Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After just a week with the stock screen, was glad to see the UPS fellow this afternoon.
Ordered a new ERMAX sport screen.
Watched the youtube video to get some pointers.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eA3wcz0ILk

Then installed my ERMAX screen.
Toughest part was getting the 6 rubber grommets out -- and back in!
But the Burgman made the rest easy.
I measured the stock screen at 56" to the pavement when on the center stand....and the ERMAX measured 50.5".
Photos are with camera and scooter not moved. Before & after.
The screen was shipped quickly and was very well packed from MotoMachine.
Stig

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Damnn nice looking screen, but how's the wind protection?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Damnn nice looking screen, but how's the wind protection?

Well.....ANYthing is gonna be better than that stock screen. Good Heavens that is a poor design for a person my height. 6'3". Never felt anything like that on any 2-wheeler!
But, seriously....I put thousands of miles on my red Forza with the stock (shorty ) screen and never had an issue. I don't ride freeways - and the short screen on this Burgman is an experiment. I really do not like big screens - for lots of reasons.
Taking it for a couple hour ride at sunrise tomorrow to my coffee village- and will report back.
Stig

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its a nice looking screen. I like the stock screen just fine but I am 6' tall. The sport screen would seem ok in warm and dry weather but maybe not so in cold and wet.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, varying the throttle for 40 miles, under 5000rpm, couple of stops to cool it down, no WOTs, launching at 4000 so as not to glaze clutch ( learned not to baby it off the line on my other two scoots)....have to do this at sunrise so as not to get run over...wish I had one of those "Running-In" signs to display at the rear! :)
Certainly do like this sport/ short Ermax screen! Makes my Burgman feel just like my Forza...only not as smooth :)
I ride 365 to work and weekends...just layer up to deal with Ohio winters, as long as roads clear of snow/ice. Temps no issue!
If I was going across the continent I'd likely look at a big touring screen...but like the no-screen feel and look on my scooters.
Ride safe, Stig

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good looking screen. I put the Ermax on my 650 as I do not like big screens either. With the adjustment it gets high enough for wet weather and the wind hits nicely on the visor, keeping it clear. The black screens certainly change the look of the scoot particularly with panniers, top box and side wind deflectors, looks a beast.:p

·
Registered
244 Posts
I know you didn't try it, but you may prefer no screen at all. Face and hand protection seem to be not important to you. I like a larger shield to block empty beer cans, cigarette butts, and other stuff coming my way. I wear a half helmet, don't want a full face which you probably use for face protection.
Your scoot looks to be a gray color. Is it new old stock?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wear a full face modular Nolan helmet for head protection. No screen would look goofy to me and would leave panels gapped and flapping. Scoot was designed to have some kind of screen....unfortunately.... for tall Gringos like me..those riders are in the smaller Asian size. A few bazillion of us two wheel riders are not behind those monster plastic screens....by choice, and we survive just fine. ATGATTing along for safety.
Yep, nos '13.
Stig

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also mounted the Ermax sport screen yesterday and felt it like an improvement vs the stock screen. I'm 5'11'' / 210 lbs and just on the border to short to get the real advantage that Stig claims. But the important thing is that now the buffeting has disappeared and is replaced by a more steady or laminar wind flow around the helmet. There is slightly higher pressure on the shoulders, which was expected, but since you sit so well on the burg it is really not a problem.

As a side effect, the burg feels more "agile" with the sport screen, pure psychological but somehow it feels easier throw it around when not having the the larger stock screen. The sport screen is a keeper. Agree with Stig that mounting the rubber grommets was the only hard part, so for reference this is what I did:

1. Removed the grommets from the burg by pressing them in with a screwdriver
2. Mounted the grommets on the Ermax screen (fiddling and pressing with a screwdriver)
3. Inserted the screws in the grommets, a couple of turns
4. Put some detergent on the grommets to make them a little slippery and put the screen in place and pushed in the grommets with the screwdriver

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, absolutely, what is it with that buffetting of the stock screen?
Never felt anything like it on two wheels. Kicked in at anything above 25mph on me. Bizarre. Maybe if I was sitting closer to the screen...but at my height I'm using the rear most backrest position...and was getting beat up by that stock screen. A pretty thing, but hard to live with. Knew a girl like that once..
Keeping my short Ermax. ,1500 miles to date, unless something else comes along.
Your install tips will help!
Stig

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No idea....didn't ride any distance at speed (couldn't) with the stock big screen.
I did some testing with my right hand at speed on a straight country road....and noted that the 'shoulders' of the Ermax screen toss the wind just above my shoulders. Center of screen throws it just above my helmet. There is a circulating termoil of air in front of my stomach....but then I am sitting as far back as the adjustable backrest will permit. It is not 'all quiet' behind this short sport screen - but certainly not abusive like I found the stock screen to be..
Just not a C.H.P. type of scooter rider....with those tall screens, but then I'm not spending all day on a LA freeway chasing young ladies speeding & texting...
I do ride all winter here in Ohio with no big screens on my scooters (stock short screen on the Forza, no screen on the Kymco) ....have just learned to layer-up and use my battery gloves. So, not your typical sane scooterista!
Stig

·
Registered
4 Posts
What I would really like is a windscreen like this. It is not available for the burgman, this is for a T-MAX. But I had a similar one for my earlier Honda PCX150 and it was really superior to both the stock screen and a high Ermax. The basic premise of this type of screens is that they to a higher degree throws the wind to the sides than upwards. Think this is ingenious.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good looking screen. I put the Ermax on my 650 as I do not like big screens either. With the adjustment it gets high enough for wet weather and the wind hits nicely on the visor, keeping it clear. The black screens certainly change the look of the scoot particularly with panniers, top box and side wind deflectors, looks a beast.:p
How is it compare to stock? I like the short screen for my Burgman 650 too. Does is ok for highway ride? It is create turbulence to make your helmet shake?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Its a nice looking screen. I like the stock screen just fine but I am 6' tall. The sport screen would seem ok in warm and dry weather but maybe not so in cold and wet.
same here. the only thing I dont like about the stock shield is the shaking at the top tips. other then that, its great IMHO.

they look nice those black short ones. good for summer. not good for winter rain/wind. I can easily tuck in the stock oem for more rain protection

6' here as well.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
What about cutting the stock screen down to 50.5 inches?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts