Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any device I can buy so that I can split my ethernet cable into two cables and then hook each up to its own computer so that I am connected to the internet on both computers or do I have to run another cable from my router ( which is in my daughters room) into the second computer?

·
Premium Member
8,125 Posts
since you will be using a second router and paying for a second account with the second router, the isp will probably be able to provide you a splitter cable, and will wire your house for the location of the second router, or you can upgrade from dialup get, a wireless router and run 2 computers, printers the toaster and a dog walker without cords, but you will have to buy the dog separately

·
Registered
314 Posts
Provided you only wish to run at 100Mbps not 1000 which should only be the case for using an internet connection. You can take two pairs of the 4 pairs and wire a second RJ-45 on each end of the cable. I used to do this all the time when people had one cable/port in a wall and simply didn't want to run a second wire through the walls since it is so much trouble to fish the cable.

I believe it was pins 1,2,3,6 are used and the others are not in 10/100 connections. I have successfully done this hundreds of times, although if your cable length gets too long you could potentially get crosstalk. Anything under 150ft should be no problem.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I bought a wireless router and it connects everything together. I spent about $15 or so and got a wireless adapter for my desktop and it has worked fine for years with my cheap router I paid under $20 for.. A wireless printer is the handiest thing. I can print from all three of my computers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts