Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OEM Bridgestones on my scooter didn't last as long as I would have liked, especially the rear. I'm 73 and a pretty conservative rider in terms of speed, acceleration and braking. I live where a lot of terrain changes from flat, rolling four lane to two lane, twisting, steep mountains roads. The original tires gave me 8500 miles on the rear and 12500 on the front. When I went to replace the rear, being short of money I opted for Kenda's. One have the price of the Bridgestones, however, the rear gave out at 4500 miles. I just replaced the front with a Kenda, so I will wait to see how it wears.

After the short life of the Kenda rear, I bit the bullet and installed another Bridgestone. While the OEM is twice the price, it wears twice as long. And the effort getting the tires off, taken to a shop for mounting and reinstalling them is time consuming and there is always the mounting costs. So, overall, I guess I'll stick with the more expensive Bridgestones.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If it's a 07 on 400 then there are 2 rear Bridgestones both the same size, one is intended for the Burgman the other for some years of Silverwing, I think the Bugman one as a G after it's size, the Silverwing one lasts about 2000 miles more than the Burgman one, they are the same price.

·
Premium Member
14,259 Posts
Since the title of the thread says "Exec tire wear" then I assume this is a 650.

8500 miles is above what I get from most brands on the rear of my Exec. I usually get somewhere around 7,000 give or take a few hundred on my rear tires. The only brand that I got less than that on was the Pireilli Diablo which only went about 4,500 miles. I've never tied the Kendra though. Tires I have tried on the 650 in addition to the Pirelli are the OEM Bridgestone, Metzler Feelfree, and Michelin Pilot Sport. All three of those brands got around 7,000 miles but I like the handling characteristics of the Michelin the best so that is what I run.

On the front I get around 18,000 miles from a tire. I run the OEM Bridgestone because it has a unique profile that is not duplicated in other brands. I like the way that profile on the front of the 650 makes it handle so I stick to it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Considering your riding profile, your OEM mileage is not bad at all.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm jealous because I'm just past 4K miles right now and there is no way I'll get to 8K. I guessing I'll be forced to change the OEM rear between 5K and 6K. Too much 80+ MPH running, jack rabbit starts, and my own extra mass I expect.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Considering your riding profile, your OEM mileage is not bad at all.
Yup, I'd love 8500 from a rear tire. I only get 4500.

Try a Shinko, it lasts as long as the OEM on mine. So maybe it'll do 8500 on yours, plus they're half the price.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Changed the rear on my 650 today ..... 6700 miles on the BS OEM. I like the OEM's b/c of how smooth they are at 80, even 90 mph. Reasonably happy with mileage cause I'm heavy and ride a lot of backroads that have a course surface.

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
197 Posts
When do you consider tire to be "ready for replacement"? I read somewhere that tread depth of 2mm (not at wear bar) is time for replacement. Or do you take it to the wear bars?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Depends. I changed previous tire at 6200 b/c it was 7 yrs. old and I was gonna leave for a trip. It had some more miles on it. This tire was about the same wear - wear indicators were worn. I think I could have gotten 300 more miles, getting it to 7000 - but it had a tiny little hole in the center of tire. Besides when you run them that close they're more likely to go flat from small objects in road. And I have to limit myself to local riding and NO full speed runs on the super slab. So I changed it soon as my scheduled permitted it.

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
765 Posts
And if you get caught in some rain ...... VERY bad.

Sirkitrider

"Depends. I changed previous tire at 6200 b/c it was 7 yrs. old and I was gonna leave for a trip. It had some more miles on it. This tire was about the same wear - wear indicators were worn. I think I could have gotten 300 more miles, getting it to 7000 - but it had a tiny little hole in the center of tire. Besides when you run them that close they're more likely to go flat from small objects in road. And I have to limit myself to local riding and NO full speed runs on the super slab. So I changed it soon as my scheduled permitted it."

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Me jealous, 8500 mile is GREAT !! Would love to get that !

Remember this is 14 inch wheel only, not 16-17 inch or more, 14 inch go around many many more times.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Have you considered the dark side?
I actually liked the ride and stability better on the dark side.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How many of you people actually change you own tires? I took the 650 to a friend ,who does tires as a second business, and he worked on the rear for well over an hour. Do you use tire irons or a machine? It looks as if tires are a short term maintenance item.
Allen

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Now learn how do this from brother, friend and you tube.

Now have 2 x12 inch & 2 x16 inch Motion Pro tire iron, No-Mar tire bar, No-Mar Yellow thing, No-Mar paste, DIY tire changer, make with old 13 inch car wheel.

It cost $40.00 - $50.00 each tire for mounting now. Some dealer charge more if tire not purchase there.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You CA riders just eat up tires!!!!

I was born in Southern, CA and was there for 50 years.

A man by the name of John Grinzel, a poster here and on other scooter and motorcycle forums, rode Soooooo many miles per year on his scooter's, it was amazing, something like 50,000 per year so he used a LOT of maintenance items, especially tires and if I remember correctly got about the same mileage as the OP.

He did cost study that reflected badly, especially on the current line up of scooters that were more expensive than small economy cars to operate, considering replacing tires, 6 sets in 50,000, plus valve adjustments every 8-14,000 miles, oil and filters etc-etc!

They could surely make MC and scoot tires that would last for a while and weren't so expensive, after all, they are small:)

Sam:)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
There is no doubt my Renault Clio Diesel is cheaper to run than the 400 Burger I had
but the car leans the wrong way in corners.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The "touble and strife" has a Citroen 2CV, same engine size as the Burgman, and much heavier, but the tires go for 50-70 thousand km.

Ralph's comment about leaning is an understatement with the 2CV (they roll big time!), so perhaps that's the answer? - Are we all leaning the wrong way on corners??

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Darksiding - using car tires as rear motorcycle tires - makes the tire costs neglible compared to fuel costs.

On the OEM Bridgestones, I could add 1/3rd on top of the fuel costs for just the rear tire.

On the car tire, which has already run for 3 times as long as one OEM tire, and has lots and lots of thread left, the costs until now have been 1/20th of the fuel costs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Have you considered the dark side?
I actually liked the ride and stability better on the dark side.
+1 Right on.
Later, Jim

1 - 20 of 36 Posts