Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My EOS mounts arrived via the mail man today. They were inclosed in a cardboard box. Were loose in the box with plastic shopping bags around the mounts themselves (looked like the vendor went shopping and dropped each one into a plastic bag. The bolts and sundry were well wrapped in plastic. The instructions were printed on the back of the enclosed shipping invoice. I will take pictures as my install goes along in hopes that it will help someone down the road. So, we will see how difficult this is.

Oh, the mounts were ordered on Ebay on 6/9/13 and were received on 6/28/13. Not too bad for something coming from Slovenia to Kentucky.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I would have thought you would have them fitted by now. ;-)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Oh, the mounts were ordered on Ebay on 6/9/13 and were received on 6/28/13. Not too bad for something coming from Slovenia to Kentucky.
eBay lists the shipping location as "Item location: Spielfeld, Austria", close enough to Solvenia, lol.

I wanna see some photos and what's your impression of them.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have thought you would have them fitted by now. ;-)
Hey...

It took me four hours to figure them out and get them mounted. I am a little slow. If I had to do it again I probably could get them mounted in two.

What can I say? I have been looking forward to getting my E41's off of my V-Strom and on my Burgman.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eBay lists the shipping location as "Item location: Spielfeld, Austria", close enough to Solvenia, lol.

I wanna see some photos and what's your impression of them.
Actually they box they came in was postmarked from Slovenia. I thought that interesting too. As to my impression of them (I haven't ridden with them yet), there is a lot more flex than I expected from them. The word "flimsy" comes to mind. Kiwi Dave may very well be right when he told me that they won't hold up. <shrug> I guess time will tell. I need to see how they ride now and will get back to all of you when I see.

I have some pictures, I just need to move them from my camera to SmugMug and put them here. I will get them up in the next day or two.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
rutraw

Actually they box they came in was postmarked from Slovenia. I thought that interesting too. As to my impression of them (I haven't ridden with them yet), there is a lot more flex than I expected from them. The word "flimsy" comes to mind. Kiwi Dave may very well be right when he told me that they won't hold up. <shrug> I guess time will tell. I need to see how they ride now and will get back to all of you when I see.

I have some pictures, I just need to move them from my camera to SmugMug and put them here. I will get them up in the next day or two.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky
I'm surprised on the flimsy , I read the feedback on them and every one was happy with them . None of them said a word about flimsy .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm surprised on the flimsy , I read the feedback on them and every one was happy with them . None of them said a word about flimsy .

TheReaper!
It may be just me, there is a lot of flex with my Givi E41's on there but they are really big boxes. I have been used to Givi mounts on my V-Strom. They are rock solid on that bike with no flex or movement at all. I guess the proof to the pudding so to speak is how they do over time with the bike being ridden. I promise to get back to all of you over from time to time for the next several months.

I do reserve the right to change my mind. The flexing of the mounts with cases mounted may be nothing more than that - flex. I don't know.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Oh I'm also curious how the fuel door clearance is. Can you open the fuel door without it hitting the latch tang on the mount?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I'm also curious how the fuel door clearance is. Can you open the fuel door without it hitting the latch tang on the mount?
No problems there with the fuel door on my bike.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Doug, you may want to keep an eye on the brass bushings in the passenger grab rails. I have always been concerned about the saddlebag mounts that attach to the bungee mount holes in the passenger grab rails and only the side panel plastic. I have partially pulled out the brass bushings inside the rails on several bikes. My "new to me" 2011 is missing one bushing on the right grab rail and the other one is partially pulled out. I do not know how it happen, but I am curious. The bike has had two previous owners.

I must confess, I have been concerned this issue on other mounts like the EOS mounts and have posted about it in the past. However, to date, I have not heard anyone say it has happened to them. So, maybe it is I am overly cautious.

If I decide to get a set of the EOS mounts I plan on using the smaller E21 bags and drilling the passenger hand rails so I can place a screw thru the rails so I will not have to relay on the bushings.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is one reason I like the Fehling racks from Germany, they attach to 4 points - the two brass bushings in the grab rails, the floor boards and the rear frame / fender mount point. I just feel more secure with the two up two down mount points. I know on my 650 they are rock solid, same as my givi racks on my old ride.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I wonder if it is worth pulling out those bushes and reinserting them after using a dollop of epoxy?

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Doug, you may want to keep an eye on the brass bushings in the passenger grab rails. I have always been concerned about the saddlebag mounts that attach to the bungee mount holes in the passenger grab rails and only the side panel plastic. I have partially pulled out the brass bushings inside the rails on several bikes...
You should not have any problems with a properly installed bushings on the passenger handlebar as you can see in the attached picture.

Something happened to them. You can take them out, and reinsall them using very strong epoxy and you should be good to go. I have the same concerns but after a few years of running side cases, I have not seen any signs of them coming loose.

I guess I can't add any more attachments as it says that I am over the limit all of a sudden? have the quotas changed?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I have always been concerned about the saddlebag mounts that attach to the bungee mount holes in the passenger grab rails and only the side panel plastic. I have partially pulled out the brass bushings inside the rails on several bikes. My "new to me" 2011 is missing one bushing on the right grab rail and the other one is partially pulled out. I do not know how it happen, but I am curious. The bike has had two previous owners.
I wonder if it is worth pulling out those bushes and reinserting them after using a dollop of epoxy?
Sounds like the previous owner did something to them. Usually what happens is someone uses too long of a bolt in there, it bottoms out and as you crank down it forces the brass insert out. I would not recommend pulling perfectly good inserts out to epoxy them, only if they already have been pulled out but then I would be worried about it not holding. Those inserts are knurled on the outside and the plastic handle is molded with them in.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have done the first ride with the Givi E41 Keyless bags on the bike. Was out about 3 hours. They ride well on these brackets.

As to my statement about the brackets seeming flimsy. Seeing as to how they are made from 2 mil thick stainless steel, I think they will be okay. I will keep an eye on them for stress cracks but don't really expect any. I think I was just freaked out because they flexed where the Givi racks don't have any. The Givi racks are made from tubular steel where these are made from flat steel. Thus the flex with the flat steel ones and no flex with the tubular steel ones. If you have lots of money to spend on your racks, Twisted Throttle sells the Givi ones to fit our bikes. I think I am going to say I am happy with my EOS racks.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First two pics

Okay, I have the first set of pictures...

Here is a picture of what came in the box from EOS:

If you will notice in the picture above, the spools aren't on the brackets. Found them in the plastic wrap with the other hardware. It is nice that they are adjustable up and down via slots cut into the brackets. I don't know but some luggage might not need/want the spools at the same height as Givi does. Next is a picture of one of the racks after I put the spools on it. It shows the adjustability I just talked about. Also note the discoloration and scratches. They came this way from EOS. I messed with the light so that they stood out a bit more to show all of you, they don't look as bad in direct sunlight.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pics 3 and 4

Next is a pic of the instruction sheet. Sorry, I should have used my tripod to shoot this close to what I am taking a picture of. I didn't bother retaking the pic after I saw it was a little blurry as you can get an idea of how poor the instructions are. But the racks are pretty easy to figure out on your own. This instruction is printed on the reverse side of your invoice that is packaged inside the box.

The next picture is to show how the spool mounts onto the rack. A flat headed screw (uses a 4mm hex I think) goes through the spool, then through the rack, followed by a flat washer and a nylock nut.

There will be more pictures to come...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is a picture of the rear reflector and it's bracket. I couldn't figure out a way to mount these racks with it in place. It is held on by a single bolt. Uses a #2 phillips head screw driver to remove them. Note that there is a nut and a flat washer on the other end of that bolt/screw. Not much room up there for my hands and I have pretty small hands. I used this hole to mount the bottom of my brackets to, you may have to remove some of the rear tupperware to get your hand in here if you have large hands.

The next picture if of the bottom of the bracket after I mounted it. Note that you will have to leave this bolt loose until you have the two tops bolts in. For me, it was the first bolt to tighten all the way after all the bolts were in. On reflection, the hole in the bracket fell pretty close to the fender screw where the fender mounts under the body. This could possibly be where the vendor means for you to bolt this bracket on the bottom.

Here is the rear top bolt where it bolts into the bottom of the passenger grab rail. See image 14 in this thread if you need to see the bottom of the grab rail and where Suzuki put threaded holes in the grab rail. Remember, leave all bolts loose. Also, if I ever have to take these brackets off for any reason, I will cut one of my 5mm hex keys down so that both ends of the key is the same length. It took me 30 minutes to screw this bolt down after I got to tightening the bolts. No room for the key to swing on this bolt. A cut down hex key would make tightening this bolt a piece of cake.

Next the last bolt...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And a picture of the front bolt just to make sure you have a picture of each bolt in place. If this picture confuses you, I had the seat in the raised position when I took the pictures up to now. That is what you see above the grab rail.

A picture of the rack mounted and the bolts tightened. I am not sure you can see in the pictures but the top parts of the rack will twist some as you tighten the bolts. Tighten the bottom bolt first, the front bolt next and the rear bolt last. That seemed to work best for me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts