Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a mechanical reason to avoid using the 400 for short errands?

·
Registered
69 Posts
No, there is never a good reason not to get on the Burg and go for a ride. 8)

Unless you count hail or snow or thunderstorms...

There are days when I go on a "short" errand and put a good 100+ miles on the scoot. Those are the best kind of short errands, normally they involve twisties and mountains and big :D

But no mechanical reason I can think of...

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Nope...

Nope...the 400 is PERFECT for errands and running around town. Some of our crew regularly hit the ice cream stands on theirs! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
not unless it's broke.

what the hell kinda question is that bob?

sheesh :D

PEET!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I guess what he is getting at is that I have always heard that in an automobile short trips are a lot harder on the wear and tear of the vehicle than long trips.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pete said:
not unless it's broke.

what the hell kinda question is that bob?

sheesh :D

PEET!
Did it not meet your criteria of what a question should be Pete? Well, ain't that a bitch?!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chief_O. said:
I guess what he is getting at is that I have always heard that in an automobile short trips are a lot harder on the wear and tear of the vehicle than long trips.
Exactly right!

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
notice the previous smiley face bob. the smiley face - :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Many short trips adding up to a given mileage will put more wear on the engine than a single ride of the same distance. When sitting parked, some of the oil that normally coats parts will drain down under the influence of gravity, and for a brief moment when first starting a cold engine there will be a little more friction.

Also, repeated use of the starter will wear it out eventually; so the more starts in a given time the sooner it will wear out.

Etc.

But do you want your Burgman to last forever? It's summer! They were meant to be ridden hard and put away wet! **** the consequences, full speed ahead!

:D

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If the errand is to next door in an apartment complex, then getting on anything bigger than in-line skates is overkill.

If you can just walk there quicker than the time it would take to gear up and get on the skooter, then riding the skooter is overkill.

Ride anyway. We all know you're only looking for excuses to take he Burgman out. Just do it. You don't need an excuse. :wink:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
In normal operating temps, I'd think anything over a mile or so one way would be fine. The potential fuel savings using your 400 cc scooter vs you 400 CID SUV (or whatever your cage is) will possibly offset the marginal extra wear and tear on the scooter. Plus you'd be saving miles on your car or truck.
Ride that sucker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts