Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before I do something (else) stupid, I'm checkin in for advice, yesterday my engine temp showed 4 bars, normally 3, it happened close to home and it was after flag over the yardarm time so I parked it till this morning to cool before I checked some things.
1 , yesterdays temp was a little below 80 deg,
2. no indication of fluid leak this morning
3 fluid reservoir was just barely over the full line
So I started er up to see if it was still broke,
! ambient temp 65 to 70 degrees
2 ran it a few minutes in the barn to get it up to 3 bars
3 took it on a less than a mile ride (actually less than half mile) it went to 4 bars
back in the barn
1 checked hoses for temp
top hose from radiator to thermostat is warm
bottom hose from radiator to water pump is cold
2 fan is running at 3 bars, then goes off cyclically at 3 bars runs constantly at 4 bars
checked gage again 5 bars and flashing, so I shut it down to cool (and refill my coffee cup)
noticed the overflow level was a bit over full and watched it go back down to just barely over full
saw a thingy on the front of the radiator that loooks like plastic (without my glasses) and has a phillips screw cut in it. Hmm is this a way to drain the radiator? Yup if you undo the thang it lets water out , I just barely backed it out far enough to get water dripping,
Turned on key again, down to 2 bars,
checked thermostat hose , warm
checked pump hose , cool
Hmm, that screw thingy in the front, that dripping water was cold, but the radiator was hot at the top\
opened radiator to check level, full
opened little screw thingy, water coming out was cool at first, a couple cups I guess, then began steaming. Also noticed a leak?? on the hose from the radiator to the pump, just a bit of moisture, not enough to make a spot on the floor

So now I am thinkin water pump, it was dying yesterday, died completely this morning,
Before I start ordering parts What say ye the jury, water pump ? or is there something else (cheap) to try?

btw coolant is less than 1 year old

·
Premium Member
14,369 Posts
From your description it sounds like the water is not circulating. My guess would be stuck thermostat or failed water pump. Thermostat is the cheaper of the two and easy to test so I would check it first.

·
Premium Member
4,299 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From your description it sounds like the water is not circulating. My guess would be stuck thermostat or failed water pump. Thermostat is the cheaper of the two and easy to test so I would check it first.
so how to test without pulling it off the bike and breaking gaskets and causing leaks and using up my limited supply of bad words that I mihgt need if it's the pump, I know the boiling water trick, just don't know how to boil water,

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
If I were going to the trouble to remove the thermostat, I'd just replace it with a new one, might be worth a few adult words.

Or we could just trade places....shouldn't have any overheating problems with 20F ambient.

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The water pump is easy to check just three bolts I think buts it's pretty robust hard plastic impellor. Sometimes the seal fails but that only causes a bit of leakage not overheating. I agree with the bretheren check the stat first. The fan is working and sounds like the rad cap is as well.
Courtesy of Le Dude the main man

·
Premium Member
18,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahiy maytees the thermosshtat is broak, the yardaom is over the sun an parst is on order, running on water and awithout thermostat right now till parts come in, coulda swore it was gonna be a pumbt.

·
Premium Member
14,369 Posts
At least it was an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Just refilled mine as had to do valve clearances. Found the easiest way was to clip all the hoses on but leave the rad bracket on the left unbolted then you can fill it from a 1L (Quart bottle) obviously in my case the front wheel and mudguard was off for access to the valves

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
there is no air bleed bolt like the b400 on the engine exit hose back to radiator?

·
Premium Member
14,369 Posts
there is no air bleed bolt like the b400 on the engine exit hose back to radiator?
There is no air bleed bolt on the 650. But you can accomplish much the same thing by leaving the air vent hose at the thermostat housing off while you fill the radiator. When coolant starts running out of it put the hose back on.

·
Premium Member
18,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good to know when I put the thermostat back in, right now it's just running antifreeze while waiting for the thermostat to come in, a week to ten days, about 600 miles max

1 - 13 of 13 Posts