Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to avoid using ethanol in my bike (and other vehicles). At some gas stations, there wil be a sticker or some other notice stating the gas from these pumps contains ethanol, and tell the percentage. Other gas stations have no such notice that i can find. Am I safe in assuming that if there is no ethanol notice at the pump, the gasoline is ethanol free?

·
Registered
739 Posts
NO idea what year yourbike is. butitis fine with my 2012 touse gas with Ethanol.. better mileage without iot.. but no big deal to use it.. no idea why people make such a big deal about it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
There are some problems with ethanol in gas but some people do go berserk to avoid it. On a modern ride that is used regularly it shouldn't be much of an issue. Older vehicles and ones not used regularly are a different story.

To the OP - by law all gas is suppose to have 10% but they allowed an exemption because it was very bad for some older vehicles. The pumps are suppose to be labeled, both ways. If there is some doubt then ask the gas station management. BTW ethanol free gas should cost more and possibly a lot more, if it is the same price as the other places then it most likely has ethanol.

·
Registered
753 Posts
There are at least three stations here in the town that I live in that sell ethanol free. Two of them sell 87,89, and 91 octane that is all the corn free stuff. Same prices as the ethanol that other stations sell too.

And I would like to say that my bikes all run better on the corn free mix but in truth, I cannot tell any difference in how the Burgman or my other three bikes run with the stuff. As a matter of fact, the best gas mileage that I ever gotten with my Goldwing was with ethanol laced gas. Go figure.

Because I think my bike is better off to run without corn that is what I try to put in it but I know that I can't tell any difference. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have two older bikes, a farm tractor, lawn mower, trimmer, chain saw and gas generator that all have carbs, and are subject to sitting unused for weeks (or more) at a time. Ethanol can be problematic in those machines, so I use pure gas that I can, thankfully, get in my town. On a regularly used Burgman, ethanol should be just fine.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
There are at least three stations here in the town that I live in that sell ethanol free. Same prices as the ethanol that other stations sell too.
Lucky you! Here in Roswell there is only one place that I know of that has ethanol free and it is a bit higher. I have heard of some places selling it for 10-20% more.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm sort of like jimshorts in his post above, my stuff that isn't used regularly, I try to fill with ethanol free for those things. Otherwise, it's whatever I can find the cheapest.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Lucky you! Here in Roswell there is only one place that I know of that has ethanol free and it is a bit higher. I have heard of some places selling it for 10-20% more.
I think that it was simply because there was a mom and pop station that was advertising that their gas was ethanol free (regular and premium) and they really started getting a lot of business. They did charge about a nickel more a gallon but everyone was glad to pay. Then another station got smart and offered three grades of corn free for the same prices that the major stations (Chevron, Shell, BP, Exxon, etc) were charging for the 10% corn stuff and suddenly that place started getting swamped.

Supply and demand I suppose. Get more people that want it and I think that more people will supply it.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Living in California we don't have any option of no ethanol gas.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Living in California we don't have any option of no ethanol gas.
On vacation in South Dakota three weeks ago I did have the option. Filled with non ethanol gas. Did see a couple of MPG of improvement over the four tanks of gas I used.

·
Registered
677 Posts
We have a few ethanol-free stations around here, and yes, it is substantially more expensive. I buy it anyway, for the bike (not for the cage, as I am a cheap0.)

The petrol purveyor would want to tell you about it, because it does cost more. OTOH the ethanol sticker, if it accidentally falls off, so what?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts