Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the better part of 3yrs I had been '2 hand starting' vs key turn first, until this summer when my 2003 liked showing an FI light (and code 42) and not starting (*though the starter still worked). The frequency began growing, but a key cycle or two would return to normal and off we go.
More recently the same became a thing OTR, stalling while riding. No bueno!! In studying the s/m data, especially diagrams, the ECM or its single IG input was suspect, and nothing else since the STARTER always worked, theoretically ruling out the IG switch (on the published trouble list) since the starter button is after all the rest including safetycrat stuff (switches and relays).
03/04 definitely use the hard to find 15G10 module, as the connector is different for 05/06 (15GB0) whether or not anything else is. There's no HO2S on any of them to my knowledge so WTH Suzuki :p? While it would bite to spend big $ on the NLA part (Japan has some), I need her EVERY DAY, so sitting tupperless and poking more than I have (1 day off/week) is not feasible. I'd like to know what goes where from IG switch btw. Thanks for any ideas!

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle
Font Material property Pattern Number Parallel
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Engineering
Font Parallel Motor vehicle Document Paper
Font Rectangle Parallel Slope Engineering

Registered
the ignition switch input to the ECM should be the Orange w/Yellow tracer wire coming from the ignition switch to the ECM. see the full wiring diagrams on pages 9-33 and 9-34 of the service manual. also see the FI system diagram on page 4-13.

can't find a full pinout of the ECM connector in the pre 07 manual like the 07 up manual has. 馃槙

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
the ignition switch input to the ECM should be the Orange w/Yellow tracer wire coming from the ignition switch to the ECM. see the full wiring diagrams on pages 9-33 and 9-34 of the service manual. also see the FI system diagram on page 4-13.

can't find a full pinout of the ECM connector in the pre 07 manual like the 07 up manual has. 馃槙
Thx JR!! Of course the schematics are NOT in electrics chapter omg. The drawings for functionality, wiring for trouble shooting are imperative. So I see O/W from 'kill' to IG coil and ECM, W from coil to ECM (pulser), and common ground via B/W from IG switch to O/Y at ECM. This points me more at IG switch though today a kill cycle got it started (yesterday no fails lol). Code is ALWAYS Mr 42, but perhaps it could be any of the 3 leads above. 20yrs but only 16K...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Holy schnikies no one did the IG switch recall on this old girl in 17 years, lazy lazy. So I'll be looking for a source for those parts: the switch base/terminal case assembly. "Unstable contact (possible arcing) and stalling". Sounds all too familiar. Suzuki recall #2082, campaign 05V-372.

Registered
Holy schnikies no one did the IG switch recall on this old girl in 17 years, lazy lazy. So I'll be looking for a source for those parts: the switch base/terminal case assembly. "Unstable contact (possible arcing) and stalling". Sounds all too familiar. Suzuki recall #2082, campaign 05V-372.
I just done the IG on my 06.Got my switch from Ron Ayers.Gave them the part number,about a 45 min drive to their shop,they had it in about 3 days.A little lest than $50,tax included.If you need the part number, I can give it to you.

Administrator
Good thing Suzuki pulled their collective heads out of their backsides on the 2002-2012 Burgman 400 and 650 and used the same Ignition switch.

Ebay's "Louis Online" has one for $46.67 plus $16.99 shipping. The $16.99 shipping is a BIG ripoff as the box is about 4 inch square and maybe 1/2 pound weight.

Check your local dealer for Part number 99103-11199

• Helpful
Reactions: JRoss

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Found and visited a dealer today, confirming (again) repair not completed by VIN. They don't work on bikes "that old" (21st century?!) but demanded an appointment (would not just order and surrender the kit). BUT as it's available, I ordered this one today on zilla since I'm strictly DIY and will be there for forks. Thank God and happy b-day Junior (Jesus) since all ~5800 affected units didn't survive to deplete the stock. Merry C-mas burgers!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found and visited a dealer today, confirming (again) repair not completed by VIN. They don't work on bikes "that old" (21st century?!) but demanded an appointment (would not just order and surrender the kit). BUT as it's available, I ordered this one today on zilla since I'm strictly DIY and will be there for forks. Thank God and happy b-day Junior (Jesus) since all ~5800 affected units didn't survive to deplete the stock. Merry C-mas burgers!!!
Update: It's either an AMAZING coincidence or divine confirmation of the problem area, as since I pulled and slotted the IG switch cover plate screws while doing bucket listed fork work (cylinder hole upsizing) on Sunday, it has NOT CODED once; a little disturbance was a very good thing lol. Now if I can beg Suzuki into $25 when finally replaced, I'll be a happy camper.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: It's either an AMAZING coincidence or divine confirmation of the problem area, as since I pulled and slotted the IG switch cover plate screws while doing bucket listed fork work (cylinder hole upsizing) on Sunday, it has NOT CODED once; a little disturbance was a very good thing lol. Now if I can beg Suzuki into $25 when finally replaced, I'll be a happy camper.
For the K3/4 curious, the procedure calls for marking the VIN on the frame to indicate completion, and the part has a black mark.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Font Automotive tire Car
Font Parallel Office equipment Motor vehicle Paper

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1/01/23 Please no jinx: it has not coded since, so 99+% confident in the switch case coming for the permanent fix. HAPPY NEW YEAR burgers!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
1/09: So it's done. Feels good. No failures. No luck on reimbursement (SMC in Brea, CA); stupid imo, but they won't even RECORD the completion. Decided against defeating 'park lamp' as it's more distinct/separate than the old Hondas that bite many ppl, and I very rarely use the steering lock. Thx Burgers, shiny up!!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Gas Rim

Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
MVTeach:

Congrats on restoring her to full health.

Do I take it my later 2006 AN400 has the same (potentially) failure prone ignition switch ?

I've noted no starting problems or intermittent ignition issues like you've had, so far at least.

Is everyone with an early Burgman 400 having issues - like is the advice to do this repair proactively, or just wait until issue crops up ?

It's good to know the part is affordable and STILL available.

Just wouldn't want it to interrupt a nice long road tour..... which I've done and plan to do more of !

TY - David

Administrator
MVTeach:

Do I take it my later 2006 AN400 has the same (potentially) failure prone ignition switch ?

I've noted no starting problems or intermittent ignition issues like you've had, so far at least.

Is everyone with an early Burgman 400 having issues - like is the advice to do this repair proactively, or just wait until issue crops up ?

Just wouldn't want it to interrupt a nice long road tour..... which I've done and plan to do more of !

TY - David
All power the bike uses go thru the ignition switch, yes even the headlights. That is way too much amperage across the thin copper/brass contacts. Suzuki should have run the headlights thru a relay.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MVTeach:

TY - David
No, just early 400 & 650. A small miracle to get the kit after 17yrs.
You can enter the VIN at Suzuki or NHTSA sites for any active campaigns.

Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
No, just early 400 & 650. A small miracle to get the kit after 17yrs.
You can enter the VIN at Suzuki or NHTSA sites for any active campaigns.
Yes a small miracle. Beggars cannot be choosy right ?
Sounds like the 2006 is NOT affected ?
Or you're saying it cut off at a certain VIN # so check to be sure ?

What Dave J said sounds like a 'WHAT ?!?' design flaw.

2nd Gen Dodge Ram Trucks (1994-02) have similar flaw: Headlamp switches that burn out regularly due to overmuch amp load !

Take Care & Ride safe,

David

1 - 17 of 17 Posts