Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a K4 400 so are not really familiar with the K7+ model.
I have not come across this device or seen it mentioned on this web site. may be not looking hard enough!!
The "evap system", is this the method Suzuki now use on the 400 Burg to help reduce crankcase oil loss.. How does it work, that's presuming it does work.. johnD

·
Registered
244 Posts
All the info you are looking for about the"evap system" is in the owners manual.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Ooooh- there's a recent thread about this WITH DRAWINGS :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been told by the Suzuki agents that this device is only fitted to California registered 400 Burgmans.. Europe and Australasia don't have this anti pollution device..

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I think Hussein is talking about the PAIR valve. The OP could be talking about some kind of charcoal canister that is used to recapture gas fumes (my wife wishes I came equipped with one) caused by evaporation. I don't know if Burgmans ever had one of these. I know my Passat has something along the canister lines.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I think Hussein is talking about the PAIR valve. The OP could be talking about some kind of charcoal canister that is used to recapture gas fumes (my wife wishes I came equipped with one) caused by evaporation. I don't know if Burgmans ever had one of these. I know my Passat has something along the canister lines.
I believe that as well.

I equally believe the OP is speaking of the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system which was altered slightly on the '07 + models:

The '03 to '06 PAIR (Pulsed AIR injection) and PCV systems look like this (green arrows are fresh air through the PAIR to the exhaust posts, red arrows are the crankcase fumes PCV flow):

The PCV tube on the '07+ rises as it connects to the air box rather than dipping a bit as on the earlier models (blue arrows below, the green and red arrows are intake air, air/fuel mix and exhaust flows) :

I placed a more restrictive plug (with just a 1/16" hole) in the PCV tube on my '03 400, it cut the oil consumption at higher speeds to a negligible level.

There is no EVAP (EVAPorative emissions), fuel tank vapor control) system on either the '03 to '06 or '07+ 400.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It looks like only vehicles sold in California are equipped with both exhaust and evaporative emission systems. The manual for my 2014 model briefly describes them and does say it applies only to this state, which is usually more advanced in smog control than the rest.

Recently I sold my Piaggio mp3 that also had a evap system, and some folks said that they removed the carbon canister from their scooter. They thought that it caused engine stalling.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
It looks like only vehicles sold in California are equipped with both exhaust and evaporative emission systems. The manual for my 2014 model briefly describes them and does say it applies only to this state, which is usually more a̶d̶v̶a̶n̶c̶e̶d̶ restrictive in smog control than the rest[/I [corrected, emphasis added].

Recently I sold my Piaggio mp3 that also had a evap system, and some folks said that they removed the carbon canister from their scooter. They thought that it caused engine stalling.

I knew the CA models had catalytic converters, and am not surprised to hear they have EVAP systems too...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I believe that as well.

I placed a more restrictive plug (with just a 1/16" hole) in the PCV tube on my '03 400, it cut the oil consumption at higher speeds to a negligible level.
Is this the circled item in red labeled "PVC HOSE" where you did this? I'd like to do this on my 04, but can't quite grasp the issue though I've read about it.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The PCV hose (#10 below) has a flow restrictor in it, at the airbox end, with a 5/32" or better diameter passage in it (#11 in the diagram below; Suz'i calls it a breather jet):

I made a new one with a 1/16" passage and placed it in the crankcase end of the hose to further restrict flow though the PCV hose, and hopefully cause oil vapour to condense and flow back into the crankcase. It seems to be working...

·
Registered
770 Posts
I will have to check when I get home, but I recall my K12 DOES have an EVAP system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts