Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While fueling up earlier today I noticed the pump said "All gas blends contain ethanol" or something like that. Which almost made my pull away because I remember something reading or hearing something about ethanol being bad for engines. I could not remember if that included bike engines. Nor could I remember who put out that study.

It matters to me where the information comes from. In our modern interconnected world you can't tell the players without knowing where their $$$ comes from.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Almost all fuel vended in the US contains 10% ethonol - where pure gasoline is vended, it will be conspiciously stated on the pump or in the area of the pump. Will ethonol hurt you at 10% . . . I think not mechanically, however, I gain 3 to 5 mpg by using pure gas in lieu of ethonol mixed with gasoline. Pure gasoline is IMHO a better fuel, more efficient, etc.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
+1 with what WeeWilly said....but I'd also like to add cheaper to produce.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Dave Moyer said:
+1 with what WeeWilly said....but I'd also like to add cheaper to produce.
Sorry to disagree with you...........BUT - 99% of our ethanol comes from corn and with this Summer's draught in the middle od our country - very little corn!!!

AND that is the main reason for the big increase in the price of gasoline now.......!!! And NOT any lack of crude oil... :( :(

·
Registered
661 Posts
Seems I heard that the Feds/we are subsidizing ethanol and/or corn production. Anybody set me straight on that?
:cheers: Jim

·
Registered
82 Posts
Page 2-2 of both our 650 and 400 Owner's Manual (little book) say under the heading "Gasoline/Ethanol Blends, Blends of Unleaded gasoline and ethanol (grain alcohol), also known as "GASOHOL", may be used in your vehicle if the ethanol content is not greater than 10%."

It says further over on the page " DO NOT USE fuels containing more than 5% methanol under any circumstances. It goes on to warn that if you do and if it does damage your warranty will not cover it or the Emisson system.

There is a lot more information on those pages.

I have considered printing this part of the book and putting a copy in my tool kit for the times that I am away from my usual fuel stops and the numbers get twisted around in my head. My mother put some high percentage ethanol in her Subaru Baja when traveling through Kansas in January 2011 and ended up with a total engine repair. Big mess. She learned to read the fuel pump. I read the pumps now, but I still don't remember all the info each of my auto manufacturers and bike manufactures specify.

Also, BP had a gas recall this week, mainly hitting Indiana drivers and some in Wisconsin. That is an oops that I can live without.
Here is one link to the latest story I could find.http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/ ... 97125.html

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
jenkins said:
Seems I heard that the Feds/we are subsidizing ethanol and/or corn production. Anybody set me straight on that?
And...........Like that would be any NEW news.???????????? The Feds subsidize just about everything if there is a big enough lobby...!!!! That is why our deficit is now approaching sixteen trillion..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....!!!!!! Don't you think that we should form a Burgman lobby..????? I am just about 100% sure that we could get some federal money for reducing our "CARBON FOOTPRINT"........!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Can we round up ALL ethanol-related threads and just put them into ONE forum for "fuel discussions"? This subject comes up time and TIME again and gets beat and discussed and argued to death, ad nauseum. The ethanol in the fuel is not "BAD" for your Burgman or automobile engine. ALL engines since the late 90's have been required to be able to utilize at least 10% (E10) fuel, as it has been required to add ethanol to fuels since that time. "Pure" gasoline is getting 'harder to find", and the fact that you are using a 10% blend is nearly imperceptible. It is certainly better than having the fuel cut with MTBE ("ether"). Adding ethanol to gasoline in lower percentages, such as 10 percent ethanol and 90 percent gasoline (E10), reduces carbon monoxide emissions from the gasoline and improves fuel octane. You are only losing 25% of the available BTU content (by volume) on 1/10 of your fuel volume. I have a BS in aeronautical engineering and part of that includes thermodynamics. When you combine the ethanol AND cold weather, though, you will notice a slight dip in economy.

All arguments PRO or CON for the ethanol industry aside, I am a proponent and advocate of isobutanol, which is next logical step past basic ethanol production. Isobutanol can be utilized in existing internal combustion engines without any modification as it's key advantage is that it is nearly identical to gasoline for combustion engines.

http://www.startribune.com/business/159 ... ml?refer=y

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobutanol

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Well, like the DarkSide argument, I can say that if you have not 'tried' and used the 15% blend of gas an ethanol, don't knock it, whether or NOT "Suzuki" says you can't. I have made my own BLEND of E15 using ethanol I obtained at Lowes or Home Depot. To do it myself, though, is sort of expensive as the ethanol runs about $4+ a quart. But I documented my experiment here and I have since repeated the experiment for several tanks of fuel on several occasions with no ill effects at all. And the interesting thing is that the MILEGAGE did NOT decrease at all. I'm sure Suzuki would emphatically say "NO" to installing a car tire on a 650 as well. I am now in Columbus OH an expect to try a repeat experiment when the weather turns cooler here this fall. The bike did not 'refuse' to start. The valves did not blow out of the head, the engine did not spontaneously detonate. E15 works FINE and I would BUY and use it every fill up if I could find it around here at a decent price.

·
Registered
486 Posts
jenkins said:
Ethanol COSTS about $12 a gallon to produce.

Certain Really Smart People think it's a good idea to use ethanol in gas. So they take tax money out of your paycheck and mine to cover most of that cost over and above the cost of gasoline.

It's to "save oil" and "clean the air." Notice the difference? Been five years now...the only thing I notice is an exploding Federal Budget Deficit.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
One thing Ethanol is good for is cleaning the engine internals. In mixes of up to 10% it's wonderful and you won't need to use a fuel system injector/valve cleaner. In amounts above 10% it can burn the valves and cylinder head seats over higher mileages. How much damage you experience will depend on the sort of riding you do. Some riders won't experience any damage but higher speed riders over big distances may experience more damage. That's one of the reasons Suzuki and other manufacturers don't recommend using it. Other reasons are related to corrosion and damage to the engines oil seals and gaskets. Have I seen this sort of damage. Yes I have. My company researched it and actually took down motors after testing them with higher ethanol blends.

·
Premium Member
8,136 Posts
well with the failure of the corn crop maybe the ethanol question will become a "moo"T point as more corn is needed for cattle feed etc and stuff, and sweet corn not being affected by the drought being grown in a different area and not being used in ethanol . We can only hope

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
V8eyedoc wrote: Sorry to disagree with you...........BUT - 99% of our ethanol comes from corn and with this Summer's draught in the middle od our country - very little corn!!!
Agree there V8. Guess maybe I didn't word my reply correctly. Meant to add onto WeeWilly's last sentence that "pure gas" was not only better fuel, more efficient but also cheaper to produce.

As far as I'm concerned, this is just another government "feel good" experiment gone terribly wrong with consumers and tax payers footing the added expense.

·
Registered
661 Posts
For those of you here in the northwest, have you noticed that Union 76 stations
sell their gas with NO ethanol? Been buying from them the last few months.
Jim

·
Registered
71 Posts
jenkins said:
Not any more (which may account for some of the price increase): Tax Credit on Ethanol Production Ends from Jan. 2012 NY Times.

At the same time, a tariff on imported ethanol also ended so it now costs US producers more to make it but it costs US refiners less to buy it from overseas . :?

·
Registered
154 Posts
jenkins said:
For those of you here in the northwest, have you noticed that Union 76 stations
sell their gas with NO ethanol? Been buying from them the last few months.
Jim
I've noticed a few stations on the East Side that promote "Ethanol Free".

late,
Coz

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are several stations in my hometown that claim to sale pure gas. However they charge about 15 cents more per gal for the pure gas, which should cost less. I don't think there is any problem with us burning gas with 10% ethonol as long as you don't leave it in the tank longer than 30 days without Startron or marine Stabil or some other treatment additive. If you do it will damage the engine. This is very important to us who have boats where the gas gets stored much longer during off season.
Tom

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
It's to "save oil" and "clean the air." Notice the difference? Been five years now...the only thing I notice is an exploding Federal Budget Deficit.
That "reason" is a load of bullfeathers. It's farm lobby campaign donations and the fact that winning the Iowa caucuses -- that come even before the NH primary -- is considered critical to winning each party's presidential nomination. Not many, or at least not enough Senators and Representatives are willing to do something that guarantees that they can never run for President. Voting to end farm subsidies, any farm subsidy, is such a guarantee.

And I swore I wouldn't talk about politics after the election...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts