Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have had a very frightening and frustrating problem happen to me today. As I was cruising back home on I-5 Northbound towards Seattle from Chehalis, a noise from underneath the seat where the engine startled me. It sounded like something was caught and made a sickening metal to metal grinding noise. I immediately activated my hazard lights and pulled over to the right side of the road. I shut the Burgman off and looked around it. The exhaust was venting out hot exhaust smoke. I was really scared. I thought maybe the engine was seized so I checked the oil level with the dipstick. The level was full, so I called my friend whose a skilled mechanic and he told me he suspects the timing chain snapped. Does anyone know how to fix this or is there a guide somewhere for taking the engine apart to see whats wrong?

I also agree that it's a snapped timing chain, but is there anything else that I should look for (e.i. bearings, valves)? Please help me, and I will update this thread as I make progress. First I have to take off all the plastic.

It cost me $263 to get it towed from Chehalis back to Seattle =(

I hope AllState reimburses some....

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Sorry you had a problem! Luckily you were able to get off the road without incident.

If you did break a timing chain then you need to check the head and piston for possible damage. Valves out of time can impact the piston which is never good. I once bought a Toyota Celica that had a busted chain and one piston was turning into a dozen aluminum fragments{luckily I bought it for body parts to fix another one}.

It is very possible that the damage is greater than the vehicle's value. But it might turn out that it is less serious and you can get it back up and running for a small amount. Only way to tell for sure is to tear the engine apart.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The scooter has 11,800 miles on it. It is definitely not the CVT belt that broke. I will inspect the engine and see if I can fix it. If the damage is greater than the bikes value, which I hope it isn't, I wonder what I should do

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Maybe the variator front pulley as come loose, never heard of a timing chain problem on one of these have you any maintenance on the tranny.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will pull everything apart and see. But I definitely doubt it came from the transmission. It really sounded like it came from the engine. Everything electrical works, headlights, instrument panel, a tail lights all work. the scooter turns over but will not start

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
First order of business would be to pull the valve cover off and look at the timing chain. That isn't a big job, same procedure used as when adjusting the valves.

If the chain has broken then as speedandstyle said there is a possibility you damaged a piston or valve in the cylinder head. Only way to find that out is to pull the cylinder head.

There is also a small possibility of damage to the sprocket on the crankshaft that drives the chain. To find that out you are going to have to pull the side code and a number of components behind it. Those will have to come off anyway to replace the chain. Looking at the manual that sprocket appears to be machined into the crankshaft so if there is damage you are looking at replacing the crankshaft. There are two sprockets side by side on the crankshaft. The other one drives the oil pump chain so you will also probably want to take a look at it for possible damage.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice, I found this video on YouTube and it describes my problem accurately. You can hear the loud chattering noise when the timing chain breaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh5v60K_36I

I am in the process of getting to the root of this problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Didn't that model require frequent valve adjustments and have they been done? Plenty of experts on here to help you (I am not one).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, valves were adjusted properly already. I almost have everything pulled off, all I need to do is see the inside.

One question, is it possible to replace the timing chain on the bike or does the engine need to be removed? Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I've never changed the chain on one but according to the service manual it can be done with the engine in the bike.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have good news and I have bad news.

The good news is, the valves and the timing chain are not damaged.

The bad news? The piston and connecting rods are damaged, leading to a catastrophic failure of moving parts. There are metal shards everywhere. I have to buy a new piston and connecting rod.... It sucks at only 11,800 miles that this happened to me. The guy who I bought it from must have ran out of oil and sold it because he knew it was a ticking time bomb.

I just took out the spark plug and it was chewed. There were metal shards everywhere inside the cylinder. I will be updating this thread, and will buy all of you who helped me drinks once I get this fixed.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Bummer.

Hope the crankshaft bearings are still OK.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correction: The outer Valves look good, but I still need to inspect the inside. I still have to remove the engine from the bike and remove the head. I'll do that tomorrow.

In the meantime, does anyone know where I can order a piston/connecting rod/other parts for a 2004 Burgman AN400? I tried looking on ebay but they don't seem to have one.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ouch! Sorry the damage is that bad.

Post some pics once you get it apart.

I don't know what kind of budget/skills/tools you have but if I had to pull the crankcase apart I would do a complete rebuild.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks.I wonder could it be caused by a faulty oil pump that is not properly distributing oil into the necessary places?

·
Registered
66 Posts
"It sucks at only 11,800 miles that this happened to me. The guy who I bought it from must have ran out of oil and sold it because he knew it was a ticking time bomb."

Hopefully not a forum member!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts