted. Beveling the foam adds about 1/4", cutting the backplate adds another 3/8" or so. Tilting it dosen't really add any thing but does raise the pressure point "up" closer to the belt line. We may be able to achieve the same thing by adding some additional foam to the upper part of the pad. That way there would be no space to fill in at the back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I love about Burgmans

This board is tremendous. That's a huge selling point for the Burgmans — this incredible community of people helping people. Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that. (I'm hoping to pick one up next week after my Aprilia Atlantic sells on eBay. I've found a couple 04s left around here at good prices, just waiting for the Aprilia to find a new home.)

·
Super Moderator
8,066 Posts
I've seen those before, I wish they were more availble. The Higher pad would be better for the passinger and I really like the luggage rack.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
JohnnyDeath said:
If I could get the importer to reply I would be ordering this as my passenger back rest...

http://www.fehling.de/images/Kymco/7830_H.jpg
Have you tried calling the US Importer?

Scooter Parts
Custom Fabrication
Jim & Mary Buhlman
2023 W. Lone Tree Road
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Tel. 319 277 3750
Email: [email protected]

I just called and left a voicemail. We'll see if there is any response.

·
Registered
368 Posts
that's where Fred from the yahoo group ordered from.

they are slow to respond, but should be able to do it for you.

with the Euro up, this stuff has become pricey.

I spoke with them a while back about getting the protection rails and it as $600.00 (up about $80 from a few months before that)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
billmeek said:

Scooter Parts
Custom Fabrication
Jim & Mary Buhlman
2023 W. Lone Tree Road
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Tel. 319 277 3750

Yow! That "very accomodating" vendor at Scootercade that I described - That's them! I recognize their names - and they were doing a brisk business in installing Fehling rails among other things. Great folks to do business with!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
That "very accomodating" vendor at Scootercade that I described - That's them!
COOL! Yery good to know. Just added a few questions to my list. :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
billmeek said:
JohnnyDeath said:
If I could get the importer to reply I would be ordering this as my passenger back rest...

http://www.fehling.de/images/Kymco/7830_H.jpg

Scooter Parts
Custom Fabrication
Jim & Mary Buhlman
2023 W. Lone Tree Road
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Tel. 319 277 3750

I have EMailed them twice in the past week with no response. I want to get the backrest sissybar/luggage rack and the full protective rails and fender guards (I love the way they look and think they would be nice on my Black 650). Or maybe all the guards and a Givi Trunk with brake light kit and back rest...

So much to buy! and I still need to order a windscreen too!

If I do not hear back soon I will call. I feel better hearing they are "very accomodating". Now if they will just accomodate me by replying...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
JohnnyDeath said:
If I do not hear back soon I will call. I feel better hearing they are "very accomodating". Now if they will just accomodate me by replying...
I think it is a part-time business. They also have a lot of bills to prepare and send out for the goods they sold at Scootercade without collecting payment there. They did this for a lot of folks, since they could not take credit cards at the rally. Mary told me that it might be a month or so before I get my bill, as it will take them awhile to get caught up. I know we are all accustomed to "instant gratification" when we decide to purchase something - me too. But I liked those folks, and I appreciate their trust in being willing to bill me for the windscreen and cycle cover that I got from them rather than using up my limited cash at the rally. I'll certainly do business with them again.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Re: rvtoys

joezeff said:
Thanks for the links. Has anyone gone the route of just using the lower pad from the rvtoys site? I'd love to see a picture of how that looks. I'm not crazy about the look of the long-necked backrest, but I do like the idea of taking off the stock backrest and covering the holes.

Joe
I haven't had anyone try JUST the lower pad. It would certainly work and would add about 3-4" of seat/leg room. The main bracket I sell is not necessary to install just the lower pad.. good thought.
jac vinson
rvtoys.net

·
Registered
355 Posts
pauljo said:
I liked those folks ... I'll certainly do business with them again.
If Paul says they are "OK" then I will take a deep breath, smile :? and be patient.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts