Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Having run ethanol-blend gas for going on fifteen years now, I have to report a grand total of ZERO problems. I honestly do not see the big deal.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There are a number of issues to me. Ethanol is hard on rubber parts within the fueling system, although manufactures have for the most part rectified that issue ( still a problem for my older scoots though). It does not have the BTU per pound that straight gasoline has so to get the same performance you must use more fuel and the pretext for using ethanol was to reduce our carbon footprint. Well that's totally bogus as the manufacturing of corn ethanol produces more CO2 than what we would have produced if we had just continued to run straight gasoline.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I really didn't need an EPA study to figure out that ethanol isn't good for engines. It seems like I have my own test lab down in my basement. Every time I go to use a chain saw. edger, weed eater, tiller, or anything else I have that isn't used frequently, the carburetor will be clogged up and I'll have to take it apart and clean or rebuild it to get it running. I happened last weekend with a pole saw I use two or three times a year.

Ethanol alcohol is water soluble and can attract and absorb water. Ethanol alcohol can dissolve plastic, rubber, fiberglass and even aluminum over time. All of that is bad news for engines in general and certainly for Burgman engines.

As greginnm points out in the post above, it doesn't provide the same energy as pure gasoline, so, your engine requires more fuel to do the same thing pure gasoline does.

I try to get pure gasoline when I can, particularly for gasoline powered engines that aren't used frequently. Somehow, I don't seem to be very good at adding Seafoam or other additives when I should.

·
Administrator
20,112 Posts
DaveJ Acknowledges Ethanol Damages his head

^^^^ Ethanol is soo bad. Why do I keep putting in my body? :twisted:

If and only IF your complete fuel system is built for it and the engine is tuned just for it, it is not so bad. My son built his 68 Dodge Dart 270's 318/5.2L hybred just for E-85 and it goes like stink on a skunk. ;) But 12.5 compression ratio and big carb jets are needed and gas mileage sucks. Go figure

·
Super Moderator
18,085 Posts
Known that for years. I have a 5 gal and 2-2gal gas cans filled with real gas, just for my equipment. For those that can't get real gas, there are additives out there that negate the effects of ethanol.

This link may help.
http://www.buyrealgas.com/#

·
Registered
297 Posts
Don't forget that the EPA is a GOVERNMENT agency . . . no intelligence assumed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't like some of the politics driving this. Corn that would be better-used for basic food products was mandated-use for ethanol, driving up the price of staples such as tortillas. And that's aside from my love for classic vehicles that are agreed to be damaged by high ethanol blends. As a government mandate, it was ill conceived from start to finish

·
Registered
438 Posts
Last year we logged our mileage. Running 87 octane mixed gas, our mileage was 12% less than when running premium, 93 octane pure gas. Doing the math, high-octane gas is actually cheaper to run.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Here in Europe, the professionals use special alkylate gasoline for chain saws and other hand-held devices with combustion engines, both 2- and 4-stroke.

It is healthier for the operator, who inhales the exhaust fumes while working, it has much better shelf life and doesn't gum up the fuel system during long periods of non-operation.

http://www.aspenfuel.co.uk/clean-facts/aspen-v-premium-unleaded/

I really didn't need an EPA study to figure out that ethanol isn't good for engines. It seems like I have my own test lab down in my basement. Every time I go to use a chain saw. edger, weed eater, tiller, or anything else I have that isn't used frequently, the carburetor will be clogged up and I'll have to take it apart and clean or rebuild it to get it running. I happened last weekend with a pole saw I use two or three times a year.

Ethanol alcohol is water soluble and can attract and absorb water. Ethanol alcohol can dissolve plastic, rubber, fiberglass and even aluminum over time. All of that is bad news for engines in general and certainly for Burgman engines.

As greginnm points out in the post above, it doesn't provide the same energy as pure gasoline, so, your engine requires more fuel to do the same thing pure gasoline does.

I try to get pure gasoline when I can, particularly for gasoline powered engines that aren't used frequently. Somehow, I don't seem to be very good at adding Seafoam or other additives when I should.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Do not know about USA or elsewhere but here Shell V-Power premium 91 octane have no ethanol, this only gasoline without ethanol commercially available just about everywhere, otherwise must go to marina, airport or other special location or purchase gas in can such as Aspen. Use about 80 litre per year of Shell V-Power 91 in small 2 & 4 stroke engine without carb / fuel system problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Last year we logged our mileage. Running 87 octane mixed gas, our mileage was 12% less than when running premium, 93 octane pure gas. Doing the math, high-octane gas is actually cheaper to run.

Regards
Scott Fraser
It's interesting that you've done the math on this. I might of guessed that this might be the outcome comparing to pure gasoline, but it's nice that you've done the study for us.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I run premium fuels in all my bikes and power equipment, that being said I hate Ethanol and hope that someday the EPA will wakeup to what they are doing. I'm somewhat a Green person, but not to the point that causes havoc to so many gas powered engines that we all are forced into added expenses and repairs. I have to add StaBil and StaBil Ethanol treatments to my fuels just to keep my gas powered engines running and to cut down on carburetor repairs. This has also affected my buying choices, if it's not Fuel Injected I don't want it.

John

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
E10 has consumed the fuel lines on both of my 2 stroke engines in yard care equipment, weed eater and blower, several times over the past 5 years. I recently started using the fuel conditioner for ethanol from STABIL.
I also switched to "real" gasoline in my pickup, 89 octane Mid-grade. My gas mileage was 12-13 mpg with E10, real gas it is up to 15-16 mpg and I don't usually tread lightly on the gas pedal. I also have switched to real gas for all my small engines including the scoot.
Ride safe!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Suburban 245,000 mile 89 octane... You boys all need to get away from those anti government propaganda sites! Lmao

·
Super Moderator
18,085 Posts
A suburban is a bit different than lawn equipment, unless it has less than 20 hp.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Let's see. Suburban is probably fuel injected, designed to take 10 percent ethanol and not a small engine. Octane has nothing to do with the OP's thread. It is the EPA (the GOVERNMENT) that is finally copping to the truth that many of us have been yelling about for years! "Anti government propaganda sites"!!???
Really???
Jim

·
Registered
137 Posts
There are two choices at work here. You spend $30 for a carb rebuild kit, or your scumbag politician pockets $15,000 from the ethanol lobby and $25,000 from the corn lobby. You spend $30 or he gets $40,000. Hmmm. What to do. What to do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts