Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
pirmil,

Thank you for sharing these with us. Very interesting article of the head to head test of the Burgman, Silverwing, X9, TMax and Atlantic. I for one envy the number of publications available in Europe that cover scooters. If I had only paid more attention in Spanish class!

deseo que mi español era mejor

Thank you again, and please share more with us.

Bruce Woodburn
AN650

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yesterday while on the way home from one of my many trips up to Bear Mountain NY a BMW 1100 came up on me and gave me a hint he wanted to see what the Burg could do so we went at it. At one point I looked down and the Speedo on my Burg said 103 and I was still beside the BMW but at that speed I got scared and backed off. I know that our Speedo is off by as much as 6 mph so I guess I was not really going over a 100mph. I wonder that head to head test that they say the Burg top speed was 101.2mph how did they come up with that speed rating.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
burg650 said:
I wonder that head to head test that they say the Burg top speed was 101.2mph how did they come up with that speed rating.
One magazine got 117 mph (gps verified) out of a AN650. They had their lightest rider on the machine, no wind, level race track.

I can't get anything close to that out of mine. I run a Clearview XXL windscreen (acts as a big air brake), I weigh 225 & always carry a bunch of stuff under the seat. I also have a Givi E52 trunk (small air brake). And of course it is almost always quite windy in Nebraska. Going into the wind, on level road, I'm lucky if I can get an indicated 101 mph (which is probably a true 90 mph figuring in a 10% speedometer error).

The add on accessories provide comfort and convenience that I would not give up for an additional 10 mph, and the extra tools etc that I carry under the seat give me some peace of mind.

Before the add ons, I had it up to an indicated 110 (a true 100 mph). But accelleration over the indicated 100 mph was absolutely boring - you could see the speedo slowly tick up 1 mph at a time. And the machine felt quite light at 100 mph - manageable, but not too confidence inspiring.

Suzuki builds the Hayabusa motorcycle for those folks that feel a need to go 190 mph (no exaggeration). The Burgman 650 has 1/2 of a Hayabusa engine, weighs a little more - and performs accordingly. But when it comes to what is real road riding for most of us - commuting, errand running, touring, day trips, joy riding within legal speed limits (more or less) - the AN650 is very hard to beat.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've seen 112 (indicated). :shock: It had more, but I didn't really need to know. Stock windshield, no add-ons. It often reads 100+ when passing. I'm going to order a new shield, probably tomorrow, so those speeds won't last. :(

·
Registered
498 Posts
This is the first time that I've seen a little sense come form a review written by the journalists of Performance Bikes magazine. Typically, they are crap, and only focus on meaningless specification which is the norm for sports bikers in Britain. This is a pleasent surprise - but it only tastes sweet because we came out on top.

However, it has to said that the only way they could write a decent article on a scooter was by taking it to a race track and going faster than motorcycles. That's not really the deciding factor for many scooter owners to part with cash, and it realy is to apease their race-rep-or-bust readers. Still crap.

I'll have a hunt around for it, but one of the best and most sensible articles I have seen written on the 650 was by a German magazien I beleive that ran a back to back test against the R1150 RT and STX1300. That is probably nearer to the application that many 650 owners have in mind than scraping floorboards around a race track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts